Cheap(ish) SQL server..

I was wondering what would be a good database server for use as a
Server in a Client/Server configuration, running over a network using
a Delphi program as the client.

The company I work for is interested in using this setup as a
replacement for our current system which is basically a program on
each computer, that sucks the database files across the network
connection, which is a bit inefficient as one of the links is a
digital phone line and is restricted in bandwidth.

I was under the impression that a Client/Server approach, where the
client sends a request and the server only sends results would be more
efficient.

What could be used as a Server?  I was thinking of Interbase 4.0 for
FreeBSD (or Linux)...is it possible to link to this over a network
using Delphi?

Thanks

Michael

Re:Cheap(ish) SQL server..

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999 09:31:42 GMT, mruf...@slowmicrotech.com.au

(Michael Ruffin) wrote:
>I was wondering what would be a good database server for use as a
>Server in a Client/Server configuration, running over a network using
>a Delphi program as the client.

>The company I work for is interested in using this setup as a
>replacement for our current system which is basically a program on
>each computer, that sucks the database files across the network
>connection, which is a bit inefficient as one of the links is a
>digital phone line and is restricted in bandwidth.

>I was under the impression that a Client/Server approach, where the
>client sends a request and the server only sends results would be more
>efficient.

>What could be used as a Server?  I was thinking of Interbase 4.0 for
>FreeBSD (or Linux)...is it possible to link to this over a network
>using Delphi?

To develop a C/S application you need a C/S Delphi version.  This
comes with an Interbase Server with included a 5 user license.  We use
it on NT, but it may be installable on Win95.

Regards,

--
Marco Rocci
MicroEra srl

Re:Cheap(ish) SQL server..

>I was wondering what would be a good database server for use as a
>Server in a Client/Server configuration, running over a network using
>a Delphi program as the client.

>The company I work for is interested in using this setup as a
>replacement for our current system which is basically a program on
>each computer, that sucks the database files across the network
>connection, which is a bit inefficient as one of the links is a
>digital phone line and is restricted in bandwidth.

>I was under the impression that a Client/Server approach, where the
>client sends a request and the server only sends results would be more
>efficient.

>What could be used as a Server?  I was thinking of Interbase 4.0 for
>FreeBSD (or Linux)...is it possible to link to this over a network
>using Delphi?

>Thanks

>Michael

It really depends on type of application, number of users,... and naturally
on experience of staff.

We use Sybase SQL Anywhere for most of our projects and is very good.
Interbase for Linux is also a good choice because it's a good server and
server side is free.
If you need a heavy load (thousands of very busy users), you may consider
DB2, Oracle, Informix,....

--
----------------------
Regards

(Michael Ruffin) wrote:
>I was wondering what would be a good database server for use as a
>Server in a Client/Server configuration, running over a network using
>a Delphi program as the client.

>The company I work for is interested in using this setup as a
>replacement for our current system which is basically a program on
>each computer, that sucks the database files across the network
>connection, which is a bit inefficient as one of the links is a
>digital phone line and is restricted in bandwidth.

>I was under the impression that a Client/Server approach, where the
>client sends a request and the server only sends results would be more
>efficient.

>What could be used as a Server?  I was thinking of Interbase 4.0 for
>FreeBSD (or Linux)...is it possible to link to this over a network
>using Delphi?

>Thanks

>Michael

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999 09:31:42 GMT, in comp.lang.pascal.delphi.databases

you wrote:
>I was wondering what would be a good database server for use as a
>Server in a Client/Server configuration, running over a network using
>a Delphi program as the client.

>The company I work for is interested in using this setup as a
>replacement for our current system which is basically a program on
>each computer, that sucks the database files across the network
>connection, which is a bit inefficient as one of the links is a
>digital phone line and is restricted in bandwidth.

>I was under the impression that a Client/Server approach, where the
>client sends a request and the server only sends results would be more
>efficient.

>What could be used as a Server?  I was thinking of Interbase 4.0 for
>FreeBSD (or Linux)...is it possible to link to this over a network
>using Delphi?

>Thanks

>Michael

Inprise offers a free version of Interbase (v4.0 ?) for Linux.
However, Inprise said that this version runs on Red Hat v4.2 only.
Compatiblities problems have already been reported for running this
version of Interbase on Red Hat v5.x.  Therefore it really depends if
you can find Red Hat v4.2 for this free offer.  Please check Interbase
homepage (www.interbase.com) for details.

If you don't mind MS product, you can try MS Small Business Server
(includes MS NT & MS SQL Server).  For 15 user-licenses, it costs you
about US$2,000.  However, the hardware has to be quite powerful.

