Networking newbie - suggestion wanted.

   I am going to develop an application that run on 3 PCs, which are
networked together, and they share the same database. I decide to use
Paradox 5.0 for Windows. But someone said that Paradox was not too
stable (What do you think?). Also, should I use another PC as a server
to hold the database tables? Someone suggests that the main program as
well as the database tables are placed on the server PC and the 3 other
PCs share the main program from the server. Is it the best way? Also how
to avoid 2 or more computer update a database at the same time?
   I am an absolute newbie on this subject. Any suggestion as well as
new information are appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Hons

Re:Networking newbie - suggestion wanted.

Either Paradox or dBase tables will meet your needs.  Read TI2989 at
www.inprise.com/devsupport/bde/ti_list for instructions on configuring the
BDE for a peer-to-peer network.  The BDE manages locking for you.

--
Bill Todd

Re:Networking newbie - suggestion wanted.

>   I am going to develop an application that run on 3 PCs, which are
>networked together, and they share the same database. I decide to use
>Paradox 5.0 for Windows. But someone said that Paradox was not too
>stable (What do you think?).

In the past I have created many applications with Paradox 5 and if they are set
up properly they are stable.

>Also, should I use another PC as a server
>to hold the database tables? Someone suggests that the main program as
>well as the database tables are placed on the server PC and the 3 other
>PCs share the main program from the server. Is it the best way?

Yes having a separater server is one of the keys to stability

>Also how
>to avoid 2 or more computer update a database at the same time?

BDE will handle that as long as you have the network control file directory set
up propertly and have local Share set to true on all machines.

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@DataGuidance.com

Other Threads