Stored proc fails second time around

I'm using an IBstoredproc to get the next ID on inserts. This works
once, then fails the second time around with (usually) AV's or simply
not responding. The OnNewRecord event is fired, but the stored proc
hangs on ExecProc(). I am using prepare and unprepare but is doesn't
seem to make a difference.

I've tried having the proc with its own transaction or sharing one,
doesn't seem to make a difference.

The proc is a simple generator - and it works in my BDE version with no
problems

This is in builder not delphi BTW - no traffic on the builder group!

all the transactions are commitretaining and everything else seems to be
correct, any ideas anyone?

TIA

David
--