Win NT kernel mode drivers written in Pascal ?

Does anybody know about possibility to write kernel mode drivers for Win
NT/2000/XP in Pascal ?

Thank you.

Regards
Denis

--

Denis
Den...@citeweb.net.PasDeSpam

Re:Win NT kernel mode drivers written in Pascal ?

fuhhhhhahahahaha !!!!!
Denis wrote:

> Does anybody know about possibility to write kernel mode drivers for Win
> NT/2000/XP in Pascal ?

> Thank you.

> Regards
> Denis

> --

> Denis
> Den...@citeweb.net.PasDeSpam

Re:Win NT kernel mode drivers written in Pascal ?

>> Does anybody know about possibility to write kernel mode drivers for Win
>> NT/2000/XP in Pascal ?

There are IIRC ways to do it with Delphi, but it is not what it was designed
for, and is not easy.

This should be possible with all win32/winnt compilers then, but that will
be even harder, since you would have to find out all details yourself.

Re:Win NT kernel mode drivers written in Pascal ?

Alright, that was harsh.

GPC would be the right candidate IMHO. THe reason why is that you are going to
need to do some heavy modification on how the low end of the code support works.

Its not a simple project, and you would be breaking new ground.

I would not even try this, and I have written several drivers and consider myself
a heavy Pascal user. I would do it in C because thats where the examples and
support is.

Scott Moore wrote:
> Alright, that was harsh.

> GPC would be the right candidate IMHO. THe reason why is that you are going to
> need to do some heavy modification on how the low end of the code support works.

> Its not a simple project, and you would be breaking new ground.

> I would not even try this, and I have written several drivers and consider myself
> a heavy Pascal user. I would do it in C because thats where the examples and
> support is.

That's a pitty, because C uses concepts which lead easily to failures
which go undetected for some while...but you already knew that...

Greetings

Markus

In article <3D1C9261.B9F76...@moorecad.com>, Scott Moore wrote:
> Alright, that was harsh.

> GPC would be the right candidate IMHO. THe reason why is that you are
> going to need to do some heavy modification on how the low end of the code
> support works.

And why is that easier/better/only possible with GPC?

Re:Win NT kernel mode drivers written in Pascal ?

I'd be great to have someone write what essentially would be a GPC windows driver
kit. But it is decidedly an expert proposition. Of course, that is redundant
with "windows driver programmer", but there are some suprisingly bad ones out
there (windows drivers).

Marco van de Voort wrote:

> In article <3D1C9261.B9F76...@moorecad.com>, Scott Moore wrote:
> > Alright, that was harsh.

> > GPC would be the right candidate IMHO. THe reason why is that you are
> > going to need to do some heavy modification on how the low end of the code
> > support works.

> And why is that easier/better/only possible with GPC?

Because its open source. If this is bait, which I suspect considering the
author it is, I would of course note that FPC applies equally well.

In article <3D27AD02.7C374...@moorecad.com>, Scott Moore wrote:
> I'd be great to have someone write what essentially would be a GPC windows driver
> kit. But it is decidedly an expert proposition. Of course, that is redundant
> with "windows driver programmer", but there are some suprisingly bad ones out
> there (windows drivers).

The rough steps for either compiler would be:

- The first step would be the ability to run with a minimal runtime system,
   that only uses functions available to drivers.
- The second one is to write the actual driver (with the probably mandatory
   registration etc)
- The third would be the final linking to create the valid binary format (NT
  native) I hope LD can do that.

There is some Delphi faq for this, which could give some info about how to
approach the first and second step.

Other Threads