Return Record in Auto Event

I am successful in creating a Record with the type lib editor and
passing it as part of a normal automation method.

I am trying to pass the data as part of an event and the type lib
editor creates the below code in a test project.

  ITomTestAutoEvents = dispinterface
    ['{2C019F3D-2871-474A-B307-7A09D19C9A85}']
    procedure GetStatus(out Value: {??TestRec} OleVariant); dispid 1;
  end;

The IDL seems to be correct :

    HRESULT GetStatus([out] TestRec * Value );

The TestRec is the record I created, but here it is commented out and
replaced with an OleVariant.

Am I doing something wrong or do I have to put the record into the
OleVariant myself.

TIA

Tom