Unable to open file 'VPORT_B.LIB'

I've recently downloaded Borland's free compiler.  I'm also evaluating
Inprise VisiBroker.  So over the next few weeks I hope to learn enough
about this CORBA implementation to get a good idea of how distributed
objects work.  There's only one hitch, I'm getting linker errors in my
server implementation.  MathServer contains my main.  It initializes and
registers my server so it depends on RNGenerator.  RNGenerator depends
on MathServices_s, which is the compiled form of my IDL.  Prior to
installing Borland's two patches, I was getting "unresolved reference
error".  Installing the patch must have helped because those problems
seem to have gone away.  However, I'm left with the error "Fatal: Unable
to open file 'VPORT_B.LIB'" while trying to link my project.  I've
copied and pasted the resulting output for those interested.  Has anyone
encountered this problem?

Here's the output from my make command.  This shows my compilation as
well.
MAKE Version 5.1  Copyright (c) 1987, 1998 Borland International
 c:\FreeBorland\bcc55\bin\bcc32.exe -c -D_RTLDLL -I.
-Ic:\FreeBorland\bcc55\include -Ic:\Inprise\vbroker\include
-Ic:\Inprise\vbroker\include\stubs -Lc:\FreeBorland\bcc55\lib
-Lc:\Inprise\vbroker\lib MathServices_s.cpp RNGenerator.cpp
MathServer.cpp
Borland C++ 5.5.1 for Win32 Copyright (c) 1993, 2000 Borland
MathServices_s.cpp:
Warning W8004 MathServices_s.cpp 57: '_vistrm' is assigned a value that
is never used in function
POA_MathServices::RNGenerator::_RandGaussian(void
*,CORBA_MarshalInBuffer &,const char *,VISReplyHandler &)
Warning W8057 MathServices_s.cpp 57: Parameter '_oper' is never used in
function POA_MathServices::RNGenerator::_RandGaussian(void
*,CORBA_MarshalInBuffer &,const char *,VISReplyHandler &)
Warning W8004 MathServices_s.cpp 71: '_vistrm' is assigned a value that
is never used in function
POA_MathServices::RNGenerator::_RandUniform(void *,CORBA_MarshalInBuffer
&,const char *,VISReplyHandler &)
Warning W8057 MathServices_s.cpp 71: Parameter '_oper' is never used in
function POA_MathServices::RNGenerator::_RandUniform(void
*,CORBA_MarshalInBuffer &,const char *,VISReplyHandler &)
RNGenerator.cpp:
MathServer.cpp:
 c:\FreeBorland\bcc55\bin\ilink32.exe -I. -Ic:\FreeBorland\bcc55\include
-Ic:\Inprise\vbroker\include -Ic:\Inprise\vbroker\include\stubs
-Lc:\FreeBorland\bcc55\lib -Lc:\Inprise\vbroker\lib RNGenerator.obj
MathServices_s.obj MathServer.obj, MathServer.exe
Turbo Incremental Link 5.00 Copyright (c) 1997, 2000 Borland
Fatal: Unable to open file 'VPORT_B.LIB'

** error 2 ** deleting MathServer.exe

Re:Unable to open file 'VPORT_B.LIB'

Wrong user.  This is Steven Glintz (sgli...@csci-va.com)
Vinh-Hung Le wrote:
> I've recently downloaded Borland's free compiler.  I'm also evaluating
> Inprise VisiBroker.  So over the next few weeks I hope to learn enough
> about this CORBA implementation to get a good idea of how distributed
> objects work.  There's only one hitch, I'm getting linker errors in my
> server implementation.  MathServer contains my main.  It initializes and
> registers my server so it depends on RNGenerator.  RNGenerator depends
> on MathServices_s, which is the compiled form of my IDL.  Prior to
> installing Borland's two patches, I was getting "unresolved reference
> error".  Installing the patch must have helped because those problems
> seem to have gone away.  However, I'm left with the error "Fatal: Unable
> to open file 'VPORT_B.LIB'" while trying to link my project.  I've
> copied and pasted the resulting output for those interested.  Has anyone
> encountered this problem?

