Does Delphi run under Warp?

In article <DGz1LE....@yew.pfc.forestry.ca>, br...@branch.pfc.forestry.ca
says...

>Hello,

>I'm considering purchasing Delphi, but I really need to know if it
>will run fine under OS/2 Warp or not.

NOT A PROBLEM (in MY experience, anyway...)(um, 16-bit version)
I run/develop under OS/2 all the time, and have found no problems.

>I'm under the impression that with Delphi I could probably do most
>of my development there and not have to resort to writing dll's the
>way that I have been with VB.

You can use DLLs written in Delphi, or use your C-built DLLs.(C-faster, duh!)

>Oh, and if it makes any difference, I have no great need to develop
>Windows 95 code at the moment.

Good lad!

> It's unlikely that any of our clients will be using that for some
> time to come.
>Also, under Delphi, is it at all difficult to call the DLL's that I've
>already written in C++?  I'd hate to have to re-write all that code.

Same as any other DLL call.

Re:Does Delphi run under Warp?

Frank Burleigh (burle...@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu) wrote:

: Delphi runs under OS/2 Warp quite well--I do that all day. ;-)  Since
: you say OS/2 is your development platform choice, you might also tell
: Borland that you'd have an interest in an OS/2 version (if you would,
: of course).

Yeah, I intend to let that be known. Well, actually I have, in a way.
A while back, someone had set up a web page to collect names for
those interested in an OS/2 version - I think he managed to collect
a number of responses which he was going to send to Borland.

I think it would be really cool to see Borland do something like
Watcom has with thier C/C++ compiler which can be hosted under,
say, OS/2 and target, say Windows or NT (or, the other way round
if you like).

It seems to me that adding OS/2 support would give Delphi a
competitive edge that VB won't ever get (you just know that MS
will *never* develop for OS/2).

In any event, thanks for your reply.  I feel pretty safe picking up
a copy of Delphi and seeing if it will meet my needs (I think it
probably fit in nicely with the modelling that I do).

Cheers,
--Bill

Bill G. Riel                          Canadian Forest Service
br...@pfc.forestry.ca                 Victoria, BC

Re:Does Delphi run under Warp?

BB> Hello,
BB> I'm considering purchasing Delphi, but I really need to know if it
  > will run fine under OS/2 Warp or not.  Currently I use Visual Basic
  > (version 3) for front end work and write dll's in Watcom C++ to
  > handle the number crunching (I'm usually working on models that
  > simulate insect infestations & things like that and I've found that
  > VB by itself is just a bit too slow).

I have been Running Delphi under OS/2 Warp and now Warp Connect. No
problems at all.

.. Win95: Best before Dec. 1, 1995..............
___ Viper v2.1a [beta] [0005]

In <9510262211236...@labsline.com>, pat.sheaf...@labsline.com (Pat Sheaffer) writes:

>I have noticed that it runs well, but what about *small*
>incompatabilities?  What are the optimum OS/2 settings
>for DELPHI?  Is seamless mode best or full screen Win-OS/2?
>(is there even a difference?)  What about multimedia under
>Win-OS/2?  Do you *need* MMPM installed to get it?

I'll address part of your question, about *small* incompatabilities.  I've found the
Delphi program I'm developing to run identical under OS/2 full or seamless mode,
NT, and raw Windows 3.1, with one *small* difference.  When I tried placing
a TMaskEdit over the top of another TMaskEdit, it did not work right under OS/2
full or seamless mode, but worked fine under NT and raw Windows 3.1.  I modified
the program so such overlaying did not take place, and now it runs the same
under all systems.

I have heard some complaints about Delphi in seamless mode.  I think it depends
upon what graphics hardware/drivers you have.  I've had no problems with
a pure IBM XGA-2 system.  I'm using Warp for Windows (without WIN-OS/2.)
I've made no specific OS/2 settings for Delphi.  Sorry I cannot address your
MMPM question.

Tom Coe
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
c...@nevada.edu

Stefan Paetow <x3042...@Elise.ee.techpta.ac.za> wrote:
>Yes,
>Delphi does run under Warp (at least under Warp Connect with the Blue
>Spine).
>A BIG Bravo to Borland. At least their products run without hassles on
>another OS.

In my opinion, if Windows programs are written the way they are supposed
to, they will run without hassles under Win-OS/2.  Borland does deserve
credit for their attitude of not punishing you for using another OS.
However, I am not happy with their attitude when it comes to making an
OS/2 native Delphi.  Yes, they needed to work on the Win95 version to
not lose out to VB, but having an OS/2 version gives them cross-platform
development - something VB will never have.  However, Borland apparently
has decided they are not going to do this, and so they consider their
OS/2 verison of Delphi to be that the Windows version runs "real good"
under Win-OS/2.  (excuse me while I yell at Borland) THIS DOES NOT MAKE
OS/2 PROGRAMS!  Yes it runs under OS/2, but I'm not interested in writing
Windows programs - I want to write OS/2 programs.  As much as I love what
Delphi can do, I'm not going to buy it until it makes OS/2 programs.
It seems that someone else may have a Delphi compatible OS/2 tool out
before then, and they will get my money.

