BDE error number 9987 - Invalid File Name

I'm just getting started with Delphi 6 (Windows2K pro).
I create a paradox database in Database Desktop 7 and save it to my
directory just fine. Now when I when try to hook up the associated
TTable with a DBGrid, I get a BDE error number 9987 - Invalid File Name.

Can anyone shed some light on this problem?

Thanks
Greg

Re:BDE error number 9987 - Invalid File Name

Borland is no longer developing the BDE (see
http://community.borland.com/article/0,1410,28688,00.html) and is not
recommending its use. If you want to learn database programming either
user InterBase, or, if you prefer something easier to deplay for
single user applications take a look at the Advantage Local Server
from Extended Systems (its free).

--
Bill (TeamB)

Bill Todd schrieb:

> Borland is no longer developing the BDE (see
> http://community.borland.com/article/0,1410,28688,00.html) and is not
> recommending its use. If you want to learn database programming either
> user InterBase, or, if you prefer something easier to deplay for
> single user applications take a look at the Advantage Local Server
> from Extended Systems (its free).

That doesn't seem to be relevant to the problem at hand - see below.

> On Mon, 25 Nov 2002 19:00:29 -0600, Greg <greg.appley...@usask.ca>
> wrote:

>>I'm just getting started with Delphi 6 (Windows2K pro).
>>I create a paradox database in Database Desktop 7 and save it to my
>>directory just fine. Now when I when try to hook up the associated
>>TTable with a DBGrid, I get a BDE error number 9987 - Invalid File Name.

>>Can anyone shed some light on this problem?

Normally you don't connect your TTable directly with a DBGrid. You
connect the TTable to a TDataSource and the TDataSource with the DBGrid.
  The name of the TTable is the Dataset property of the TDataSource and
the name of the TDataSource is the Datasource property of the DBGrid.

I can't say I'm absolutely certain that you cannot omit the TDataSource,
but I never saw a working example without it. And as far as I know that
doesn't depend on your using the BDE - it's the same thing with the
Interbase Express components or with ADO.

There should be a "Getting started" booklet with Delphi 6 containing a
tutorial which does exactly this sort of thing.

HTH
Koczian

--
Dr. Sibylle Koczian
Universitaetsbibliothek , Abt. Naturwiss.

Tel.: (0821) 598-2400, Fax : (0821) 598-2410
e-mail : Sibylle.Kocz...@Bibliothek.Uni-Augsburg.DE

Other Threads