Simple Delphi/Paradox Question

Greetings....

When using the database desktop to restructure a new Paradox 7
table just created, the restructure window sometimes says
that it is restructuring a Paradox 4 table, sometimes a Paradox 5
table, but -never- says it is a Paradox 7 table, even though I
had just created it with Paradox 7  (I bought Paradox 7 separately).

Any clues?

Regards, John

Re:Simple Delphi/Paradox Question

John Osborne <josbo...@magna.com.au> writes:
> Greetings....

> When using the database desktop to restructure a new Paradox 7
> table just created, the restructure window sometimes says
> that it is restructuring a Paradox 4 table, sometimes a Paradox 5
> table, but -never- says it is a Paradox 7 table, even though I
> had just created it with Paradox 7  (I bought Paradox 7 separately).

> Any clues?

> Regards, John

Hi John,

I have seen the same things, I belive that the database desktop
that ships with Delphi only saves paradox formats upto version 5.
It maybe trying to keep maximun compatibility by saving the tables
in the lowest paradox version possible.  I have had tables that when
I add certain field types, upgrade from version 4 to 5 when saving
the changes.

This is just speculation.

Good Luck,

Rick Byrd
Alpine-Tech Systems Inc.
http://www.mind.net/alpine

Re:Simple Delphi/Paradox Question

The reason for the confusion is probably a simple one.  Even though
you have Paradox 7, if the fields you are creating are only using the
fields available up through Paradox 4 instead of the the addt'l field
types used in Paradox 7 then it is only going to save it in that
format.  For Example: If you create a table with just Alpha fields it
will only save it as Paradox 4, but if you add an Increment Field
which is new in the Windows version of Paradox it will save it in that
format.

Hope this helps..

Michael

On Mon, 29 Apr 1996 19:40:25 +1100, John Osborne

<josbo...@magna.com.au> wrote:
>When using the database desktop to restructure a new Paradox 7
>table just created, the restructure window sometimes says
>that it is restructuring a Paradox 4 table, sometimes a Paradox 5
>table, but -never- says it is a Paradox 7 table, even though I
>had just created it with Paradox 7  (I bought Paradox 7 separately).

>Any clues?

I think the BDE creates table in the lowest level compatible format
possible,  based on the fields you use.

Russell Weetch
and UK Index is at http://www.ukindex.co.uk

John Osborne wrote:

> Greetings....

> When using the database desktop to restructure a new Paradox 7
> table just created, the restructure window sometimes says
> that it is restructuring a Paradox 4 table, sometimes a Paradox 5
> table, but -never- says it is a Paradox 7 table, even though I
> had just created it with Paradox 7  (I bought Paradox 7 separately).

> Any clues?

  The reason is that the system tries to facilitate backward
compatability.  If none of the fields or indexes that you
request in your table make use of the newer features, the table
is created as the earlier generation.  This does not impact
performance.  If you want to see a change to P7, try requesting a
decreasing sort on an index.

The advantage of this approach is that tables you create can
be shared with other users who might not have the most up-to-date
versions of the BDE.

--
Paul Schopf                           mailto://sch...@gsfc.nasa.gov
Coupled Climate Dynamics Group/971    http://ccdg.gsfc.nasa.gov/~paul

John Osborne wrote:

> Greetings....

> When using the database desktop to restructure a new Paradox 7
> table just created, the restructure window sometimes says
> that it is restructuring a Paradox 4 table, sometimes a Paradox 5
> table, but -never- says it is a Paradox 7 table, even though I
> had just created it with Paradox 7  (I bought Paradox 7 separately).

> Any clues?

> Regards, John

The table "version" depends on the Data types supported in the table. As
BI upgraded Paradox they added data tyes like AutoIncrement and Long
Integer. Version 3 only had Alpha, Short, Number and Date. 4 added Memo
(I think) and a few others. When you build a table Paradox looks at the
Data fields and figures the "type" you need based on the data types you
selected. (I think)

I haven't used P7 but try this. Create a simple type 4 table with an
alpha field. Then restructure it and add an Integer field. This will
force an upgrade to the table. Try creating a new table with a P7 data
type. That should force a Version 7 Table.

Of course this is just based on what I have observed, and full of rampant
hearsay.

=8-)

Matthew

Matthew McDermott
McDermott Enterprises
matt...@valleynet.com
My Web Page: http://www.valleynet.com/~matthew
Director of Information Services & Adjunct Professor - Mathematics
The American College of Prehospital Medicine: http://www.acpm.edu/

Re:Simple Delphi/Paradox Question

> I haven't used P7 but try this. Create a simple type 4 table with an
> alpha field. Then restructure it and add an Integer field. This will
> force an upgrade to the table. Try creating a new table with a P7 data
> type. That should force a Version 7 Table.

> Of course this is just based on what I have observed, and full of rampant
> hearsay.

> =8-)

> Matthew

If what you say is true (and it appears to be) then why even ask us what
version of paradox tables to use?

Other Threads