Sharing a database using WinNT shared files

Currently we have a small Delphi application running on a handfull of
machines, sharing a dBase database.

The sharing is done using the standard file-sharing possibilities in
Windows 4.0, where the folder containing the dBase files is shared on a
server, this folder is then mapped as a network drive on the clients,
and the Delphi client application then connects using the network drive.
The standard Database and Table components from Delphi 3.0 Prof. are
used, with the native dBase driver.

Is it "legal" to share a database in this way, or do I have to use
Deplhi Client/Server!?

The reason I am asking is that the database sometimes reacts strange.
For example the index on the main table seems to be corrupt at times.
I can provide further details, is sharing this way is supposed to work.

Kind regards, Michael...

  Michael Thomsen -
  Student of Computer and Information Science, Uni. of Aarhus, Denmark
  Homepage: http://www.daimi.aau.dk/~miksen/
  Email: mik...@NOSPAM.daimi.aau.dk (Remove NOSPAM.)

Re:Sharing a database using WinNT shared files

>>Is it "legal" to share a database in this way

Yes

>>The reason I am asking is that the database sometimes reacts strange.
>>For example the index on the main table seems to be corrupt at times.

Do you have Local Share set to true in the BDE configuration  System->Init settings?

Do all users have full access rights to the files?

===
Bill

WmBurke(TeamB) wrote:

> Do you have Local Share set to true in the BDE configuration  System->Init settings?

No! Should I?

The documentation goes:

LOCAL SHARE
The ability to share access to local data between an active BDE
application and an active non-BDE application. Set to TRUE if you need
to work with the same files through both a BDE and a non-BDE application
at the same time. (It is not necessary to set LOCAL SHARE to TRUE if you
do not need to have both applications open at the same time.) Default:
FALSE

I am not really accessing using non-BDE applications, am I ??

> Do all users have full access rights to the files?

Yes.

> ===
> Bill

Thanks, Michael...