Delphi / Oracle "duplicate Records"

Hello,

i have a little Problem with Oracle in a Delphi-Application. In his
Environment, a Customer claims
to see duplicate Rows in a Delphi-DB-Grid. The Customer has an Oracle
8.1.6-Server running on
AIX. The Client is also 8.1.6.
In my Test-Environment (Oracle 8.1.6-Server on Linux or Oracle 8.1.5 on
WinNT4), i can not reprodruce
this effect. I've tested the Oracle Client 8.1.7 and 8.1.5 (with both
servers, everything's just fine). I do not
have the 8.1.6-Client available here.
The Delphi-Application is written in Delphi 5, using BDE 5.1 (or 5.2, tried
that too) and SQL-Links. There
are some hints from Borland (i.e. ROWSETSIZE=0), but the customer say's
these won't help.
Has anybody got any idea what's going on or how to avoid this effect?
Thank's for every hint.

Greetings from Germany,
Thorsten

E-Mail: lor...@k2it.de

Re:Delphi / Oracle "duplicate Records"

First, I don't know how to solve the problem, but 2 days ago same thing
happened to our customer with Oracle 8.1.5
The thing is that we have a unique key and it didn't stop Oracle to
duplicate exactly the same record.

Another strange thing is happening: records are missing!
There is no obvious reason. And that is happening with only one table.
Sometimes it happens 7-10 times a day (daily about 100-150 new records) and
sometimes 3-4 days pass without a single loss.

Anyone have a clue?

"K2IT GmbH" <lor...@k2it.de> wrote in message

> Hello,

> i have a little Problem with Oracle in a Delphi-Application. In his
> Environment, a Customer claims
> to see duplicate Rows in a Delphi-DB-Grid. The Customer has an Oracle
> 8.1.6-Server running on
> AIX. The Client is also 8.1.6.
> In my Test-Environment (Oracle 8.1.6-Server on Linux or Oracle 8.1.5 on
> WinNT4), i can not reprodruce
> this effect. I've tested the Oracle Client 8.1.7 and 8.1.5 (with both
> servers, everything's just fine). I do not
> have the 8.1.6-Client available here.
> The Delphi-Application is written in Delphi 5, using BDE 5.1 (or 5.2,
tried
> that too) and SQL-Links. There
> are some hints from Borland (i.e. ROWSETSIZE=0), but the customer say's
> these won't help.
> Has anybody got any idea what's going on or how to avoid this effect?
> Thank's for every hint.

> Greetings from Germany,
> Thorsten

> E-Mail: lor...@k2it.de

Re:Delphi / Oracle "duplicate Records"

Hi,
strange ... i may add, that there are no real duplicate records, the
records are only visible
twice according to our customer and only on occasion.
We have no true duplicate records (and yes, we do have a unique key ;-)
We also have no missing records and the whole effect only appears in the
DB-Grid-Component
(the only component where more than one record is visible at a time,
though).
Sounds like you have a slightly different problem here...
Have you experimented with different Oracle-Servers and Clients?

Still searching for hints ...

Re:Delphi / Oracle "duplicate Records"

> strange ... i may add, that there are no real duplicate records, the
> records are only visible
> twice according to our customer and only on occasion.

What is the datasource for DBGrid? If it is Query or DataSet then MAYBE you
have a query that is giving duplicate records because conditions are not
good, tables are not joined in a proper way or not joined at all. Look at
the join expressions.

> Have you experimented with different Oracle-Servers and Clients?

Well, we have server and clients Oracle 8, but our customer has server
Oracle 9i and clients are Oracle 8. We cannot reproduce the same effect. We
actually cannot do what they are doing because we are not hotel and they
are, and entering so many data would take us a lot of time, and we cannot
afford it.

Re:Delphi / Oracle "duplicate Records"

chulix@work <rmil...@yahoo.com> schrieb im Beitrag
<aeernn$a88...@as201.hinet.hr>...

> What is the datasource for DBGrid? If it is Query or DataSet then MAYBE
you
> have a query that is giving duplicate records because conditions are not
> good, tables are not joined in a proper way or not joined at all. Look at
> the join expressions.

Nope, it's just a TTable and it only happens in a certain environment (we
can not reproduce
the effect).

> > Have you experimented with different Oracle-Servers and Clients?
> Well, we have server and clients Oracle 8, but our customer has server
> Oracle 9i and clients are Oracle 8. We cannot reproduce the same effect.
We
> actually cannot do what they are doing because we are not hotel and they
> are, and entering so many data would take us a lot of time, and we cannot
> afford it.

We only have Oracle 8 (8i), both at customer site and local. The amount of
data
is not big and seems to be irrelevant for this effect. As i said earlier,
the effect of
duplicate records (shown) only happens in one certain environment (AIX vs.
PC with
Oracle 8.1.6) at our customers site. We still have no hint what is really
happening there.

Re:Delphi / Oracle "duplicate Records"

Have you checked the client's server top make sure that a primary key
is defined. A unique key may not be enough for Delphi. Delphi may also
be sensitive to the name of the key.

You could also try using a TQuery or TClientDataSet to avoid the
problem.

Marc

Other Threads