Re:Does Delphi run under Warp?

Stefan Paetow (x3042...@Elise.ee.techpta.ac.za) wrote:

: Yes,

: Delphi does run under Warp (at least under Warp Connect with the Blue
: Spine).

: To use it, just run your install program from Win-OS/2 to install it into
: Win-OS/2.

: A BIG Bravo to Borland. At least their products run without hassles on
: another OS.

Thanks Stefan.

This is one of the main reasons that I'm looking at Delphi (well, more
than looking, I've actually ordered it) because I'm afraid with MS
software I'm going to have the rug pulled out from under me and find
that a new version will not work under OS/2.

Cheer,

pat.sheaf...@labsline.com (Pat Sheaffer) wrote:
>I have noticed that it runs well, but what about *small*
>incompatabilities?  What are the optimum OS/2 settings
>for DELPHI?  Is seamless mode best or full screen Win-OS/2?
>(is there even a difference?)  What about multimedia under
>Win-OS/2?  Do you *need* MMPM installed to get it?

>THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't need to install MMPM, those are add-ons like the Digital Audio
Player for OS/2 specifically, Win-OS/2 gets its multimedia support from
the OS/2 operating system, not from MMPM.

If you want to run Delphi really good, put it into a WIN-OS/2 full
screen. It will work there better. To increase your productivity, set
your clipboard and DDE settings to "Shared" or "On" to share your data
with OS/2 programs...

Regards

Stefan Paetow
ellipse data systems

P.S. My e-mail address is becoming invalid by 20 November 1995. Don't
forget me when I'm in isolation for 2 months...

Re:Does Delphi run under Warp?

I am currently running Delphi under OS/2 Warp without problems.

In <DGz1LE....@yew.pfc.forestry.ca>, br...@branch.pfc.forestry.ca ("Bill G. Riel") writes:

>Hello,

>I'm considering purchasing Delphi, but I really need to know if it
>will run fine under OS/2 Warp or not.  Currently I use Visual Basic
>(version 3) for front end work and write dll's in Watcom C++ to
>handle the number crunching (I'm usually working on models that
>simulate insect infestations & things like that and I've found that
>VB by itself is just a bit too slow).

-------------------------
Jim Boyer
College of Agricultural and Home Economics
Washington State University
e-mail: boy...@wsu.edu

Re:Does Delphi run under Warp?

>I'm considering purchasing Delphi, but I really need to know if it
>will run fine under OS/2 Warp or not.  Currently I use Visual Basic

Delphi runs perfectly well under OS/2 Warp. Personally tried it with both
Warp for Windows ("red spine") and Warp Connect.

Now all we need is a port of Delphi to OS/2, and there will be joy!!

 - Tal Cohen (talco...@netvision.net.il)
   Team OS/2 Israel

In article c...@news.nevada.edu, c...@nevada.edu (Tom Coe) writes:

>In <9510262211236...@labsline.com>, pat.sheaf...@labsline.com (Pat Sheaffer) writes:
>>I have noticed that it runs well, but what about *small*
>>incompatabilities?  What are the optimum OS/2 settings
>>for DELPHI?  Is seamless mode best or full screen Win-OS/2?
>>(is there even a difference?)  What about multimedia under
>>Win-OS/2?  Do you *need* MMPM installed to get it?

>I'll address part of your question, about *small* incompatabilities.  I've found the
>Delphi program I'm developing to run identical under OS/2 full or seamless mode,
>NT, and raw Windows 3.1, with one *small* difference.  When I tried placing
>a TMaskEdit over the top of another TMaskEdit, it did not work right under OS/2
>full or seamless mode, but worked fine under NT and raw Windows 3.1.  I modified
>the program so such overlaying did not take place, and now it runs the same
>under all systems.

>I have heard some complaints about Delphi in seamless mode.  I think it depends
>upon what graphics hardware/drivers you have.  I've had no problems with
>a pure IBM XGA-2 system.  I'm using Warp for Windows (without WIN-OS/2.)
>I've made no specific OS/2 settings for Delphi.  Sorry I cannot address your
>MMPM question.

>Tom Coe
>University of Nevada, Las Vegas
>c...@nevada.edu

I had some problems with Delphi running under OS/2 2.11 while I'm closing
a running Delphi-application. It causes a GPF....

Under OS/2 3.0 Warp I had the same problem, but a differend address.

