Delphi and Apollo/Advantage Database server ques

Hello all,
  I'm coming from a Clipper/Dos background, and we've been using the
Advantage server in that environment with great success.  I have the
Apollo library that the Advantage people sell that allows access to
NTX files and a link to their server.  I installed the Apollo
components and use them on the forms I've designed and designated I
want to use the ttAXNTX table type, but when I look at my Advantage
console on our Novell server, I don't see the connection count
increment when I start the program on the server.  The program runs
fine on my standalone machine and on the server, too, it just looks
like it doesn't want to connect to the Advantage system like the DOS
programs do. The help files with Apollo/SDE weren't very helpful, so
I'm hoping that someone here will be able to steer me in the right
direction.
  I know it installed DLL files into my Windows/System subdirectory,
do I use those, and if so, how?
All help is appreciated,
Myron

Re:Delphi and Apollo/Advantage Database server ques

C. Myron Ware <sun...@usa.net> wrote in article <34bfa0ee.7787019@news>...

> I have the
> Apollo library that the Advantage people sell that allows access to
> NTX files and a link to their server.

One of us is confused.

Advantage is a client/server engine from Extended Systems.

Apollo is a stand-alone desktop dBase engine from Luxent software (formerly
SuccessWare).

I didn't know that Extended sold Apollo or that Apollo had anything to do with
Advantage.

Are you confused or am I?

--
Ernie Deel, EFD Systems
The more you know, the more luck you have

> Hello all,
>   I'm coming from a Clipper/Dos background, and we've been using the
> Advantage server in that environment with great success.    I installed the
Apollo
> components and use them on the forms I've designed and designated I
> want to use the ttAXNTX table type, but when I look at my Advantage
> console on our Novell server, I don't see the connection count
> increment when I start the program on the server.  The program runs
> fine on my standalone machine and on the server, too, it just looks
> like it doesn't want to connect to the Advantage system like the DOS
> programs do. The help files with Apollo/SDE weren't very helpful, so
> I'm hoping that someone here will be able to steer me in the right
> direction.
>   I know it installed DLL files into my Windows/System subdirectory,
> do I use those, and if so, how?
> All help is appreciated,
> Myron

Re:Delphi and Apollo/Advantage Database server ques

Advantage started as life with delphi as an add in for Apollo, to do
client-server with it. I think it was already availible for tools other
than delphi. It has since been developed as to operate seperatly from
Apollo.

Craig van Nieuwkerk <crai...@melbpc.org.au> wrote in article
<01bd232f$6ac0d7a0$b1398...@dialup.ozemail.com.au>...

> Advantage started as life with delphi as an add in for Apollo, to do
> client-server with it. I think it was already availible for tools other
> than delphi. It has since been developed as to operate seperatly from
> Apollo.

Thanks for the info.  I wasn't aware of that part of the history of Advantage.

--
Ernie Deel, EFD Systems
The more you know, the more luck you have

Re:Delphi and Apollo/Advantage Database server ques

They used to work together on their technology, but have since parted ways.
(About 1 year ago)

--
Gordon Hamm
Voice Data Systems Inc.

Ernie Deel wrote in message <01bd22b7$ba2e54c0$6d2a5...@mindspring.http>...
>C. Myron Ware <sun...@usa.net> wrote in article <34bfa0ee.7787019@news>...
>> I have the
>> Apollo library that the Advantage people sell that allows access to
>> NTX files and a link to their server.

>One of us is confused.

>Advantage is a client/server engine from Extended Systems.

>Apollo is a stand-alone desktop dBase engine from Luxent software (formerly
>SuccessWare).

>I didn't know that Extended sold Apollo or that Apollo had anything to do
with
>Advantage.

>Are you confused or am I?

>--
>Ernie Deel, EFD Systems
>The more you know, the more luck you have

>> Hello all,
>>   I'm coming from a Clipper/Dos background, and we've been using the
>> Advantage server in that environment with great success.    I installed
the
>Apollo
>> components and use them on the forms I've designed and designated I
>> want to use the ttAXNTX table type, but when I look at my Advantage
>> console on our Novell server, I don't see the connection count
>> increment when I start the program on the server.  The program runs
>> fine on my standalone machine and on the server, too, it just looks
>> like it doesn't want to connect to the Advantage system like the DOS
>> programs do. The help files with Apollo/SDE weren't very helpful, so
>> I'm hoping that someone here will be able to steer me in the right
>> direction.
>>   I know it installed DLL files into my Windows/System subdirectory,
>> do I use those, and if so, how?
>> All help is appreciated,
>> Myron

Re:Delphi and Apollo/Advantage Database server ques

To all following this thread,
  As an update, I was asked to supply the ser # of the
Advantage/Apollo product I purchased, and I was sent a different set
of components to use in place of Apollo.  Now, I've just got to
install them and use them instead of their Apollo stuff.  Hopefully,
today will be mighty productive,
Myron

Other Threads