Direct X or OpenGL

Hi there,

Im a second year CS Student looking to do a 3rd year project in
3D Graphics rendering.

I intend to use Delphi as a platform - but am having trouble choosing
betwen using DirectX and OpenGL.

Does anyone here have any advice / experience to help guide me in my
choice?

Thanks,

Nick.

Re:Direct X or OpenGL

"Nick" <cs...@warwick.ac.uk> wrote in message

> Hi there,

> Im a second year CS Student looking to do a 3rd year project in
> 3D Graphics rendering.

> I intend to use Delphi as a platform - but am having trouble choosing
> betwen using DirectX and OpenGL.

> Does anyone here have any advice / experience to help guide me in my
> choice?

Starting from essentially no knowledge of OpenGL programming (though I have
done a lot of 3 modelling, so the transformations were quite intuitive for
me), I picked it up to the point of lighting/texture mapping in about 10
hours using only the helpfiles, samples and to a small degree a book called
"Computer Graphics Using OpenGL" by F. S. Hill Jr.

Compare this to the 1 week I spent over the holidays bashing my head to get
DX to work properly, and I'd say OpenGL wins ands down in the usability
department, especially when using GLUT.

However, many "advanced" things (such as pixel shaders, volume textures,
bump mapping) are not easily accessible (if at all) in OpenGL. For these
things DX is probably the better route, at least until a new OpenGL spec
comes out and is supported.

--
Michael Brown

Re:Direct X or OpenGL

I agree with Michael,
DirectX is more complex, powerful (and slow?) than OpenGL;
it lacks portability, however, which means it is "windows only".

"Michael Brown" <s...@signature.below> wrote in message

> "Nick" <cs...@warwick.ac.uk> wrote in message
> > Hi there,

> > Im a second year CS Student looking to do a 3rd year project in
> > 3D Graphics rendering.

> > I intend to use Delphi as a platform - but am having trouble choosing
> > betwen using DirectX and OpenGL.

> > Does anyone here have any advice / experience to help guide me in my
> > choice?

> Starting from essentially no knowledge of OpenGL programming (though I
have
> done a lot of 3 modelling, so the transformations were quite intuitive for
> me), I picked it up to the point of lighting/texture mapping in about 10
> hours using only the helpfiles, samples and to a small degree a book
called
> "Computer Graphics Using OpenGL" by F. S. Hill Jr.

> Compare this to the 1 week I spent over the holidays bashing my head to
get
> DX to work properly, and I'd say OpenGL wins ands down in the usability
> department, especially when using GLUT.

> However, many "advanced" things (such as pixel shaders, volume textures,
> bump mapping) are not easily accessible (if at all) in OpenGL. For these
> things DX is probably the better route, at least until a new OpenGL spec
> comes out and is supported.

> --
> Michael Brown
> www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more :)
> Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz - My inbox is always open

Re:Direct X or OpenGL

Nick wrote:
> Im a second year CS Student looking to do a 3rd year project in
> 3D Graphics rendering.

> I intend to use Delphi as a platform - but am having trouble choosing
> betwen using DirectX and OpenGL.

> Does anyone here have any advice / experience to help guide me in my
> choice?

Which tool will your professor or mentor be able to help you with?

The general understanding of 3D graphics you gain from learning that
tool under someone else's guidance will still be of help to you if you
later decide to learn the other tool on your own.

--
Rob

Re:Direct X or OpenGL

Pavlo A. Batsii <[skip]ragnar0ck[skip]@ukr.net> wrote in message ...

>DirectX is more complex, powerful (and slow?) than OpenGL;
>it lacks portability, however, which means it is "windows only".

The trick of DirectX is that either it is extended to cover
the things that the latest generation of graphics hardware
can do, or the next generation of hardware is extended to
cover what's in the latest version of DirectX.

It's a nice trick if you can pull it.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink

Re:Direct X or OpenGL

Rob Kennedy wrote:
> Nick wrote:
> > Im a second year CS Student looking to do a 3rd year project in
> > 3D Graphics rendering.

> > I intend to use Delphi as a platform - but am having trouble choosing
> > betwen using DirectX and OpenGL.

> > Does anyone here have any advice / experience to help guide me in my
> > choice?

> Which tool will your professor or mentor be able to help you with?

None!

They are just able to help me with the maths if I get stuck.

> The general understanding of 3D graphics you gain from learning that
> tool under someone else's guidance will still be of help to you if you
> later decide to learn the other tool on your own.

> --
> Rob

Yeah, I agree.

Nick.

Re:Direct X or OpenGL

Michael Brown wrote:
> "Nick" <cs...@warwick.ac.uk> wrote in message
> > Hi there,

> > Im a second year CS Student looking to do a 3rd year project in
> > 3D Graphics rendering.

> > I intend to use Delphi as a platform - but am having trouble choosing
> > betwen using DirectX and OpenGL.

> > Does anyone here have any advice / experience to help guide me in my
> > choice?

> Starting from essentially no knowledge of OpenGL programming (though I have
> done a lot of 3 modelling, so the transformations were quite intuitive for
> me), I picked it up to the point of lighting/texture mapping in about 10
> hours using only the helpfiles, samples and to a small degree a book called
> "Computer Graphics Using OpenGL" by F. S. Hill Jr.

> Compare this to the 1 week I spent over the holidays bashing my head to get
> DX to work properly, and I'd say OpenGL wins ands down in the usability
> department, especially when using GLUT.

> However, many "advanced" things (such as pixel shaders, volume textures,
> bump mapping) are not easily accessible (if at all) in OpenGL. For these
> things DX is probably the better route, at least until a new OpenGL spec
> comes out and is supported.

> --
> Michael Brown
> www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more :)
> Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz - My inbox is always open

Usefull advice!

Iv been speaking to a student just graduated who did a similar project and he
recomended using Open GL too. I think the complexity of the project doesn't
require me to go into as much detail as having to use something like Direct X,
so from what you'v described OpenGL should do fine.

Thanks for the advice and book reference, I'll see if I can get a second hand
copy from Amazon.

Nick.

Other Threads