PAscal Compression

Does anyone know of a compression library for BP7?  I have searched the
globe and beyond for such a beast but come up empty handed:(

TIA

Chris

Re:PAscal Compression

In article <878114661.451...@pasteur.dialix.com.au>, j...@pasteur.dialix.com.au
says...

>Does anyone know of a compression library for BP7?

http://www.cs.vu.nl/~jprins/tp.html
BandiT

Re:PAscal Compression

On 29 Oct 1997 10:30:51 GMT, apa...@mol.hu (BandiT) wrote:

> In article <878114661.451...@pasteur.dialix.com.au>, j...@pasteur.dialix.com.au
> says...
> >Does anyone know of a compression library for BP7?

> http://www.cs.vu.nl/~jprins/tp.html

Do you have a more specific URL? I couldn't find any compression tools
there - and the list of links was too long to check all of them. I
tried the search function, but with no result.

Venlig hilsen / Best regards / Viele grsse
        Henning

  _H_P_C_o_n_s_u_l_t_     E-mail:  mailto:henning.peter...@hpc.dk
  Skoletoften 9, Blans    Work:    http://www.hpc.dk
  DK - 6400 Soenderborg   Private: http://home1.inet.tele.dk/oz1lln

Re:PAscal Compression

On 29 Oct 1997 08:44:23 GMT, Chris <j...@pasteur.dialix.com.au> wrote:

>Does anyone know of a compression library for BP7?  I have searched the
>globe and beyond for such a beast but come up empty handed:(

Did you also searched the SWAG (http://www.gdsoft.com/swag/swag.html)?
They have some samples in archives.swg.
Regards - Ulli -
Ulli Conrad
Goettingen
uconr...@gwdg.de

Re:PAscal Compression

Chris (j...@pasteur.dialix.com.au) wrote:

: Does anyone know of a compression library for BP7?  I have searched the
: globe and beyond for such a beast but come up empty handed:(
:

Check my homepage for the ChiefLZ compression package. It uses LZ77
compression (no patent problems) - and it contains full source code.

Best regards, The Chief
--------
Email: la...@keele.ac.uk
Author of: Chief's Installer Pro 4.01 for Win16 and Win32:
  Winner of PC PLUS Magazine Gold Award (April 1995 U.K. edition)
  http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/African_Chief/
  http://www.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/win3/install/chief401.zip

Re:PAscal Compression

In article <34581aed.9025...@news.inet.tele.dk>, henning.petersen.9...@hpc.dk
says...

>> >Does anyone know of a compression library for BP7?
>> http://www.cs.vu.nl/~jprins/tp.html
>Do you have a more specific URL? I couldn't find any compression tools
>there

Have you ever heard about "Find" option in your browser? The link is in the
"Source code" group: Huffman compression... :-)

The link is: http://www.webworldinc.com/joejared

-BandiT-

Re:PAscal Compression

In article <637fqh$5p...@cfs2.kis.keele.ac.uk>, la...@cc.keele.ac.uk says...

>Check my homepage for the ChiefLZ compression package. It uses LZ77
>compression (no patent problems) - and it contains full source code.

I tried the ChiefLZ package, but I think its compression ratio isn't so
good... :-(

This also applies to Joe Jared's compressor...

-BandiT-

Re:PAscal Compression

BandiT (apa...@mol.hu) wrote:

: In article <637fqh$5p...@cfs2.kis.keele.ac.uk>, la...@cc.keele.ac.uk says...
:
: >Check my homepage for the ChiefLZ compression package. It uses LZ77
: >compression (no patent problems) - and it contains full source code.
:
: I tried the ChiefLZ package, but I think its compression ratio isn't so
: good... :-(

Not nearly as good as ZIP - but good enough, and as good as MS's
compress.exe (LZExpand, etc). And - it is free.

BandiT (apa...@mol.hu) wrote:

: In article <637rdv$j1...@cfs2.kis.keele.ac.uk>, la...@cc.keele.ac.uk says...
: >: I tried the ChiefLZ package, but I think its compression ratio isn't so
: >: good... :-(
:
: >Not nearly as good as ZIP - but good enough, and as good as MS's
: >compress.exe (LZExpand, etc). And - it is free.
: >Best regards, The Chief
:
: That's true. I tried both compressors & I found the ChiefLZ supports archive
: files! It's a very good idea!

Thanks :-).  Archive support was the main reason for producing the package.

: It's hard to code a really powerful engine (like ZIP/ARJ/RAR/AIN/ESP) :-(

Yes, it is. Zip for example consists of a variety of compression algorithms,
some indifferent, and some good.

BTW: InfoZip have C sources for zipping files. AFAIK no one has translated
them into Pascal (Christian Ghisler translated the unzip sources into
Pascal). If someone can take this up, then we will have free Pascal code for
zipping files as well.

Best regards, The Chief
--------
Email: la...@keele.ac.uk
Author of: Chief's Installer Pro 4.01 for Win16 and Win32:
  Winner of PC PLUS Magazine Gold Award (April 1995 U.K. edition)
  http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/African_Chief/
  http://www.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/win3/install/chief401.zip

Re:PAscal Compression

In article <637rdv$j1...@cfs2.kis.keele.ac.uk>, la...@cc.keele.ac.uk says...

>: I tried the ChiefLZ package, but I think its compression ratio isn't so
>: good... :-(
>Not nearly as good as ZIP - but good enough, and as good as MS's
>compress.exe (LZExpand, etc). And - it is free.
>Best regards, The Chief

That's true. I tried both compressors & I found the ChiefLZ supports archive
files! It's a very good idea! I found a CRC generator and combined them...

It's hard to code a really powerful engine (like ZIP/ARJ/RAR/AIN/ESP) :-(

Regards
BandiT

Re:PAscal Compression

Thanx, I'll check it out. I really wanted arj but th eauthor told mehe has
no libraries available :(