 MAUS, v902...@si.hhs.nl

In article 3...@news.iadfw.net, ChuckCaliff <digis...@server.iadfw.net> writes:

>Stefan Paetow <x3042...@Elise.ee.techpta.ac.za> wrote:

>>Yes,

>>Delphi does run under Warp (at least under Warp Connect with the Blue
>>Spine).

>>A BIG Bravo to Borland. At least their products run without hassles on
>>another OS.

>In my opinion, if Windows programs are written the way they are supposed
>to, they will run without hassles under Win-OS/2.  Borland does deserve
>credit for their attitude of not punishing you for using another OS.
>However, I am not happy with their attitude when it comes to making an
>OS/2 native Delphi.  Yes, they needed to work on the Win95 version to
>not lose out to VB, but having an OS/2 version gives them cross-platform
>development - something VB will never have.  However, Borland apparently
>has decided they are not going to do this, and so they consider their
>OS/2 verison of Delphi to be that the Windows version runs "real good"
>under Win-OS/2.  (excuse me while I yell at Borland) THIS DOES NOT MAKE
>OS/2 PROGRAMS!  Yes it runs under OS/2, but I'm not interested in writing
>Windows programs - I want to write OS/2 programs.  As much as I love what
>Delphi can do, I'm not going to buy it until it makes OS/2 programs.
>It seems that someone else may have a Delphi compatible OS/2 tool out
>before then, and they will get my money.

 Now there is Visual Pascal for OS/2. It's a Compiler which is better
 than Speed Pascal/2 and full 100% compatible to Borland Pascal 7.0 The
 author, from Kiev, has plans to write it, so It would be compatible
 with Delphi.

 MAUS, v902...@si.hhs.nl

 BTW: You can connect him at: e-mail: ukc...@deer.icyb.kiev.ua
      (in English ofcourse)

Re:Does Delphi run under Warp?

Hello all,

While I'm sure Delphi 1.0 *runs* fine under OS/2, it just
doesn't make sense to develop software in a different
environment then that in which it will run--unless of
course you are just playing around.

Delphi32 will require Windows 95 or NT.  What then?

Re:Does Delphi run under Warp?

Kerry,

In article <47mgvu$...@firehose.mindspring.com>,

Kerry Sanders <ksand...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>thurr...@netzone.com (Paul Thurrott) wrote:

>}While I'm sure Delphi 1.0 *runs* fine under OS/2, it just
>}doesn't make sense to develop software in a different
>}environment then that in which it will run--unless of

Paul, I'm sure you are speaking from experience because no one would make such
a crass and uninformed statement without the experience to back it up.

>I ran OS/2 for three years.  I still think it multitasks better than Windows 95,
>especially for comm apps.  However, because of work, I was stuck at either doing
>simple Windows programming, or moving on to the bigger stuff with VB4 and
>Delphi-32.  They just will not run under Warp, so it is back to Windows 95.

My sympathies. If I am forced to move, I will be *very* disappointed. This machine
has a copy of W95 on, It just never gets booted.

Paul Ingram.
--
Paul Ingram Group Ltd
140A High Street               email: firstname.lastn...@ig.co.uk

In <47k6c5$...@news1.netzone.com>, thurr...@netzone.com (Paul Thurrott) writes:

>While I'm sure Delphi 1.0 *runs* fine under OS/2, it just
>doesn't make sense to develop software in a different
>environment then that in which it will run--unless of
>course you are just playing around.

This is exactly backwards:  it almost never makes sense to develop in the
same environment in which the code will run.  Unless,  of course,  you're
"just playing around".

Or the target happens to be a feature-rich environment like,  say,  a *nix
workstation.

It's at least foolish,  if not downright nuts,  not to do *product test* in
the target envrionment.  But the same is true of trying to do serious
development without additional resources,  like debug-version DLLs,  and
extra ports (video,  serial,  whatever) dedicated to debug communication.

>Delphi32 will require Windows 95 or NT.  What then?

No problem:  the promised new version of Virtual Pascal will be available,
and all the people disappointed with Windoze 95 will be switching to OS/2 so
they don't have to replace all their legacy apps  ;-)

Ran

Re:Does Delphi run under Warp?

In message <816666712.228...@ocean.southern.co.nz> - manf...@ocean.southern.co.
nz (Manfred Marriott) writes:

:>
:>How about Delphi, Warp, and 8MB of memory?  I'd like to use Warp for the
:>increased crash protection, but since Warp and Delphi need lots of memory,
:>how would this go?

I do use Delphi under Warp and it runs fine. But... I have 16MB. And I think
8MB is a little low for Warp, Delphi and (automatically loaded) Windows.

*     Andre Speelmans                           *
*     CoSiSo                                    *
*     Internet: cos...@wirehub.nl               *
*     Fidonet : 2:500/285.50                    *
***** A day without smiling is a wasted day *****

Go to page: [1] [2]

Other Threads