resource-workshop

Hi,

Is there any update or patch for borland's resource-workshop
delivered with borland-pascal 7.0 (win-version)

I have never seen a (professional) program with so many bugs.
It crashes and crashes...
When marking an area within an bitmap (bmp-cursor-icon) you can
be shure that the entire windows-system will crash, and only
restarting win can help. And much more bugs...
Why the hell are the borland programmers drunken at work?
And why the hell dont' they test their programs, this bug is really
easy to find....

Can anybody help?

Re:resource-workshop

JOE45657 wrote:

> Hi,

> Is there any update or patch for borland's resource-workshop
> delivered with borland-pascal 7.0 (win-version)

> I have never seen a (professional) program with so many bugs.
> It crashes and crashes...
> When marking an area within an bitmap (bmp-cursor-icon) you can
> be shure that the entire windows-system will crash, and only
> restarting win can help. And much more bugs...
> Why the hell are the borland programmers drunken at work?
> And why the hell dont' they test their programs, this bug is really
> easy to find....

> Can anybody help?

Whenever I used the resource workshop in the past I had to
reduce my Windows display to 256 colours. Then it worked
properly. Try to get an old PC and configure it to 256
colour display, only for the resource workshop.

Franz Glaser

Re:resource-workshop

"Ing. Franz Glaser" wrote:

> JOE45657 wrote:
> > I have never seen a (professional) program with so many bugs.
> > It crashes and crashes...
> > When marking an area within an bitmap (bmp-cursor-icon) you can
> > be shure that the entire windows-system will crash, and only
> > restarting win can help. And much more bugs...
> > Why the hell are the borland programmers drunken at work?
> > And why the hell dont' they test their programs, this bug is really
> > easy to find....

Let me add: When BP 7 was made, Windows 3 was VERY YOUNG. There
were few computers available with more than 256 colours, most
were running with 640x480x16 VGA. Later the circumstances were
changed, but BP 7 was outperformed by Delphi and is no longer
updated.

It is NOT a matter of drunken programmers, and I am also sure
that the resource workshop was tested thoroughly - but not with
Win95 and 16 Mio colours, simply because this was not available
at this time. Even the Borland programmers (which were really
good at this time) have very little prophetic capabilities...

:-) Franz Glaser

Re:resource-workshop

Hi Franz,

That's what i also found:
reducing to 256 will help.

But dit it really need to be "prophetic"?
When BP was still supported in the
early 90th, the example-files shipped
with BP-7.0 (and therefore from Borland)  had lots of truecolor-hints, demos,
and info.
So, they MUST have known.

By the way:
What about delphi? Do they have
any kind of improved Res.-Workshop here?
Does anybody know?
Would prob. make sense to use this one then.

:-)) JOE

Re:resource-workshop

JOE45657 wrote:

> That's what i also found: reducing to 256 will help.
> But dit it really need to be "prophetic"?
> When BP was still supported in the
> early 90th, the example-files shipped
> with BP-7.0 (and therefore from Borland)  had lots of truecolor-hints, demos,
> and info. So, they MUST have known.

Yes, I had a lot of troubles with this strange bug some years
ago. On the other hand: nobody is perfect.

> By the way: What about delphi? Do they have
> any kind of improved Res.-Workshop here?
> Does anybody know? Would prob. make sense to use this one then.

I could read a thread some months ago about a resource
workshop for Delphi, which allowed too many "illegal"
operations, like extracting icons and more from commercial
programs. So Borland decided to deliver it no longer.
But I did not follow the thread thoroughly.

Franz Glaser

Re:resource-workshop

Well, I've been running RW since BP7 and later BC++ 4.5/5.0x and have never
had problems running anywhere from 256 through. 16M colours (including the
"in-between" modes).

I suspect Borland stopped the product because of it's "power" (flak from
other developers ???). You could change/copy etc. almost any resource found
in any file. I love it for "changing" a program's icon(s), stringtables etc.
and still am "pissed-off" Borland doesn't provide it with Delphi.

Ing. Franz Glaser <meg-gla...@eunet.at> wrote in message

> JOE45657 wrote:

> > Hi,

> > Is there any update or patch for borland's resource-workshop
> > delivered with borland-pascal 7.0 (win-version)

> > I have never seen a (professional) program with so many bugs.
> > It crashes and crashes...
> > When marking an area within an bitmap (bmp-cursor-icon) you can
> > be shure that the entire windows-system will crash, and only
> > restarting win can help. And much more bugs...
> > Why the hell are the borland programmers drunken at work?
> > And why the hell dont' they test their programs, this bug is really
> > easy to find....

> > Can anybody help?

> Whenever I used the resource workshop in the past I had to
> reduce my Windows display to 256 colours. Then it worked
> properly. Try to get an old PC and configure it to 256
> colour display, only for the resource workshop.

> Franz Glaser

Re:resource-workshop

On 29 Jan 1999 18:12:18 GMT, joe45...@aol.com (JOE45657) wrote:

>What about delphi? Do they have
>any kind of improved Res.-Workshop here?

Hi Joe, AFAIK there's only the "picture editor" (sorry don't know it's
english name) included in Delphi, but I've heard that the Resource
Wokshop is still available in one of the C Builder distributions....

- Ulli -

The Coder's Knowledge Base
http://www.netalive.org/ckb

Re:resource-workshop

Ulli Conrad wrote:

> On 29 Jan 1999 18:12:18 GMT, joe45...@aol.com (JOE45657) wrote:

> >What about delphi? Do they have
> >any kind of improved Res.-Workshop here?
> Hi Joe, AFAIK there's only the "picture editor" (sorry don't know it's
> english name) included in Delphi, but I've heard that the Resource
> Wokshop is still available in one of the C Builder distributions....

I think Borlands C++ 4.5 is the last version that comes with a
standalone (and slightly improved) RWS. I'm still using it for
BP7 as well. Later versions - 5.01/5.02 or Builder - only ship
a modified RWS as "build in application", just launchable from
within the IDE.

ciao
   Martin

-- Roleplayer's famous last words No.415:        Doubl...@gmx.net
-- "By the way, what's the reverse of "summon"?"      Martin Kruk

Other Threads