BDE Error $2A04

I have a client who is experiencing BDE Error $2A04 (Operation not
applicable whilst initializing the BDE) on a regular
basis and has spent months attempting to find the cause and solution.  When
this occurs the only way to fix it is to close down all applications using
the BDE . I have found several old references to this problem via searches
at www.altavista.com (search USENET for $2A04 ) which where originally
posted to this forum . Our problem appears to be very similar :-

MultiThreaded Delphi 2.01 Server application running on a dual-processor
Pentium with NT 3.51 and MS SQL-Server 6.0.
We are using ODBC although we have had the problem with SQL Links. We are
not as yet using BDE3.5 (due to other problems).

We have reduced the instances by placing mutexes around all Database
Connect methods and Session Creates but it still happens too often to be
satisfactory.  To date Borland haven't been able to solve this.

If anyone out their has any suggestions as to a possible fix , or at least
to identify where the problem lies I would be very grateful.

Many thanks

Noel Addis

Re:BDE Error $2A04

Noel Addis wrote:

> I have a client who is experiencing BDE Error $2A04 (Operation not
> applicable whilst initializing the BDE) on a regular
> basis and has spent months attempting to find the cause and solution.  When
> this occurs the only way to fix it is to close down all applications using
> the BDE . I have found several old references to this problem via searches
> at www.altavista.com (search USENET for $2A04 ) which where originally
> posted to this forum . Our problem appears to be very similar :-

> MultiThreaded Delphi 2.01 Server application running on a dual-processor
> Pentium with NT 3.51 and MS SQL-Server 6.0.
> We are using ODBC although we have had the problem with SQL Links. We are
> not as yet using BDE3.5 (due to other problems).

> We have reduced the instances by placing mutexes around all Database
> Connect methods and Session Creates but it still happens too often to be
> satisfactory.  To date Borland haven't been able to solve this.

> If anyone out their has any suggestions as to a possible fix , or at least
> to identify where the problem lies I would be very grateful.

> Many thanks

> Noel Addis

We have been experiencing this problem since beta 2 of Delphi 2.0.
Borland refuse to acknowledge the problem. Their only suggestion was to
ship delphi 3.0 beta and bde 4.0 to test. We will test this in the next
fortnight. Removing one processor decreased the incident of this error
but this is unacceptable. We will be taking this up with the Borland CEO
in Australia next week when he visits our Delphi User Group. This
problem has cost us thousands of man hours and we are at the stage that
if the Delphi beta doesn't fix it we will have to rewrite our apps to
bypass using the BDE entirely.

If you have any news I would appreciate if you can pass it on and I will
do likewise. FYI I personally know 4 other sites expriencing this
problem no common hardware, no common backend just one common thing a
rooted BDE.

Cheers

Charles Lombardo
clomba...@reiq.com.au
http://www.qld.realnet.com.au

Re:BDE Error $2A04

On Sat, 22 Mar 1997 10:40:03 +1000, Charles Lombardo

<clomba...@reiq.com.au> wrote:

I recently came across this problem in converting a large Delphi 1 app
to Delphi 2.  I my case, we had two developers working on the same
project - 1 had the problem, one did not.  In this instance, the
problem was available hard disk (swap) space.  Plenty of space = no
problem.

Ted Dennis

Other Threads