OS/2 Warp compatibility?

Does Delphi run under OS/2 Warp?

Re:OS/2 Warp compatibility?

d...@actcom.co.il wrote:
>Does Delphi run under OS/2 Warp?

Yes - with certain limitations.  I've just been running Delphi under Warp (fullpack)
for about a month.  Here's what I've found (my experience) and heard (others):

- The screen font metrics may be slightly different under Warp's Win-OS2 than
   under than native Windows, depending on your video driver.  This caused
   some very slightly odd behavior, such as the object inspector overlapping the
   main button bar on start-up, and screens looking slightly different when you
   run your finished app on a native Windows box.  No big deal here, though.

- Where Warp gets into trouble with Windows apps seems most often to be
   when there are multiple processes running that are all part of the application.
   If one of the apps windows loses focus, it may never regain focus.  With
   Delphi in particular, I noticed a version of this that was odd: I was running
   Delphi with several windows open (editor, object inspector, etc) and
   "hid" Delphi (equivalent to minimizing under Windows) to temporarily work
   on another application.  When I tried to switch back to Delphi (using OS/2
   ctrl-esc to bring up active app list), it redisplayed Delphi, but with all
   windows grayed out.  If I clicked on one, it flickered briefly and lost focus
   again.  I've noticed similar behavior with other multi-windows or multi-task
   applications, such as Netscape.

- If you run Delphi seamless on the desktop, and don't minimize it (hide it),
  you're ok.  Or, what seems just about bullet-proof is to run the Win-OS2
  program manager (seamless on the desktop works fine) and bring up
  Delphi within that.  This works beautifully.

- What makes this a real standout development environment is that you
   can have any number of windows sessions running, and set them up to
   be independent (and ignorant) of each other.  If one dies or freezes,
   you can shut it down and start up a new one in a few seconds while
   your other processes keep humming along.

Good luck!

- Jonathan R. Strong
  The Strong Group
   j...@strong.com

// Jonathan Strong //
// j...@strong.com  //

Re:OS/2 Warp compatibility?

On Wed, 16 Aug 1995 d...@actcom.co.il wrote:

> Does Delphi run under OS/2 Warp?

Yes Delphi runs under OS/2 Warp, just DON'T apply fix pak #5.
Matt

Re:OS/2 Warp compatibility?

Pietrykowski <linma...@wam.umd.edu> wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Aug 1995 d...@actcom.co.il wrote:

>> Does Delphi run under OS/2 Warp?

>Yes Delphi runs under OS/2 Warp, just DON'T apply fix pak #5.
>Matt

Would you elaborate, please? I am about to make a partition for
OS/2-Warp-Connect-with-everything-on-it. What happens if I apply
fix pack #5? What would be your opinion of not having a DOS/Windows
partition at all?

I'd appreciate a parallel e-mail, to make sure I don't miss your
response, if any. TIA.

Re:OS/2 Warp compatibility?

16 Aug 95 15:00, d...@actcom.co.il wrote:

d> Does Delphi run under OS/2 Warp?

Yes, and quite well - although I've heard that some people experience problems
after applying the fixpack.

Personally I run it in a full-screen WinOS2 session, and don't experience any
problems I can relate to that.

---
Peer Klercke
E-mail : p...@oku.ping.dk
         v...@aarhues.dk
Fidonet: 2:238/45.4

Re:OS/2 Warp compatibility?

In <40ti7e$...@pulm1.accessone.com>, Bengt Richter <b...@accessone.com> writes:

>Pietrykowski <linma...@wam.umd.edu> wrote:

>>On Wed, 16 Aug 1995 d...@actcom.co.il wrote:

>>> Does Delphi run under OS/2 Warp?

>>Yes Delphi runs under OS/2 Warp, just DON'T apply fix pak #5.
>>Matt

>>  etc.

I use OS/2 Warp red-box for Windows) and I have installed fix#5.

Delphi works fine and I've used it to produce several useful (to me)
programs and I think highly of it.

The only problem I've had is when I am debugging my own Delphi code
after a build I sometimes get a protection exception (always because of
my bug).  When this happens, Delphi doesn't want to close the debug session,
I may or may not be able to close the project; closing anything leads to a
message " process is currently running".  Even windows itself doesn't want
to close. Then I Ctrl-Esc to OS/2's Desktop and close Windows.  This is obviously
time-consuming and graceless, but it doesn't stop one from getting the job done.

On some forum I noticed that Borland knows of the problem and blames IBM; the
Borland folks recommend backing out fix#5; IBM (to my knowledge) has said
nothing.

The answer is simple; write buggless code the first time. :-)

Tom Spence, Hyde Park, NY

Re:OS/2 Warp compatibility?

In article <DDF1M6....@tigger.jvnc.net>,
Jonathan R. Strong <j...@strong.com> wrote:

>d...@actcom.co.il wrote:
>>Does Delphi run under OS/2 Warp?

