Delphi installation - 2 questions

1. I have Delphi 5 Professional installed, and there seem to be many sample
programs and source code files which could be useful to study.  I see likely
files in subdirectories of Delphi5 called DEMOS, DOC, HELP\EXAMPLES, SOURCE.
However there is little or no information describing the contents of these
directories (or any other part of the installation) - readmes are no use
even where they exist, installation notes contain nothing on this, etc.
Does anyone know of a document which describes how to understand what a
Delphi 5 Professional installation creates - it must be a common problem!

2. Before installing Delphi 5, I had Delphi 2.0 installed on my machine.
Now I'm ready to remove Delphi 2.0, but I don't know which subdirectories of
c:\Program Files\Borland I can delete.  "Delphi5" and "Delphi 2.0" are clear
enough, but what of "Common Files", "Database Desktop", "Intrbase",
"RptSmith", "Rs_Run32"?  They seem to have been created by the installation
of Delphi 2.0, but are they still needed by Delphi 5, or can I get rid of
them? I have not knowingly made use of any of them.

Thanks for any help,
Ciarn Duibhn.

Re:Delphi installation - 2 questions

Ciarn Duibhn (cia...@oduibhin.freeserve.co.uk) wrote:
: 2. Before installing Delphi 5, I had Delphi 2.0 installed on my machine.
: Now I'm ready to remove Delphi 2.0, but I don't know which subdirectories of
: c:\Program Files\Borland I can delete.  "Delphi5" and "Delphi 2.0" are clear
: enough, but what of "Common Files", "Database Desktop", "Intrbase",
: "RptSmith", "Rs_Run32"?  They seem to have been created by the installation
: of Delphi 2.0, but are they still needed by Delphi 5, or can I get rid of
: them? I have not knowingly made use of any of them.

You'll be much better off to go to Task Mangager-Add/Remove
Programs and properly uninstall Delphi 2.  After doing so,
you may find that you need to reinstall Delphi 5 or the BDE,
so it might be best to make a backup first.
--
Rick Carter
carte...@email.uc.edu   Rick.Car...@ParadoxCommunity.com

Re:Delphi installation - 2 questions

OK, I removed Delphi 2.0 using the Add/Remove Programs, and as Richard
anticipated, had to reinstall Delphi 5 to restore some of the things that
went missing, like icons for most of the Delphi file types.

After reinstalling, I had icons again for DPR, PAS and DFM files, but
strangely the icon for DCU files did not reappear. I could attach the icon
myself, if I knew where to find it in the Delphi 5 directories.  Does anyone
know where it lurks?

This leads me to wonder about icons for things like RES, CFG, DOF files.  I
have been living happily without icons for these, but I'm now starting to
think I've been missing out. Have I?

Ciarn Duibhn.

"Richard Carter" <carte...@news.ececs.uc.edu> wrote in message

> Ciarn Duibhn (cia...@oduibhin.freeserve.co.uk) wrote:
> : 2. Before installing Delphi 5, I had Delphi 2.0 installed on my machine.
> : Now I'm ready to remove Delphi 2.0, but I don't know which
subdirectories of
> : c:\Program Files\Borland I can delete.  "Delphi5" and "Delphi 2.0" are
clear
> : enough, but what of "Common Files", "Database Desktop", "Intrbase",
> : "RptSmith", "Rs_Run32"?  They seem to have been created by the
installation
> : of Delphi 2.0, but are they still needed by Delphi 5, or can I get rid
of
> : them? I have not knowingly made use of any of them.

> You'll be much better off to go to Task Mangager-Add/Remove
> Programs and properly uninstall Delphi 2.  After doing so,
> you may find that you need to reinstall Delphi 5 or the BDE,
> so it might be best to make a backup first.
> --
> Rick Carter
> carte...@email.uc.edu   Rick.Car...@ParadoxCommunity.com
> Chair,   Paradox/Delphi SIG,   Cincinnati PC Users Group

Re:Delphi installation - 2 questions

I downloaded an icon extractor, and can now answer my own questions.

> After reinstalling, I had icons again for DPR, PAS and DFM files, but
> strangely the icon for DCU files did not reappear. I could attach the icon
> myself, if I knew where to find it in the Delphi 5 directories.  Does
anyone
> know where it lurks?

In DELPHI32.EXE, together with the icons for DPR, PAS, DFM and DPK.  The DPR
icon is one I'd never seen before, as my DPRs all carry the main icon of the
delphi32.exe application  (the blue one).

> This leads me to wonder about icons for things like RES, CFG, DOF files.
> have been living happily without icons for these, but I'm now starting to
> think I've been missing out. Have I?

It seems not.

Ciarn Duibhn.

Other Threads