Delphi 2.01 & Windows NT Workstation

I am having a problem seeing the VCL components after I installed
Delphi...the VCL toolbar has the icons, but their all jumbled together and I
can't tell what they are...the application seems to be running fine..its
just those icons.  My resolution is 1024X768 and we have try all the
resolutions...could somebody let me know what I need to do, Thanks!

Re:Delphi 2.01 & Windows NT Workstation

Are you in large font mode???? If so, try changing to small font mode.
Davie
Lance Sledge wrote:
> I am having a problem seeing the VCL components after I installed
> Delphi...the VCL toolbar has the icons, but their all jumbled together and I
> can't tell what they are...the application seems to be running fine..its
> just those icons.  My resolution is 1024X768 and we have try all the
> resolutions...could somebody let me know what I need to do, Thanks!

Re:Delphi 2.01 & Windows NT Workstation

I have tried in both large & small fonts and still recieve the same
problem..Do you know of any patch to this or could it be related to the
video card??

Davie Reed wrote in message <36AD60BD.3CC36...@smatters.com>...
>Are you in large font mode???? If so, try changing to small font mode.
>Davie

>Lance Sledge wrote:

>> I am having a problem seeing the VCL components after I installed
>> Delphi...the VCL toolbar has the icons, but their all jumbled together
and I
>> can't tell what they are...the application seems to be running fine..its
>> just those icons.  My resolution is 1024X768 and we have try all the
>> resolutions...could somebody let me know what I need to do, Thanks!

Re:Delphi 2.01 & Windows NT Workstation

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 08:57:47 -0600, "Lance Sledge"

<Lance.Sle...@Siecor.com> wrote:
> Do you know of any patch to this or could it be related to the
> video card?

It is related to your video card -- you probably have a card based on
the S3 chipset (such as the STB card).

The drivers for the S3 have a known severe bug which negatively
impacts Delphi (and other programs, including Microsoft ones -- see MS
Knowledgebase Article Q176945, available on the MS website).

Here's a nice list compiled by Jeff Overcash which should help.
Obviously the first point doesn't apply to you since you are using D2.

1) Apply SP2 to your Delphi4 at
http://www.inprise.com/devsupport/delphi/downloads/index.html.  SP2
tries to workaround the problem by prebuilding the imagelist large
enough so it should not start in internal memory and start in main
memory.

2) Get the latest driver (www.s3.com or your vendor if your vendors
doesn't work, try the S3 as they tend to be more compliant)

3) Start Delphi with the -ns switch

4) Under the [display] section of the SYSTEM.INI file
add the following line
    BusThrottle=1 (reboot afterwards)

5) Reboot in safe mode and start Delphi.  Goto the properties of the
component pallet and hide all the controls that you rarely use.  This
will reduce the imagelist that is getting built and might get you
under the threshold.

6) reduce the hardware acceleration for the card.
(display->properties->settings->advances->performance)

7) play with color depth/resolution  1024x768 in 16 bit color seems
the worse (particularly with Delphi 3).

8) Get the latest DirectX drivers. (probably not needed for Win98
systems)

--
Rick Rogers (TeamB) | Fenestra Technologies
http://www.fenestra.com/

Re:Delphi 2.01 & Windows NT Workstation

Wow, no solutions here on my end. Have tried s{*word*99}ping it and reinstalling it?
Just curious, I've found on rare occasions that programs don't install properly
(for whatever reason I don't know) and that after reinstalling (on a clean
system) that the stuff then works. Try installing with NO other programs
running at the time.

Davie

Lance Sledge wrote:
> I have tried in both large & small fonts and still recieve the same
> problem..Do you know of any patch to this or could it be related to the
> video card??

> Davie Reed wrote in message <36AD60BD.3CC36...@smatters.com>...
> >Are you in large font mode???? If so, try changing to small font mode.
> >Davie

> >Lance Sledge wrote:

> >> I am having a problem seeing the VCL components after I installed
> >> Delphi...the VCL toolbar has the icons, but their all jumbled together
> and I
> >> can't tell what they are...the application seems to be running fine..its
> >> just those icons.  My resolution is 1024X768 and we have try all the
> >> resolutions...could somebody let me know what I need to do, Thanks!

Re:Delphi 2.01 & Windows NT Workstation

The video driver is an S3Trio 3D.  I have downloaded the latest from S3.com
and it is still giving the same problem.  Another guy here in the office ran
delphi the first time he installed there was a problem with the icons...then
the next day the icon displayed just fine...I am not sure what he did and he
isn't either....but for some reason his machine went back to having icon
problems again....this has to be related to the NT OS because we had Win95
with the S3 adapter and Delphi ran just fine...We are still looking into
it..I would appreciate all the help I can find, Thanks.    Could it be
related to any of the Service Packs or IE4.01 SP1??

Rick Rogers (TeamB) wrote in message

<36add86e.7697...@forums.borland.com>...
>On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 08:57:47 -0600, "Lance Sledge"
><Lance.Sle...@Siecor.com> wrote:

>> Do you know of any patch to this or could it be related to the
>> video card?

>It is related to your video card -- you probably have a card based on
>the S3 chipset (such as the STB card).

>The drivers for the S3 have a known severe bug which negatively
>impacts Delphi (and other programs, including Microsoft ones -- see MS
>Knowledgebase Article Q176945, available on the MS website).

>Here's a nice list compiled by Jeff Overcash which should help.
>Obviously the first point doesn't apply to you since you are using D2.

>1) Apply SP2 to your Delphi4 at
>http://www.inprise.com/devsupport/delphi/downloads/index.html.  SP2
>tries to workaround the problem by prebuilding the imagelist large
>enough so it should not start in internal memory and start in main
>memory.

>2) Get the latest driver (www.s3.com or your vendor if your vendors
>doesn't work, try the S3 as they tend to be more compliant)

>3) Start Delphi with the -ns switch

>4) Under the [display] section of the SYSTEM.INI file
>add the following line
>    BusThrottle=1 (reboot afterwards)

>5) Reboot in safe mode and start Delphi.  Goto the properties of the
>component pallet and hide all the controls that you rarely use.  This
>will reduce the imagelist that is getting built and might get you
>under the threshold.

>6) reduce the hardware acceleration for the card.
>(display->properties->settings->advances->performance)

>7) play with color depth/resolution  1024x768 in 16 bit color seems
>the worse (particularly with Delphi 3).

>8) Get the latest DirectX drivers. (probably not needed for Win98
>systems)

>--
>Rick Rogers (TeamB) | Fenestra Technologies
>http://www.fenestra.com/

Re:Delphi 2.01 & Windows NT Workstation

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999 11:17:40 -0600, "Lance Sledge"

<Lance.Sle...@Siecor.com> wrote:
>this has to be related to the NT OS because we had Win95 with the S3
>adapter and Delphi ran just fine

Keep in mind that the video drivers under NT and Win95 are completely
different.

You might want to post a message in borland.public.install.delphi.
Someone there may be able to tell you of an alternate video driver
that would work better.

-Steve

Other Threads