Printing in Windows NT 4 - help please

Hi all

The situasion - we have a classroom full of NT4 workstations with one NT4
server - that act as a print and file server.  We are programming in Turbo
Pascal 7 and it run in a NTVDM.  We need to print our programs through the
IDE.  We also need to send our output to a printer eg using writeln(lst, 'Hi
all');

How can this be done???

(I'm new to this newsgroup - If my Q has been answered already - where can I
find the archives or answer?)

Thanx for your time.

Nicolai

Re:Printing in Windows NT 4 - help please

"Nicolai van der Merwe" <nicolai.van.der.me...@epiuse.com> wrote:

>Hi all

>The situasion - we have a classroom full of NT4 workstations with one NT4
>server - that act as a print and file server.  We are programming in Turbo
>Pascal 7 and it run in a NTVDM.  We need to print our programs through the
>IDE.  We also need to send our output to a printer eg using writeln(lst, 'Hi
>all');

You will need to map LPT1 to the print server on the NT server.  You
would do something like (from the virtual DOS session):

net use lpt1: \\NTSERVER\PRINTER /persistent:YES

After this, the lst device (LPT1) will be mapped to the
server/printer.

Hope this helps,

Mike McWhinney
Chief Engineer
elja, Inc.

Re:Printing in Windows NT 4 - help please

Thanx Mike!!  It solved the biggest problem - how to print from a program
using the writeln(lst,'KKKKK'); problem.

One more Q - Is it possible to redirect the printing of the source code also
to LPT1?  It is no train smash - you can print your code using Notepad for
example - but it will be nice to be able to use the IDE to go FILE Menu->
Print.

At this stage it just gives me an error while trying to print.

Thanx again for the help!  You just reinstated my faith in Newsgroups!!

Nicolai

>You will need to map LPT1 to the print server on the NT server.  You
>would do something like (from the Virtual DOS session):

>net use lpt1: \\NTSERVER\PRINTER /persistent:YES

>After this, the lst device (LPT1) will be mapped to the
>server/printer.

>Hope this helps,

>Mike McWhinney
>Chief Engineer
>elja, Inc.

Re:Printing in Windows NT 4 - help please

"Nicolai van der Merwe" <nicolai.van.der.me...@epiuse.com> wrote:

>One more Q - Is it possible to redirect the printing of the source code also
>to LPT1?  It is no train smash - you can print your code using Notepad for
>example - but it will be nice to be able to use the IDE to go FILE Menu->
>Print.

>At this stage it just gives me an error while trying to print.

You should be able to print your code from the IDE.  Look at page 51
in the manual.  I don't know if it is the same for TP7. I use BP7
which is a bit different.   According to the manual, under FILE |
PRINTER SETUP from the IDE, you should have the PRNFLTR.EXE in
your current path or current directory.   You need to have the
parameter set up properly for the type of printer you have.

I have actually disabled this feature personally, because I kept
hitting the keys to print accidentally.

Cheers,

Mike McWhinney
Chief Engineer