installing a program including BDE with Install Shield

I have composed a database program using Delphi 4 for which I am attempting to create an install version using Install Shield.

The program itself is a single .exe file and two help files. (No .dll's)

I choose to add the full BDE installation in the relevant Install Shield dialogue, but the image that IS selects does work,
producing the following errors on attempted installation.

Configuring the BDE: "Merging the configuration file has failed
                        c:\Program Files\Borland\Common Files\BDE\idapi32.cnf"

Consequently, when I try to run the program I get the error message:
                        "Error attempting to initialise BDE - error $3E06"

Equally I cannot open the BDE configuration program as a result of the failed installation.

What is happening here? What is this 'merge' that has failed?

Since the installation of the BDE files is chosen automatically by IS, and since the installation is being made on a computer that
has had no previous installation of the BDE, how come this isn't working?

Can you suggest any solutions or workaround?

Thanks in advance.

Paul Bibbings

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.