Board index » delphi » Strange problem w/ query performance

Strange problem w/ query performance

Hi All,

Just curious if anyone has run across this before.  I have a client running
Win 98 and using IB6.  The same database runs fine on several other
(similar) systems we've tried.

The system was created in D5, using IP2000 database comps.

It seems that all non-live data returns very quickly, but as soon as we
return live data, the system crawls to a halt...taking up to 60 secs to
return one record.  And yes, we are sure we are getting only one record
returned as we've spent alot of time optimizing our code, so we are using a
parameterized query which is returning only one record.  (And, we've tested
the same query in IBConsole to be sure that it is only getting one record.)

Strange thing is as I stated above...if we take the same database and the
same .exe and move them to our systems for testing, the query comes back in
a second.

The systems have the same OS, same version of IB, same amount of memory,
etc, etc, etc.

Any ideas would be very helpful...Thanks in advance!!!

Stacey

 

Re:Strange problem w/ query performance


Quote
"Stacey R. Brodsky" wrote:

> Just curious if anyone has run across this before.  

        No, but:

Quote
> (And, we've tested
> the same query in IBConsole to be sure that it is only getting one record.)

        "Live" queries actually issue many different queries -- look at SQL
Monitor while your app is running and you'll see.  It could be one of
these queries, rather than the SQL in your dataset, which is causing the
problem.  Copy the queries and try running them individually.

        I've never seen anything like what you describe, but maybe the above
will help you track it down.

        -Craig

--
Craig Stuntz (TeamB)       Senior Developer, Vertex Systems Corp.
Delphi/InterBase weblog:   http://delphi.weblogs.com
Use Borland servers; posts via others are not seen by TeamB.
For more info, see http://www.borland.com/newsgroups/genl_faqs.html

Re:Strange problem w/ query performance


That's the strange thing...if we replicate the entire system on one of our
machines and, run the same query, it comes back immediately.  It seems to be
specific to their system.  Currently, we going to try moving the IB server
to another machine on their system and see what happens.

This system has been out for a year or so and we've had no problems w/ speed
until now.  The query is the same as any others and, again, it works on our
system.

Oh well, we'll see what happens.  Thanks for the input though.

Other Threads