Long File Names with BDE Alias and NT 4.0

I experienced a rather interesting problem when I installed one of my
programs on NT 4.0.  The alias pointed toward a directory that contained
long filenames, at least I think this was the problem, and when I started
the program, it told me that it could not find the database.  Moving the
data to a 8.3 directory, and changing the alias resolved the problem.
Anyone have any idea why this happened, or better yet, a way for it to work
correctly?

Leslie

Re:Long File Names with BDE Alias and NT 4.0

"Leslie R. Thomas" <thom...@csra.net> wrote:

>I experienced a rather interesting problem when I installed one of my
>programs on NT 4.0.  The alias pointed toward a directory that contained
>long filenames, at least I think this was the problem, and when I started
>the program, it told me that it could not find the database.  Moving the
>data to a 8.3 directory, and changing the alias resolved the problem.
>Anyone have any idea why this happened, or better yet, a way for it to work
>correctly?

>Leslie

One question: Did your long filename have spaces in it?  I have had problems
with spaces, but (as I recall) removing the spaces corrected the problem.

Other Threads