> Here's the output from my make command.  This shows my compilation as
> well.
> MAKE Version 5.1  Copyright (c) 1987, 1998 Borland International
>  c:\FreeBorland\bcc55\bin\bcc32.exe -c -D_RTLDLL -I.
> -Ic:\FreeBorland\bcc55\include -Ic:\Inprise\vbroker\include
> -Ic:\Inprise\vbroker\include\stubs -Lc:\FreeBorland\bcc55\lib
> -Lc:\Inprise\vbroker\lib MathServices_s.cpp RNGenerator.cpp
> MathServer.cpp
> Borland C++ 5.5.1 for Win32 Copyright (c) 1993, 2000 Borland
> MathServices_s.cpp:
> Warning W8004 MathServices_s.cpp 57: '_vistrm' is assigned a value that
> is never used in function
> POA_MathServices::RNGenerator::_RandGaussian(void
> *,CORBA_MarshalInBuffer &,const char *,VISReplyHandler &)
> Warning W8057 MathServices_s.cpp 57: Parameter '_oper' is never used in
> function POA_MathServices::RNGenerator::_RandGaussian(void
> *,CORBA_MarshalInBuffer &,const char *,VISReplyHandler &)
> Warning W8004 MathServices_s.cpp 71: '_vistrm' is assigned a value that
> is never used in function
> POA_MathServices::RNGenerator::_RandUniform(void *,CORBA_MarshalInBuffer
> &,const char *,VISReplyHandler &)
> Warning W8057 MathServices_s.cpp 71: Parameter '_oper' is never used in
> function POA_MathServices::RNGenerator::_RandUniform(void
> *,CORBA_MarshalInBuffer &,const char *,VISReplyHandler &)
> RNGenerator.cpp:
> MathServer.cpp:
>  c:\FreeBorland\bcc55\bin\ilink32.exe -I. -Ic:\FreeBorland\bcc55\include
> -Ic:\Inprise\vbroker\include -Ic:\Inprise\vbroker\include\stubs
> -Lc:\FreeBorland\bcc55\lib -Lc:\Inprise\vbroker\lib RNGenerator.obj
> MathServices_s.obj MathServer.obj, MathServer.exe
> Turbo Incremental Link 5.00 Copyright (c) 1997, 2000 Borland
> Fatal: Unable to open file 'VPORT_B.LIB'

> ** error 2 ** deleting MathServer.exe

Re:Unable to open file 'VPORT_B.LIB'

Wrong newsgroup.  This is borland.public.cpp.borlandcpp because Borland C++
is covered in this group.  It is a different compiler than the C++ Builder
one you are using.  C++ Builder newsgroups all have the word 'cppbuilder' in
their name.

The library name as given to the linker by a comment record specifying
default libraries in one of the object or source files.  That default
library would be something that you received with visibroker.  It is not
something that comes with the C++ Builder command line tools that you
downloaded.

You would probably do best asking in the VisiBroker group about the missing
library
  borland.public.bes.visibroker
For questions specific to C++ Builder the following newsgroup might be best
  borland.public.cppbuilder.commandlinetools

There are some issues with the command lines you show.

The paths to the directory containing the system include files are given in
the bcc32.cfg file that the readme had you create.  The paths to the system
library files are given in the bcc32.cfg and ilink32.cfg files that the
readme also had you create.  They should not have to be on the command line.

That you had to put the path to the compiler and to the linker in the
command lines which calls them implies that the path to the compiler's BIN
directory where the compiler and linker are found has not been set as
detailed in the readme file.

Your ilink32 command line has no options on it.  It at least needs one of
the /ap or /aa options and the /Tpe option.

line tools and if you have not yet done so, do what it says.

Start the help, select the Index tab, type BCC32 into the edit control and
click the Display button to get to the help on the compiler.  Repeat with
ILINK32 in the edit control to get to help for the linker.

Get the help file updates here:
  http://www.borland.com/techpubs/bcppbuilder/v5/updates/pro.html
Download Turbo De{*word*81} from here:
  http://www.borland.com/bcppbuilder/turbode{*word*81}/
And read this page on using the command line tools:

.  Ed

[...]

Other Threads