gpc/Solaris 2.5 - problems compiling pascal files

I've built and installed gpc 2.0 under Solaris 2.5, but when I try
compiling pascal files, I get the following message:

------
ld: fatal: file test.pas: unknown type, unable to process using elf(3E)
libraries
ld: fatal: File processing errors.  No output written to a.out
------

The FAQ seems to indicate that "collect2" is the problem, but collect2
wasn't built or installed as part of the gcc build.  I found the
collect2.c source (in the gcc source tree), built it and installed it in
the same directory as gpc1 - (the FAQ seems to indicate that this is the
proper thing to do) - first as "collect2" (which made no difference) and
then as "ld", which causes the following message instead:

-------
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
ld: fatal: file test.pas: unknown type, unable to process using elf(3E)
libraries
ld: fatal: File processing errors.  No output written to a.out
-------

test.pas is a simple "Hello world" program.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what is wrong, and what I need to
do to get things working?

--
Tony Gray                             AARNET: A.D.G...@utas.edu.au
Technical Services Manager            Phone : (03) 6324 3366