dbiDorestructure Help

Darren Whaley wrote:
> Does anyone out there have sample code on how to manipualte the order of
> fields within a Paradox table? (ie make the last field the first field for
> KEY purposes)

as a general rule, a SQL ALTER TABLE is preferred over a Restructure..

--

Steve Green - Diamond Software Group, Inc - Waldorf Maryland USA
Corel CTech Paradox - http://www.diamondsg.com - Support/Downloads/Links

Do you need a Sanity Check? http://www.diamondsg.com/sanity.htm
Upgrade/Downgrade versions? http://www.diamondsg.com/upgrade.htm

Re:dbiDorestructure Help

Does anyone out there have sample code on how to manipualte the order of
fields within a Paradox table? (ie make the last field the first field for
KEY purposes)

I have searched high and low!
They say it can be done, but no one seems to know how programatically.

I am aware of all the workarounds and data copying and table recreation...
blah blah blah. Someone must have done this properly.

Thanks

Re:dbiDorestructure Help

As far as I know, what I ask can not be done using SQL.

Re:dbiDorestructure Help

Better than restructure is to make a new table with the desired
structure, copy the data over to the new table, rename the old
table, then name the new table to what the old table was.

When changing the field order (or inserting fields other than at
the end) of a Paradox table, you have to run table repair to get
the header to update properly.  So in the end, the new table
method is probably better.

Liz

Darren Whaley wrote:

> Does anyone out there have sample code on how to manipualte the order of
> fields within a Paradox table? (ie make the last field the first field for
> KEY purposes)

> I have searched high and low!
> They say it can be done, but no one seems to know how programatically.

> I am aware of all the workarounds and data copying and table recreation...
> blah blah blah. Someone must have done this properly.

> Thanks

Re:dbiDorestructure Help

You are correct. It cannot.

On Sun, 24 Nov 2002 08:04:58 -0600, "Darren Whaley"

<DNospamWha...@Discover-Net.Net> wrote:
>As far as I know, what I ask can not be done using SQL.

--
Bill (TeamB)

Re:dbiDorestructure Help

> Does anyone out there have sample code on how to manipualte the order of
> fields within a Paradox table? (ie make the last field the first field for
> KEY purposes)

I assume you want to update the structure of a Paradox table at a remote
site based on the structure of the table on your workstation ? If so, I can
send you code that does this and that I have used for over 4 years with
remote clients everywhere. Contact me directly.

Olivier

Other Threads