Updating Paradox 5 tables to Paradox 7

I currently use Delphi 5 and Paradox 7 but a number of the databases were
created under Paradox 5.  I can't seem to find a way of converting the
databases to Paradox 7.  I have tried opening them within the database
desktop but even if I save them with a different name it doesn't update them
the Paradox 7 it just leaves them as version 5.

Is there a utility/tool I can download that will allow me to save these
databases as version 7?

Sean
sean.kilving...@{*word*269}.net

Re:Updating Paradox 5 tables to Paradox 7

On Tue, 4 Jan 2000 18:20:16 -0000, "Sean Kilvington"

<sean.kilving...@{*word*269}.net> wrote:
>I currently use Delphi 5 and Paradox 7 but a number of the databases were
>created under Paradox 5.  I can't seem to find a way of converting the
>databases to Paradox 7.

<snip>

Sean,
You don't need to convert them. Paradox automatically creates tables
that are just high enough to handle the types of fields and indexes
you are using. Don't worry about the table level, the BDE will handle
them all transparently, as long as you are not using an old BDE with a
new table with all the latest fields.

HTH,
Dan

--
Dan Brennand
CMDC systems, inc.
visit us at www.cmdcsystems.com
[Remove the SPAM from my e-mail address]

Re:Updating Paradox 5 tables to Paradox 7

What do you think this is, Microsoft Access?!  ;-) ;-)

In the Paradox world, the "version" of a table simply indicates the set
of features actually employed by that table.  It indicates the
-earliest- version of Paradox that will be capable of understanding what
this table contains...  not the version that was used to create it.
Paradox automatically considers the actual set of features you used for
each table, and sets the value to the lowest number that will
accommodate all those features.  If you restructure the table at some
later time to use some feature that is only available in a later
version, the version-number will be increased accordingly.  Likewise, if
you remove all uses of the advanced feature, the version-number will be
lowered!

This gives the table automatic, maximum, backward compatibility.  And
this is true throughout the Paradox for Windows system.

We've all become used to the Microsoft world, where everyone is expected
to upgrade endlessly and where features seem to be used to -prevent- you
from ever going back again... but the Paradox system, much to the
implementors' credit (it ISN'T EASY to do this!) has always been
designed for maximum forward AND backward compatibility.

>Sean Kilvington wrote:

> I currently use Delphi 5 and Paradox 7 but a number of the databases were
> created under Paradox 5.  I can't seem to find a way of converting the
> databases to Paradox 7.  I have tried opening them within the database
> desktop but even if I save them with a different name it doesn't update them
> the Paradox 7 it just leaves them as version 5.

> Is there a utility/tool I can download that will allow me to save these
> databases as version 7?

> Why =shouldn't= it be quick and easy to keep your database online?
> http://www.sundialservices.com/cs3web.htm

Other Threads