I am currently using SOLID for Linux.  I have it installed on a Red
Hat v5.1 server and used ODBC (provided from SOLID) for accessing
data.  SOLID costs you US$199 per user license.  However, it seems
that ODBC does not support TStoredProc.  Please check SOLID homepage
for detail (www.solidtech.com)

Angus Lin
S.A., AT&N

Re:Cheap(ish) SQL server..

Michael Ruffin wrote:

> I was wondering what would be a good database server for use as a
> Server in a Client/Server configuration, running over a network using
> a Delphi program as the client.

> The company I work for is interested in using this setup as a
> replacement for our current system which is basically a program on
> each computer, that sucks the database files across the network
> connection, which is a bit inefficient as one of the links is a
> digital phone line and is restricted in bandwidth.

> I was under the impression that a Client/Server approach, where the
> client sends a request and the server only sends results would be more
> efficient.

> What could be used as a Server?  I was thinking of Interbase 4.0 for
> FreeBSD (or Linux)...is it possible to link to this over a network
> using Delphi?

I have had excellent success with FlashFiler from TurboPower. It
provides both a fast server that you can distribute freely with
no per-user or per-server charges and components that replace
the BDE (Delphi 1,2) or provide a TDataSet (Delphi 3,4) for use
in communicating with the server component. It is not a full
SQL database. It is basically between a full sql database and
good old DBF files on a server.

Basic processing such as setting ranges (ex. parent child
relations) are done on the server which saves the clients
from reading indexes. All in all I have found it an
excellent product when needs require something more than
DBF files but do not need a full SQL database. It certainly
scales better then DBF files.

http://www.turbopower.com/products/flashfiler/

Brian Evans

Re:Cheap(ish) SQL server..

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999 09:31:42 GMT, mruf...@slowmicrotech.com.au (Michael Ruffin) wrote:
>I was wondering what would be a good database server for use as a
>Server in a Client/Server configuration, running over a network using
>a Delphi program as the client.

>The company I work for is interested in using this setup as a
>replacement for our current system which is basically a program on
>each computer, that sucks the database files across the network
>connection, which is a bit inefficient as one of the links is a
>digital phone line and is restricted in bandwidth.

>I was under the impression that a Client/Server approach, where the
>client sends a request and the server only sends results would be more
>efficient.

>What could be used as a Server?  I was thinking of Interbase 4.0 for
>FreeBSD (or Linux)...is it possible to link to this over a network
>using Delphi?

>Thanks

>Michael

You might want to take a look at TurboPower Software's FlashFiler. It seems to be pretty robust, and
has reasonable performance. It doesn't use SQL, but has its own table, database, and session
components. The manual is not very good (surprising from TurboPower!), but there's a very active
newsgroup hosted at news.turbopower.com devoted to it.

Re:Cheap(ish) SQL server..

Michael Ruffin wrote in message <369f0933.4228...@news.speed.net.au>...
>I was wondering what would be a good database server for use as a
>Server in a Client/Server configuration, running over a network using
>a Delphi program as the client.
>What could be used as a Server?  I was thinking of Interbase 4.0 for
>FreeBSD (or Linux)...is it possible to link to this over a network
>using Delphi?

There is also MySQL for Linux, which has the option of buying support if
you decide you need that. Check out http://www.tcx.se/

I'd suggest checking the BDE alternatives page, www.KyleCordes.com
Many of these do not require Delphi C/S, so you can save a bundle if
you're going to be buying Delphi for this project.

Moz

Re:Cheap(ish) SQL server..

>To develop a C/S application you need a C/S
>Delphi version.

Delphi C/S version is needed if using SQL Links
drivers to a server, which is what most people do.
Strictly speaking though it's possible to develop
c/s database apps using Delphi Professional
by using either ODBC or a BDE replacement.
  http://www.kylecordes.com/bag/index.html

>[Delphi C/S] comes with an Interbase Server
>with included a 5 user license.

Yes, but it's not redistributable.  It might as well
"include" a 500 user license for all it's worth.

Inprise have been bundling promotional copies
of Interbase with their compilers for some time,
but it's *not* free.  Sure it lets you write and test
Local Interbase apps in-house with up to five
terminals, but the moment you sell it to a
customer they need to buy an Interbase licence
for their server and seats.  Nowadays practically
all c/s database vendors offer free trial versions.
(AFAIK about the only royalty-free C/S engine
is TurboPower's FlashFiler.)

The main benefit of prototyping with Local IB
is that each version of the BDE usually gets
tested against it prior to release (which is a
big plus if you're going to depend on an
under-documented 15MB binary).

