Oracle 8.1.6.0.0, BDE 5.01, D3 random errors

Hi friends,

We have been experiencing random problems like 'Invalid column name', 'End
of communication channel' while using Oracle 8.1.6.0.0 database Server, BDE
5.01 with Delphi 3 programs. Oracle client version didn't matter. If you
click OK for errors and try to do the same thing, problem may not appear!!.
It may never appear gain, but it may show at another place. We do not have
such problems with Oracle 8.1.5 or earlier. It looks like the compatibility
problems between BDE 5.01 and the Oracle 8.1.6. This oracle version has new
feature of automatically replacing the  literals with bind variables to
avoid the SQL-parsing for each user to give faster responces. Is this
feature is conflicting with BDE 5.01?

Does the BDE bind variables and send to oracle as literal or does it inform
to oracle to bind so and so value to so and so variable?

Anybody else has gotten into any problems with 8.1.6 and BDE 5.01?

Will the new BDE 5.11 help?

How come the BDE relase notes not differentiate between oracle 8 versions?
It only refers to them all as oracle_8! Annoying indeed.

Any response will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Bhaskar

Re:Oracle 8.1.6.0.0, BDE 5.01, D3 random errors

If you're serious about using Oracle, buy ODAC or DOA
(www.allroundautomations.nl).  You will have endless difficulties with
SqlLinks.

John Pierce

Re:Oracle 8.1.6.0.0, BDE 5.01, D3 random errors

Thank you Jorge for the informative responce. We have had several problems connecting to oracle 8, even with 5.01 with TField sizes and all. Ora 8.1.5 and bde 5.01 are OK, with 8.1.6 we have these random problems. How would you know in more detail that what's up on web site the bugs fixed in next version of BDE. Before going to BDE 5.11, I want to know what fixes did they do.

Thanks, Bhaskar.
  Jorge Quiroga <jquir...@humboldt.org.co> wrote in message news:3AD1BAB8.AC402162@humboldt.org.co...
  Greetings,
  Well Until I know BDE 5.11 is certified until Oracle 8.1.5 and is the last version, I can't work with Oracle 8.1.6 because when the data is posted un error appear. So, the problem is work with the BDE and meanwhile Borland update the BDE we have to work with another connectivity software or stay with Oracle 8.1.5.

  I hope that this help you

     Jorge Quiroga

  Bhaskar Rao wrote:

[...]

I have a similar problem   (D5+Update Pack 1, BDE 5.01, Oracle 8.1.6)

INSERT/UPDATE queries sometimes (lets say, once in 10000 times) can not
access data that was inserted/updated in the same transaction. When I repeat
the query after some delay it *may* work, but sometimes I have to rollback
and try again. For example:

START TRANSACTION
UPDATE SomeTable SET ImportantField = :Param
UPDATE OtherTable SET Field = (SELECT Field FROM SomeTable WHERE
ImportantField = :Param)

First UPDATE works ok  (RowsAffected > 0)
Second UPDATE *sometimes* does not work  (RowsAffected = 0)
There are no other users messing with data at the run time.

The "solution" was to put Sleep(1000) between two queries. Once happened
that Sleep(500) didn't help, but with 1 second delay it works so far. If it
fails again, I rollback and restart the transaction - this always works.
This is not totally random behaviour, since there are some queries that fail
more often than the others, but I still can not reproduce and test it. I
will install BDE 5.11 now and see what happens.

Any help appreciated in the mean time.

Srdjan Dakic

"Bhaskar Rao" <b...@wyndgate.com> wrote in message news:3ad08b25$1_2@dnews...

> We have been experiencing random problems like 'Invalid column name', 'End
> of communication channel' while using Oracle 8.1.6.0.0 database Server,
BDE
> 5.01 with Delphi 3 programs. Oracle client version didn't matter. If you
> click OK for errors and try to do the same thing, problem may not
appear!!.
> It may never appear gain, but it may show at another place.

Other Threads