Board index » delphi » compiling large programs in TP7

compiling large programs in TP7

Hi! I use Turbo Pascal 7.0 in my projects and it seems that my programs
are getting huge by the moment. When i include too many (LARGE) units
in the USES clause, then compile using the IDE, i get a out of memory.
I use the TP7 IDE in compiling my programs, and will the use of command-
line compiler TPC solve the problem?? Also, when i use TPX, the IDE of
TPX gives me some funny errors although my program is correct!? What is
the limit of the TP (and TPX) IDE when it come to compiling large
programs? thats all and thanks people!!

-Dexter

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 

Re:compiling large programs in TP7


Quote
In article <8pi5gg$m9...@nnrp1.deja.com>,  <dexter...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>Hi! I use Turbo Pascal 7.0 in my projects and it seems that my programs
>are getting huge by the moment. When i include too many (LARGE) units
>in the USES clause, then compile using the IDE, i get a out of memory.
>I use the TP7 IDE in compiling my programs, and will the use of command-
>line compiler TPC solve the problem?? Also, when i use TPX, the IDE of
>TPX gives me some funny errors although my program is correct!? What is
>the limit of the TP (and TPX) IDE when it come to compiling large
>programs? thats all and thanks people!!

"Funny errors" is not very descriptive. Please be more specific. What
kind of errors you get and when.

Does TPX use a different initialization file (BP does not have TPX so I
cannot tell). Maybe you need to set the configuration inside TPX also.

Osmo

Re:compiling large programs in TP7


dexter...@my-deja.com heeft geschreven in bericht
<8pi5gg$m9...@nnrp1.deja.com>...

Quote
>Hi! I use Turbo Pascal 7.0 in my projects and it seems that my
programs
>are getting huge by the moment. When i include too many (LARGE) units
>in the USES clause, then compile using the IDE, i get a out of
memory.
>I use the TP7 IDE in compiling my programs, and will the use of
command-
>line compiler TPC solve the problem?? Also, when i use TPX, the IDE
of
>TPX gives me some funny errors although my program is correct!? What
is
>the limit of the TP (and TPX) IDE when it come to compiling large
>programs? thats all and thanks people!!

>-Dexter

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Just guessing, but if you encounter 'out of memory' and funny errors,
maybe you
have forgotten to set the compiler destination to 'to disk' by the
installation program?

Greetings, Huub.

Re:compiling large programs in TP7


Quote
dexter...@my-deja.com wrote:
>Hi! I use Turbo Pascal 7.0 in my projects and it seems that my programs
>are getting huge by the moment. When i include too many (LARGE) units
>in the USES clause, then compile using the IDE, i get a out of memory.

With TP7, you probably need to resort to overlays.  BP7 handles
large programs easily, if you can get it.

Jud McCranie

Re:compiling large programs in TP7


Quote
Jud McCranie wrote:

> dexter...@my-deja.com wrote:

> >Hi! I use Turbo Pascal 7.0 in my projects and it seems that my programs
> >are getting huge by the moment. When i include too many (LARGE) units
> >in the USES clause, then compile using the IDE, i get a out of memory.

> With TP7, you probably need to resort to overlays.  BP7 handles
> large programs easily, if you can get it.

> Jud McCranie

Hi

I've had that 'out of memory message' when using BP7, usually after
working/modifying a program and having 6 or seven edit windows open.
After closing all but one edit window it would compile--usually.
Sometimes after further work I would get the same message. I then exit
BP7 and restart. Then it works again for a while and maybe for the whole
session.

I was puzzled that when I moved to a computer that had scads more memory
and Win 95 the problem occurred more often. Finally I looked at the
memory TAB in the properties of the shortcut to BP7 and changed the
"MS-DOS Protected Mode (DPMI) memory" section from "auto" to "4096". I
seldom get "out of memory" now.

IMHO BP7 has a memory leak.

Another limit is the total number of variables in the program including
the units, but this gives a different error message.

Regards Hanford

Re:compiling large programs in TP7


Quote
>"MS-DOS Protected Mode (DPMI) memory" section from "auto" to "4096". I
>seldom get "out of memory" now.

Do you have > 64 MB memory?