Re:Cheap(ish) SQL server..

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999 18:28:34 +1100, "Grant Walker"

<g...@zzenternet.com.au.zznospam> wrote:
>Delphi C/S version is needed if using SQL Links
>drivers to a server, which is what most people do.
>Strictly speaking though it's possible to develop
>c/s database apps using Delphi Professional
>by using either ODBC or a BDE replacement.

You're right, but I wanted to keep it simple.

>>[Delphi C/S] comes with an Interbase Server
>>with included a 5 user license.

>Yes, but it's not redistributable.  It might as well
>"include" a 500 user license for all it's worth.

Again I agree, but I had the impression this guy was looking for a
server for their own system.  In this case the IB license bundled
would be OK, although limited to 5 users.

Regards,

--
Marco Rocci
MicroEra srl

Re:Cheap(ish) SQL server..

If you want to run on Linux look into PostgreSQL and mySQL. Both are
extremely good and cheap. mySQL(there is a small cost for redistribution)
is the fastest SQL server on the planet, but it is missing transactions.
PostgreSQL(free) is very full featured, but is not as fast as mySQL.

To the person who told you that you needed the C/S version of Delphi for
C/S development:

That is totally untrue. You get some nice controls to interface with the
Interbase server and a 5 user copy of Interbase with the C/S Version. If
you want to use some other SQL server (like mySQL or PostgreSQL) all you
need is a copy of Delphi with ODBC support. The C/S version might come
with the Direct Oracel Access stuff too, but if you can affored $300 per
seat for Oracle licenses, you can afford Delphi C/S :)

Happy Programming!

Jason McKnight

Michael Ruffin wrote:
> I was wondering what would be a good database server for use as a
> Server in a Client/Server configuration, running over a network using
> a Delphi program as the client.

> The company I work for is interested in using this setup as a
> replacement for our current system which is basically a program on
> each computer, that sucks the database files across the network
> connection, which is a bit inefficient as one of the links is a
> digital phone line and is restricted in bandwidth.

> I was under the impression that a Client/Server approach, where the
> client sends a request and the server only sends results would be more
> efficient.

> What could be used as a Server?  I was thinking of Interbase 4.0 for
> FreeBSD (or Linux)...is it possible to link to this over a network
> using Delphi?

> Thanks

> Michael

Re:Cheap(ish) SQL server..

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999 15:48:28 GMT, mrocciNOS...@tin.it (Marco Rocci)
wrote:

>To develop a C/S application you need a C/S Delphi version.

Not if you're using Interbase ! The Pro version of Delphi already
includes the SQL link drivers for Interbase. Big plus !

Marc

Marc Scheuner                            Berner Versicherungen, Dept. ISV
May the Source be With You               Laupenstrasse 27
marc.scheu...@berner.ch                  CH-3001 BERNE, Switzerland

(Michael Ruffin) wrote:
>I was wondering what would be a good database server for use as a
>Server in a Client/Server configuration, running over a network using
>a Delphi program as the client.

I'd put my vote in for Interbase. If you have anything more than just
2 or 3 users, and if you're doing more than just basic address
management, you'll be very glad you picked a full-blown SQL database!

You can get Interbase at about $200 per client, I think, it most
cases, less (per seat) on larger installations obviously. If you can
afford to include that in your pricing / budget, go for it!

Marc Scheuner wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jan 1999 09:31:42 GMT, mruf...@slowmicrotech.com.au
> (Michael Ruffin) wrote:
> >I was wondering what would be a good database server for use as a
> >Server in a Client/Server configuration, running over a network using
> >a Delphi program as the client.

> I'd put my vote in for Interbase. If you have anything more than just
> 2 or 3 users, and if you're doing more than just basic address
> management, you'll be very glad you picked a full-blown SQL database!

> You can get Interbase at about $200 per client, I think, it most
> cases, less (per seat) on larger installations obviously. If you can
> afford to include that in your pricing / budget, go for it!

> Marc

I will also recommend Interbase.  If you would like to avoid the BDE, you
should look into IB_Objects (www.ibobjects.com ?) which you can use with
Delphi Pro (no C/S needed).  There are also other non-BDE solutions for IB, go
to www.interbase.com.

Aage J.

Re:Cheap(ish) SQL server..

Aage Johansen wrote:
> I will also recommend Interbase.    ... ...

There is a very good NG (on IB) at news.mers.com.

Aage J.

Re:Cheap(ish) SQL server..

Sybase have released their server for Linux free (including no restriction on
commercial use!). Haven't tried it so I cannot comment on its quality, but the
earlier releases were not bad, so it might be worth a look...

Martin.

Other Threads