Can't un-install, can't re-install (Delphi5 trial)

Dear Borland,

I installed the Delphi5 Trial on a Desktop PC at work.
I took the Desktop PC back home because I had to work from home,
and hooked up the machine to my home network (i.e. I had to change
NT 4.0 from using "DOMAIN" to "WORKGROUP" (my home network uses
MS Internet Connection Sharing; my company uses NT Domain Server)).

Once the corporate NT Domain Server was no longer accessible from my home,
I could no longer log in from the user profile under which Delphi5 Trial
was installed.

When I try to start up Delphi5 Trial under the new profile,
I can only see the standard palette; all the other pages in
the palette are gone.

If I try to load an application that once worked, I get
  "Class <class> not found. Ignore the error and continue?
  Note: Ignoring the error may cause components to be deleted
  or property value to be lost."

The Delphi5 Trial won't let me re-install, since it detects
the previous installation (I heard something about re-install
registry-only option, but I can't get to that point).
And I can't un-install the trial product using my current user profile.

How do I get Delphi5 Trial to work again, without having to take the
Desktop PC back to work and re-connect to the corporate NT Domain Server?

None of my other software development tools were affected.

My company is currently in the process of purchasing Delphi.
Will I encounter this problem with the non-trial versions of Delphi as well?

Re:Can't un-install, can't re-install (Delphi5 trial)

In article <3b237659$1_2@dnews>,  wrote:
> I installed the Delphi5 Trial on a Desktop PC at work.
> I took the Desktop PC back home because I had to work from home,
> and hooked up the machine to my home network (i.e. I had to change
> NT 4.0 from using "DOMAIN" to "WORKGROUP" (my home network uses
> MS Internet Connection Sharing; my company uses NT Domain Server)).
> Once the corporate NT Domain Server was no longer accessible from my home,
> I could no longer log in from the user profile under which Delphi5 Trial
> was installed.
> When I try to start up Delphi5 Trial under the new profile,
> I can only see the standard palette; all the other pages in
> the palette are gone.
> How do I get Delphi5 Trial to work again, without having to take the
> Desktop PC back to work and re-connect to the corporate NT Domain Server?

I don't think you can solve this if the trial will not let you do a registry
only install. If you manage to find a way to load the registry hive for
your work user account (i think an admin account can do that via regedit
or regedt32) you can use regedit (not regedt32) to export the complete
Delphi registry tree under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Borland to a REG
file. This you can then load again under your home account. The net effect
is the same as for a registry-only install.

> My company is currently in the process of purchasing Delphi.
> Will I encounter this problem with the non-trial versions of Delphi as well?

No, the full version will allow you to do a registry-only install from another
account on the same machine without problems, i did this several times when
moving to new PCs. Since the install requires admin rights but you'll usually
use a more limited account for development you have to do this second install
on practically every NT system you want to install Delphi on.

<-> wrote in message news:3b237659$1_2@dnews...
> Dear Borland,

> I installed the Delphi5 Trial on a Desktop PC at work.
> I took the Desktop PC back home because I had to work from home,
> and hooked up the machine to my home network (i.e. I had to change
> NT 4.0 from using "DOMAIN" to "WORKGROUP" (my home network uses
> MS Internet Connection Sharing; my company uses NT Domain Server)).

> Once the corporate NT Domain Server was no longer accessible from my home,
> I could no longer log in from the user profile under which Delphi5 Trial
> was installed.

> When I try to start up Delphi5 Trial under the new profile,
> I can only see the standard palette; all the other pages in
> the palette are gone.

> If I try to load an application that once worked, I get
>   "Class <class> not found. Ignore the error and continue?
>   Note: Ignoring the error may cause components to be deleted
>   or property value to be lost."

> The Delphi5 Trial won't let me re-install, since it detects
> the previous installation (I heard something about re-install
> registry-only option, but I can't get to that point).

What's wrong ... This is the easyest way, since unfortunatly Delpi does
use registry entry at user level instead of machine level ... Each (local)
user
have to recreate & register the DLL into the registry

The other solution is to enter your PC as admin and in your office
add your_machine->admin into the NT domain ... Like this your admin
of your machine and at home you log on admin too

> And I can't un-install the trial product using my current user profile.

> How do I get Delphi5 Trial to work again, without having to take the
> Desktop PC back to work and re-connect to the corporate NT Domain Server?

> None of my other software development tools were affected.

> My company is currently in the process of purchasing Delphi.
> Will I encounter this problem with the non-trial versions of Delphi as

well?

Yep !-(

"Peter Below (TeamB)" <100113.1...@compuXXserve.com> wrote in message

> I don't think you can solve this if the trial will not let you do a
registry
> only install. If you manage to find a way to load the registry hive for
> your work user account (i think an admin account can do that via regedit
> or regedt32) you can use regedit (not regedt32) to export the complete
> Delphi registry tree under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Borland to a REG
> file. This you can then load again under your home account. The net effect
> is the same as for a registry-only install.

It worked!
Thanks Peter.

Other Threads