>Yes - with certain limitations.  I've just been running Delphi under Warp (fullpack)
>for about a month.  Here's what I've found (my experience) and heard (others):

>- The screen font metrics may be slightly different under Warp's Win-OS2 than
>   under than native Windows, depending on your video driver.  This caused
>   some very slightly odd behavior, such as the object inspector overlapping the
>   main button bar on start-up, and screens looking slightly different when you
>   run your finished app on a native Windows box.  No big deal here, though.

>- Where Warp gets into trouble with Windows apps seems most often to be
>   when there are multiple processes running that are all part of the application.
>   If one of the apps windows loses focus, it may never regain focus.  With
>   Delphi in particular, I noticed a version of this that was odd: I was running
>   Delphi with several windows open (editor, object inspector, etc) and
>   "hid" Delphi (equivalent to minimizing under Windows) to temporarily work
>   on another application.  When I tried to switch back to Delphi (using OS/2
>   ctrl-esc to bring up active app list), it redisplayed Delphi, but with all
>   windows grayed out.  If I clicked on one, it flickered briefly and lost focus
>   again.  I've noticed similar behavior with other multi-windows or multi-task
>   applications, such as Netscape.

>- If you run Delphi seamless on the desktop, and don't minimize it (hide it),
>  you're ok.  Or, what seems just about bullet-proof is to run the Win-OS2
>  program manager (seamless on the desktop works fine) and bring up
>  Delphi within that.  This works beautifully.

>- What makes this a real standout development environment is that you
>   can have any number of windows sessions running, and set them up to
>   be independent (and ignorant) of each other.  If one dies or freezes,
>   you can shut it down and start up a new one in a few seconds while
>   your other processes keep humming along.

>Good luck!

>- Jonathan R. Strong
>  The Strong Group
>   j...@strong.com

All of this points to your video card not OS/2 or Delphi.  I run Delphi
seamless and have none of these problem.

Marshall Watts
wa...@primenet.com

Re:OS/2 Warp compatibility?

In <DDEK0u....@actcom.co.il>, d...@actcom.co.il writes:
>Does Delphi run under OS/2 Warp?

        This should be a FAQ.  :)  Yes.

Steve

Re:OS/2 Warp compatibility?

wa...@Primenet.Com (Marshall Watts) wrote:
>In article <DDF1M6....@tigger.jvnc.net>,
>Jonathan R. Strong <j...@strong.com> wrote:
>>d...@actcom.co.il wrote:
>>>Does Delphi run under OS/2 Warp?

>>Yes - with certain limitations.  I've just been running Delphi under Warp (fullpack)
>>for about a month.  Here's what I've found (my experience) and heard (others):

>>- The screen font metrics may be slightly different under Warp's Win-OS2 than
>>   under than native Windows, depending on your video driver.  This caused
>>   some very slightly odd behavior, such as the object inspector overlapping the
>>   main button bar on start-up, and screens looking slightly different when you
>>   run your finished app on a native Windows box.  No big deal here, though.

>>- Where Warp gets into trouble with Windows apps seems most often to be
>>   when there are multiple processes running that are all part of the application.
>>   If one of the apps windows loses focus, it may never regain focus.  With
>>   Delphi in particular, I noticed a version of this that was odd: I was running
>>   Delphi with several windows open (editor, object inspector, etc) and
>>   "hid" Delphi (equivalent to minimizing under Windows) to temporarily work
>>   on another application.  When I tried to switch back to Delphi (using OS/2
>>   ctrl-esc to bring up active app list), it redisplayed Delphi, but with all
>>   windows grayed out.  If I clicked on one, it flickered briefly and lost focus
>>   again.  I've noticed similar behavior with other multi-windows or multi-task
>>   applications, such as Netscape.

>>- If you run Delphi seamless on the desktop, and don't minimize it (hide it),
>>  you're ok.  Or, what seems just about bullet-proof is to run the Win-OS2
>>  program manager (seamless on the desktop works fine) and bring up
>>  Delphi within that.  This works beautifully.

>>- What makes this a real standout development environment is that you
>>   can have any number of windows sessions running, and set them up to
>>   be independent (and ignorant) of each other.  If one dies or freezes,
>>   you can shut it down and start up a new one in a few seconds while
>>   your other processes keep humming along.

>>Good luck!

>>- Jonathan R. Strong
>>  The Strong Group
>>   j...@strong.com

>All of this points to your video card not OS/2 or Delphi.  I run Delphi
>seamless and have none of these problem.

>Marshall Watts
>wa...@primenet.com

Hmmmm....  Thanks Marshall!  I suspected as much.  The Viper
has a history of questionable compatibility.  Diamond hasn't
released a new OS/2 driver in months, and still suggest that
people use the driver that ships with Warp.  They say that they
can't write a new one until Weitek writes a new driver kernel
first, and that doesn't seem to be forthcoming.

What video card do you use???

- Jon

// Jonathan Strong //
// j...@strong.com  //

Re:OS/2 Warp compatibility?

On 18 Aug 1995 ga...@ibm.net wrote:

> In <4104ul$1...@news-s02.ny.us.ibm.net>, tmsp...@ibm.net writes:
> >On some forum I noticed that Borland knows of the problem and blames IBM; the
> >Borland folks recommend backing out fix#5; IBM (to my knowledge) has said
> >nothing.