Re:compiling large programs in TP7


Quote
"Hanford W. Carr" wrote:

> Jud McCranie wrote:

> > dexter...@my-deja.com wrote:

> > >Hi! I use Turbo Pascal 7.0 in my projects and it seems that my programs
> > >are getting huge by the moment. When i include too many (LARGE) units
> > >in the USES clause, then compile using the IDE, i get a out of memory.

> > With TP7, you probably need to resort to overlays.  BP7 handles
> > large programs easily, if you can get it.

> Hi

> I've had that 'out of memory message' when using BP7, usually after
> working/modifying a program and having 6 or seven edit windows open.
> After closing all but one edit window it would compile--usually.
> Sometimes after further work I would get the same message. I then exit
> BP7 and restart. Then it works again for a while and maybe for the whole
> session.

> I was puzzled that when I moved to a computer that had scads more memory
> and Win 95 the problem occurred more often. Finally I looked at the
> memory TAB in the properties of the shortcut to BP7 and changed the
> "MS-DOS Protected Mode (DPMI) memory" section from "auto" to "4096". I
> seldom get "out of memory" now.

> IMHO BP7 has a memory leak.

> Another limit is the total number of variables in the program including
> the units, but this gives a different error message.

He uses TP7 not BP7! TP7 don't run in DMPI like BP does. TP could use
EMS, so you must increase the amount of avaiable EMS for TP.

Greetings
--
Juergen
DO NOT EMAIL - REPLY TO GROUP ONLY

Re:compiling large programs in TP7


Marco van de Voort wrote:

Quote

> >"MS-DOS Protected Mode (DPMI) memory" section from "auto" to "4096". I
> >seldom get "out of memory" now.

> Do you have > 64 MB memory?

The problem occurred on a computer with 8 MB, 16 MB and 48 MB(as you can
see I've been using BP7 for a long time) and it probably would occur on
my current 128 MB machine if only I used it enough.

Regards Hanford

Re:compiling large programs in TP7


"Hanford W. Carr" <handyc...@mediaone.net> wrote:

Quote
>I've had that 'out of memory message' when using BP7, usually after
>working/modifying a program and having 6 or seven edit windows open.
>After closing all but one edit window it would compile--usually.

Having too many windows open can cause that problem, but I've
never had the problem if I didn't have too many windows open.

Jud McCranie

Re:compiling large programs in TP7


<dexter...@my-deja.com> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
8pi5gg$m9...@nnrp1.deja.com...

Quote
> Hi! I use Turbo Pascal 7.0 in my projects and it seems that my programs
> are getting huge by the moment. When i include too many (LARGE) units
> in the USES clause, then compile using the IDE, i get a out of memory.
> I use the TP7 IDE in compiling my programs, and will the use of command-
> line compiler TPC solve the problem?? Also, when i use TPX, the IDE of
> TPX gives me some funny errors although my program is correct!? What is
> the limit of the TP (and TPX) IDE when it come to compiling large
> programs? thats all and thanks people!!

> -Dexter

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

(Antwort leider nicht in Englisch m?glich)
Ich habe auch das Problem gehabt, das nach einer Weile Editieren, Debuggen
und Run's
fr Neukompilationen nicht genug Speicher da war.
(After some runs's/debug's lost of dos/extmem. Then new build can stops with
memory error)
Bei mir lag es daran, das meine Sourcen den Speicher sehr unsauber wieder
freigaben.
(The reason was the very bad deallokation of my sources)
Das hei?t das NACH Programmstarts (Run's) von der IDE aus weniger Speicher
frei war
als DAVOR. Das m?te von Ihnen aber feststellbar sein.
In der Infobox der IDE (Anzeige des freien Erweiterungsspeicher) mu? das
vorher/nachher beobachtet werden.
(Show in the infobox of the IDE for this.)
Erst ein Dosneustart l?st das Problem (der unsauberen deallokationen)
wieder.

W?hrend der Kompilation (oder Build) mu? die Angabe ber freien
Erweiterungsspeicher
beobachtet werden.
(View at the extmem size during built/compilation)
Der Startwert sollte mindestens 6..7 MB betragen ! Das reicht dann fr
200000-300000
Zeilen.
(The minimum for 200000...300000 rows is 6..7 MB of extmem)
Fr einen schnelleren Start der IDE und anderer Programme habe ich die Gr??e
des dpmimem
reduziert (mit SET DMPIMEM=MAXMEM 8000 in den Startdateien eines reinen
DOS).

Other Threads