Switching between Paradox and Interbase

What's the easiest way to set it up so that there's an easy switch back
and forth between local Paradox tables and client/server, such as
Interbase, so that one program can run both, with a simple change in the
TDatabase's DatabaseName property, or fooling with aliases?

Re:Switching between Paradox and Interbase

Craig Wilson wrote:

> What's the easiest way to set it up so that there's an easy switch back
> and forth between local Paradox tables and client/server, such as
> Interbase, so that one program can run both, with a simple change in the
> TDatabase's DatabaseName property, or fooling with aliases?

Check out the Mast application included with the DB demos.

Scott

Craig Wilson wrote:
> What's the easiest way to set it up so that there's an easy switch back
> and forth between local Paradox tables and client/server, such as
> Interbase, so that one program can run both, with a simple change in the
> TDatabase's DatabaseName property, or fooling with aliases?

  Hi Craig,

I have done this in my apps by using SQL... TQuery. The only restriction is
that the names of the tables and the columns themselves must be the same in
both (or all environments). Also, in the SQL statement you use the name of
the tables without any the extension. The BDE will know that there's an
extension it needs to use when working with Paradox, dBase or whatever else.

Besides, using TQuery is the best way to isolate your application the most
from the data allowing you to manage the number of tiers independently.

Good luck!

-- Christian
Christian A. Guers                   Guer...@EntelChile.Net
Home Phone: +56(2) 228-7278   Office Phone: +56(2) 366-2700

Other Threads