> I have seen one thread a while back stating IBM acknowledged the problem.
> I would think the fix will be in the next public fixpack (supposedly due "soon").

> >The answer is simple; write buggless code the first time. :-)

> Right! <VBG!>

> Gaby

If you follow warp then maybe this will make sense.  Warp (Red) was
released first, then Warp (Blue).  Well the fix pak #5 was to bring the
RED and the BLUE up to the same level.  But the fix pak #5 seemed to
break Delphi.  But if you use Warp Connect there is no problem with it.
So it has to do with the fix pak #5.  #9 is going to be released pretty
soon.  Hopefully it will fix the problems with #5.  We will just have to
wait and see how it all works out.
Matt

Re:OS/2 Warp compatibility?

In article <4104ul$1...@news-s02.ny.us.ibm.net>, tmsp...@ibm.net writes:
> The only problem I've had is when I am debugging my own Delphi code
> after a build I sometimes get a protection exception (always because of
> my bug).  When this happens, Delphi doesn't want to close the debug session,
> I may or may not be able to close the project; closing anything leads to a
> message " process is currently running".  Even windows itself doesn't want
> to close. Then I Ctrl-Esc to OS/2's Desktop and close Windows.  This is obviously
> time-consuming and graceless, but it doesn't stop one from getting the job done.

That seems to be several steps ahead of where one would be with Windows
itself (crash?) given the same program.

> The answer is simple; write buggless code the first time. :-)

Be careful with that technique -- in this day and age some giant company
may have a patent on that approach. (Presumably by convincing the Patent
Office there was no "prior art" of bugless code :-).

Larry Kilgallen

Re:OS/2 Warp compatibility?

In <DDIJJA....@tigger.jvnc.net>, j...@strong.com (Jonathan R. Strong) writes:

>wa...@Primenet.Com (Marshall Watts) wrote:
>>Jonathan R. Strong <j...@strong.com> wrote:
>>>   Delphi in particular, I noticed a version of this that was odd: I was running
>>>   Delphi with several windows open (editor, object inspector, etc) and
>>>   "hid" Delphi (equivalent to minimizing under Windows) to temporarily work
>>>   on another application.  When I tried to switch back to Delphi (using OS/2
>>>   ctrl-esc to bring up active app list), it redisplayed Delphi, but with all
>>>   windows grayed out.  If I clicked on one, it flickered briefly and lost focus

        Running Delphi in "full screen" mode I never had a problem.  Running
Delphi "seamless" with other Windows programs (in other sessions) running,
and Delphi minimized, I saw this occasionally.  I just brought up the Window
List and double-clicked on "Delphi", to make OS/2 cause that Windows session
to repaint itself.

>>>- What makes this a real standout development environment is that you
>>>   can have any number of windows sessions running, and set them up to
>>>   be independent (and ignorant) of each other.  If one dies or freezes,
>>>   you can shut it down and start up a new one in a few seconds while
>>>   your other processes keep humming along.
>>All of this points to your video card not OS/2 or Delphi.  I run Delphi
>>seamless and have none of these problem.
>Hmmmm....  Thanks Marshall!  I suspected as much.  The Viper
>What video card do you use???

        FWIW, I have an ATI mach64 card (they all use the same drivers) and
I've had basically no problems I've thought were the video card's fault.  (btw,
ATI just released new drivers... :)

Steve

Re:OS/2 Warp compatibility?

In <41243g$...@nnrp2.primenet.com>, wa...@Primenet.Com (Marshall Watts) writes:

>In article <DDF1M6....@tigger.jvnc.net>,
>Jonathan R. Strong <j...@strong.com> wrote:
>>d...@actcom.co.il wrote:
>>>Does Delphi run under OS/2 Warp?

>>Yes - with certain limitations.  I've just been running Delphi under Warp (fullpack)
>>for about a month.  Here's what I've found (my experience) and heard (others):
>> some replies deleted

Has anyone gotten the on-line documentation to work?  I have tried three times to install
Adobe whatsit and each time I try to start it, it tells me it can't find ATM fonts, even tho
I have an ATM font folder in my Windows progman.

I don't have WinOS/2, I'm using Win4WorkGroups installed under Warp for Windows.

Re:OS/2 Warp compatibility?

On 22 Aug 1995 phag...@ibm.net wrote:

> In <41243g$...@nnrp2.primenet.com>, wa...@Primenet.Com (Marshall Watts) writes:
> >In article <DDF1M6....@tigger.jvnc.net>,
> >Jonathan R. Strong <j...@strong.com> wrote:

> >>Yes - with certain limitations.  I've just been running Delphi under Warp (fullpack)
> >>for about a month.  Here's what I've found (my experience) and heard (others):

> >> some replies deleted

> Has anyone gotten the on-line documentation to work?  I have tried three times to install
> Adobe whatsit and each time I try to start it, it tells me it can't find ATM fonts, even tho
> I have an ATM font folder in my Windows progman.

> I don't have WinOS/2, I'm using Win4WorkGroups installed under Warp for Windows.

You need to go to the settings for the windows session and turn on ATM fonts.

Matt

Go to page: [1] [2]

Other Threads