Storing documents in databases

Hi, Can I ask for some ideas on a Delphi 4 app for storing and managing
office-type docs (Word, Excel, or other non-MS apps, etc) in a database.

How best can I achieve something like:
1. pull the document from the database
2. load it into the application for someone to edit, and then
3. update the database with the new version of the document?

I'm OK with the mechanics of retrieving and and storing the data, but I'd
like any ideas or opinions on how to achieve the whole process.

Should I be using OLE? Does OLE work OK with non-MS stuff like Lotus
Smart-Suite or whatever?

Or, if I do something like grab the data, save it to a temporary file and
load it into the right application, how do I tell when the user is finished
editing?

Any thoughts you might have would be greatly appreciated...

Re:Storing documents in databases

In article <76t43s$62...@qldpull.telstra.net>,
  "Russell Ryan" <Russell.R...@BigPond.com> wrote:

> Hi, Can I ask for some ideas on a Delphi 4 app for storing and managing
> office-type docs (Word, Excel, or other non-MS apps, etc) in a database.

> How best can I achieve something like:
> 1. pull the document from the database
> 2. load it into the application for someone to edit, and then
> 3. update the database with the new version of the document?

> I'm OK with the mechanics of retrieving and and storing the data, but I'd
> like any ideas or opinions on how to achieve the whole process.

> Should I be using OLE? Does OLE work OK with non-MS stuff like Lotus
> Smart-Suite or whatever?

> Or, if I do something like grab the data, save it to a temporary file and
> load it into the right application, how do I tell when the user is finished
> editing?

> Any thoughts you might have would be greatly appreciated...

Open the application through WinExecAndWait32() and send the file name as a
paramter.  When it closes you get back control.  Good theory But I am afaraid
I have never tried it.

Re:Storing documents in databases

Thanks Dave, but I suspect that one of the reasons you have never tried it
is that it ain't actually there... :( not where I can see anyway. Where does
WinExecAndWait32 come from?

d...@gill-family.demon.co.uk wrote in message

<76vg6m$66...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>> Hi, Can I ask for some ideas on a Delphi 4 app for storing and managing
>> office-type docs (Word, Excel, or other non-MS apps, etc) in a database.
>Open the application through WinExecAndWait32() and send the file name as a
>paramter.  When it closes you get back control.  Good theory But I am
afaraid
>I have never tried it.

Re:Storing documents in databases

Russell,

Go to http://developers.href.com/search, and use "WinExecAndWait32
and Peter and Below" as your search string; you'll find a full,
ready to run function.

HTH

Ken
--
Ken White

Clipper Functions for Delphi
http://members.aol.com/clipfunc

Russell Ryan wrote:

> Thanks Dave, but I suspect that one of the reasons you have never tried it
> is that it ain't actually there... :( not where I can see anyway. Where does
> WinExecAndWait32 come from?

> d...@gill-family.demon.co.uk wrote in message
> <76vg6m$66...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
> >> Hi, Can I ask for some ideas on a Delphi 4 app for storing and managing
> >> office-type docs (Word, Excel, or other non-MS apps, etc) in a database.

> >Open the application through WinExecAndWait32() and send the file name as a
> >paramter.  When it closes you get back control.  Good theory But I am
> afaraid
> >I have never tried it.

Other Threads