Slow RAS with Interbase and Delphi

Hello

We are testing Interbase 5.5 and Delphi 4.02 across RAS 28.8K modem. We
login no problem. However by using dial-up and SQL monitors we see a lot
of bytes coming from the server but not reported in the SQL Monitor
after isc_dsq_prepare and isc_dsql_free statements.  The speed is slow
until Interbase actually gets around to sending the data itself. Thus
two select * to the server and the first 10 lines take as long as the
next 600 lines that contain the data we asked for. What is Interbase
doing?  Also the connection is read only.  We don't see this delay
connected on a 100 megabit line so I doubt the delay is caused by
planning, parsing or retrieving.

What are we missing?  I was kinda hoping that by using Tqueries we could
avoid all kinds of overhead.

Thanks,

Jim Cubbage
j...@SpamnotXworkingsystems.com

Re:Slow RAS with Interbase and Delphi

More on above:

My question is simply, what is going on that it takes 6-8K compressed bytes
being sent back to a client to after a request to simply close a cursor?
(TQuery or FreeInterbaseObjects DataSet).

Thanks
Jim

Jim Cubbage <j...@workingsystems.com> wrote:
>What are we missing?  I was kinda hoping that by using Tqueries we could
>avoid all kinds of overhead.

Not sure, but if the database layout is not in development you could set
ENABLE SCHEMA CACHE = TRUE and adjust the other SCHEMA CACHE values to
suit.

Regards,
Chris Roberts

Jim Cubbage wrote in message <37A21B16.C7C30...@workingsystems.com>...
>Hello

>  The speed is slow
>until Interbase actually gets around to sending the data itself. Thus
>two select * to the server and the first 10 lines take as long as the
>next 600 lines that contain the data we asked for. What is Interbase
>doing?  Also the connection is read only.  We don't see this delay
>connected on a 100 megabit line so I doubt the delay is caused by
>planning, parsing or retrieving.

>What are we missing?  I was kinda hoping that by using Tqueries we could
>avoid all kinds of overhead.

I have not used Interbase objects. But, I had similar problem. I was using
the TTable (BDE) components. You said you are monitoring the SQL. Did you
see the Time it takes to logon to the database and open the connection. I
think this time is much more than the Table open time. The client has to
send the database  server some parameters like "Quoted Identifiers" etc.
Is it that your Table Open is also high? You can reduce this time by using
the Schema cache, it reduce my table open time from 7 seconds to 1 second.
Also, using TQuerys instead of TTables is a good idea. Other parameters that
can affect are the SQL PASSTHROUGH MODE.

-- Reddy.

Other Threads