Delphi 3 and Ole Automation for Word 97

Hi!
I am currently working on the following. We've built an application which
controls MS-Word 95 (vs 7.0) through OLE from Delphi 3.0 code. Now Word 97
has been released and it appears that the OLE interface for Word Basic has
completely changed.In Word 95 we used to program 'aWord.Insert ("MyText")'
where as in Word 97 it appears you have to write
'aWord.ActiveDocument.<whatever>.InsertBefore' to insert some text.My
problem is that I can't find any documentation on how to find the current
position in my document to insert text. Has the previous interface
completely been removed ? Has anyone any experience on controlling Word 95
and Word 97 through similar code ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Roel Peeters
r.peet...@euro-partners.nl
Euro-Partners Informatici

Re:Delphi 3 and Ole Automation for Word 97

There is an excellent paper on the Borland site:

http://www.borland.com/delphi/papers/microexcel.html

that discusses this issue.  The author focuses mainly on Excel, but his
website is listed and he has promised to create an in-depth description for
Word.

David Sweeney
adapti...@tamu.edu

Roel wrote in message

<01bd62f7$2c975000$660ca...@roel-peeters.euro-partners.nl>...
>Hi!
>I am currently working on the following. We've built an application which
>controls MS-Word 95 (vs 7.0) through OLE from Delphi 3.0 code. Now Word 97
>has been released and it appears that the OLE interface for Word Basic has
>completely changed.In Word 95 we used to program 'aWord.Insert ("MyText")'
>where as in Word 97 it appears you have to write
>'aWord.ActiveDocument.<whatever>.InsertBefore' to insert some text.My
>problem is that I can't find any documentation on how to find the current
>position in my document to insert text. Has the previous interface
>completely been removed ? Has anyone any experience on controlling Word 95
>and Word 97 through similar code ?

>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

>Roel Peeters
>r.peet...@euro-partners.nl
>Euro-Partners Informatici

Re:Delphi 3 and Ole Automation for Word 97

In Word95, a peculiar dialect called WordBasic is used.  The origins of
this dialect began with Word 1.0, in which WordBasic follow the command
structure of the menus.  With subsequent versions of Word, WordBasic
drifted away from following the menus.  In Word97, Microsoft has completely
replace the macro language with Visual Basic for Applications, which has
the same syntax as the dialect used in Excel Basic, Visual Basic, Access
Basic, etc.  As such, you will have to rewrite using VBA in Word, which I
recommending doing, leaving the old versions of Word Basic behind.  I plan
on doing a similar conversion, rewriting old WordBasic macros in the new
Word VBA, sometime later this year as soon as I get my present project
completed.  There is no one to one direct translation--one needs to learn
VBA in Word97.  Good luck.
Gene

David Sweeney <da...@stulife2.tamu.edu> wrote in article
<6gg7sg$4l...@news.tamu.edu>...

> There is an excellent paper on the Borland site:

> http://www.borland.com/delphi/papers/microexcel.html

> that discusses this issue.  The author focuses mainly on Excel, but his
> website is listed and he has promised to create an in-depth description
for
> Word.

> David Sweeney
> adapti...@tamu.edu

> Roel wrote in message
> <01bd62f7$2c975000$660ca...@roel-peeters.euro-partners.nl>...
> >Hi!
> >I am currently working on the following. We've built an application
which
> >controls MS-Word 95 (vs 7.0) through OLE from Delphi 3.0 code. Now Word
97
> >has been released and it appears that the OLE interface for Word Basic
has
> >completely changed.In Word 95 we used to program 'aWord.Insert
("MyText")'
> >where as in Word 97 it appears you have to write
> >'aWord.ActiveDocument.<whatever>.InsertBefore' to insert some text.My
> >problem is that I can't find any documentation on how to find the
current
> >position in my document to insert text. Has the previous interface
> >completely been removed ? Has anyone any experience on controlling Word
95
> >and Word 97 through similar code ?

> >Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> >Roel Peeters