Looking for code/algorithms to detect peaks

I am looking for some Borland Pascal code that can determine peaks
of some data collected from an A/D converter.  The data has rather
sharp peaks, and then some smaller peaks, where the data has leveled
off to a lower voltage.  Please post any replies to this group.

Thank you,

Mike McWhinney
Chief Engineer
elja, Inc.

Re:Looking for code/algorithms to detect peaks

Mike McWhinney wrote in message <352cdcde.1355...@news.mixcom.com>...
>I am looking for some Borland Pascal code that can determine peaks
>of some data collected from an A/D converter.  The data has rather
>sharp peaks, and then some smaller peaks, where the data has leveled
>off to a lower voltage.  Please post any replies to this group.

>Thank you,

>Mike McWhinney
>Chief Engineer
>elja, Inc.

Are you looking for a software high-pass filter ?
Bean, th...@igateway.com

Mike McWhinney wrote:
> I am looking for some Borland Pascal code that can determine peaks
> of some data collected from an A/D converter.  The data has rather
> sharp peaks, and then some smaller peaks, where the data has leveled
> off to a lower voltage.  Please post any replies to this group.

     In my experience (I've done this, actually), the algorithm is
somewhat driven by
the appearance of the data, and the criteria "What is a peak?".  Some
things to think
about include (a) looking for places where the deviation-from-the-mean
exceeds, say,
three standard deviations; (b) looking for places with large
first-differences (a crude
approximation to the first derivative); (c) simply finding the max
value.  Note that "real
data" tends to be noisy, which means that it is sometimes helpful to
smooth it somewhat before doing things that involve derivatives.

Bob Schor
Pascal Enthusiast

Other Threads