MAXFILEHANDLES setting in BDE

You do not want the BDE to hog all of the file handles and leave none for
other applications. This is a much bigger concern under 16 bit Windows than
under 32 bit Windows. If the BDE needs to open more files than the
MaxFileHandles setting it will create virtual file handles and share the
real file handles among several files. This is a bit slower than having all
of the file handles it needs. I have never heard of this causing GPF's.

--
Bill Todd

Re:MAXFILEHANDLES setting in BDE

I heard about what you say but I experience something else :
I get a BDE error opening too much tables (+-60) so I was obliged to
increment the MAXFILESHANDLES.
Do you know why ?

Alex

Bill Todd (TeamB) a crit dans le message
<7423c6$oo...@forums.borland.com>...

>You do not want the BDE to hog all of the file handles and leave none for
>other applications. This is a much bigger concern under 16 bit Windows than
>under 32 bit Windows. If the BDE needs to open more files than the
>MaxFileHandles setting it will create virtual file handles and share the
>real file handles among several files. This is a bit slower than having all
>of the file handles it needs. I have never heard of this causing GPF's.

>--
>Bill Todd
>(Sorry but TeamB cannot answer questions received via email)
>(Remove nospam from my email address to contact me for any other reason)

Re:MAXFILEHANDLES setting in BDE

There apparently is a limit to how many file handles the BDE can virtualize.
If you open too many tables you will get this message and, as you have
discovered, the only solution is to increase the max file handles setting or
reduce the number of tables open at the same time.

--
Bill Todd