Clipper App Upgrade - VB or Delphi..?

I have been monitoring these NG's lately and was impressed with the
thread "VB or Delphi" and I think it was a draw,,,,,

My problem is I am a old (yes, old) Clipper programmer with a
particular DOS dBase- format accounting app written back in 1986,
which my users have decided want upgraded to Win9x/NT and y2k clean.
It featured four databases, each with up to three indices and average
file size was circa 500kb with 4,000 records - nothing too heavy..!

To minimize (a) learning curve   (b) .dbf/.ndx connectivity  (c) Win
compatability  -- could I seek the thoughts of you wise users (from
both camps) as to the best choice...?

I don't want a rehash of all the good opinions in the earlier thread,
but just a quick vote, based squarely on my need - I don't know how
much other work I am likely to generate from the software investment,
since these days, I am more into consulting that development - but I
feel obliged to support my loyal users.... thanx in advance...  Jim

Jim Ferguson (:->)  Optimum Enterprises   {Info-Technology:Hardware & Software}
      Email - opti...@gil.com.au             {Consultants to Small Business}
      Smail - P.O. Box 6380 Acacia Ridge D.C. Qld 4110 Australia
      Voice - 0418 742 007    Fax - 07 3345 7725         "Om Mani Padme Hum"
      URL   - http://www.home.gil.com.au/~optimum
Business Philosophy::  "Success = People + Plan + Technology"
       and on Life ::  "The Meaning of Life = Love + Laugh + Learn"

Re:Clipper App Upgrade - VB or Delphi..?

Im programming in both VB and Delphi, VB since a few month, Delphi for
several years. IMO VB is the more rapid RAD because of the better editor.
For me Delphi is "better" , since its more structured and a really
OO-language, but for a newcomer VB is easier to learn and the implemented
Access-Database from VB doesnt have the known problems of Inprises BDE.

--
Andreas Klein

>> save many, save often  <<

Remove XXX from my eMail

Jim Ferguson schrieb in Nachricht
<35b5ec20.238520...@news.ipswich.gil.com.au>...

>I have been monitoring these NG's lately and was impressed with the
>thread "VB or Delphi" and I think it was a draw,,,,,

>My problem is I am a old (yes, old) Clipper programmer with a
>particular DOS dBase- format accounting app written back in 1986,
>which my users have decided want upgraded to Win9x/NT and y2k clean.
>It featured four databases, each with up to three indices and average
>file size was circa 500kb with 4,000 records - nothing too heavy..!

>To minimize (a) learning curve   (b) .dbf/.ndx connectivity  (c) Win
>compatability  -- could I seek the thoughts of you wise users (from
>both camps) as to the best choice...?

>I don't want a rehash of all the good opinions in the earlier thread,
>but just a quick vote, based squarely on my need - I don't know how
>much other work I am likely to generate from the software investment,
>since these days, I am more into consulting that development - but I
>feel obliged to support my loyal users.... thanx in advance...  Jim

>Jim Ferguson (:->)  Optimum Enterprises   {Info-Technology:Hardware &
Software}
>      Email - opti...@gil.com.au             {Consultants to Small
Business}
>      Smail - P.O. Box 6380 Acacia Ridge D.C. Qld 4110 Australia
>      Voice - 0418 742 007    Fax - 07 3345 7725         "Om Mani Padme
Hum"
>      URL   - http://www.home.gil.com.au/~optimum
>Business Philosophy::  "Success = People + Plan + Technology"
>       and on Life ::  "The Meaning of Life = Love + Laugh + Learn"

Re:Clipper App Upgrade - VB or Delphi..?

In article <35b5ec20.238520...@news.ipswich.gil.com.au>, opti...@gil.com.au
says...

>I have been monitoring these NG's lately and was impressed with the
>thread "VB or Delphi" and I think it was a draw,,,,,

>My problem is I am a old (yes, old) Clipper programmer with a
>particular DOS dBase- format accounting app written back in 1986,
>which my users have decided want upgraded to Win9x/NT and y2k clean.
>It featured four databases, each with up to three indices and average
>file size was circa 500kb with 4,000 records - nothing too heavy..!

>To minimize (a) learning curve   (b) .dbf/.ndx connectivity  (c) Win
>compatability  -- could I seek the thoughts of you wise users (from
>both camps) as to the best choice...?

It seems that you've the same condition with me here.
I'm clipper programmer and has been trying to port the application to windows
enviroment.
What I found is :
If you want still use the clipper syntax ( it will reduce the learning curve )
IMO you've two options :
1. Using Fivewin ( cannot build 32bit app )
2. Using xBase++ ( maybe this is the best option, I haven't tried it yet )
both product can use .dbf/.ntx/.ndx.

I myself is trying to porting my application using Delphi.
Until now I think Delphi is more mature, has more capabilities without have to
buy other library, I never use VB.

Regards,

Sobari Tanuwijaya

Re:Clipper App Upgrade - VB or Delphi..?

You might want to consider the latest versions of either Borland's dBase or
Microsoft's FoxPro, if you want the shortest learning curve, since these
both use the old dBase language with additions.  I myself prefer Delphi,
which can be used with dBase files.  Good luck.
Gene

Jim Ferguson <opti...@gil.com.au> wrote in article

On Wed, 22 Jul 1998 13:52:52 GMT, opti...@gil.com.au (Jim Ferguson) wrote:
>.... I am more into consulting that development - but ......

So what do you care? If you have 2 developers, one in VB the other in Delphi, hire the one with best
developed skills in the corresponding area.
Both VB and Delphi will require about the same amount of time to learn and achieve the necessary
level of perfection/professionalism. In your case it looks like a cost saving solution to outsource.

Re:Clipper App Upgrade - VB or Delphi..?

Of course, you are going to get biased answer here, but Here's my 2cents..
worth..

I programmed in Clipper for about 8 years. Delphi made the most sense for
me..
VB was just to lame. I always seemed to hit a wall. Visual Dbase was just
too bulky, I.E. runtimes etc. Also, very very poor low level abilities. I
would say the same for Visual FoxPro..

In Delphi, I can write a simple app by dragging and dropping, or a real
intense multi threaded one.. I dont feel limitations.

Also, I use Halcyon that lets my do all my good old Clipper stuff in
Delphi..
I end up with just one exe, no runtimes , DLL's etc.  You use the same xbase
syntax.. check out http://www.grifsolu.com

I think the saying "Delphi is V.B. on steroids" is accurate..

--
Gordon Hamm
Voice Data Systems Inc.

Gordon Hamm wrote:

> Of course, you are going to get biased answer here, but Here's my 2cents..
> worth..

> I programmed in Clipper for about 8 years. Delphi made the most sense for
> me..
> VB was just to lame. I always seemed to hit a wall. Visual Dbase was just
> too bulky, I.E. runtimes etc. Also, very very poor low level abilities. I
> would say the same for Visual FoxPro..

> In Delphi, I can write a simple app by dragging and dropping, or a real
> intense multi threaded one.. I dont feel limitations.

> Also, I use Halcyon that lets my do all my good old Clipper stuff in
> Delphi..
> I end up with just one exe, no runtimes , DLL's etc.  You use the same xbase
> syntax.. check out http://www.grifsolu.com

> I think the saying "Delphi is V.B. on steroids" is accurate..

My 2C on the question would be that "both languages are more-or-less
equally expressive for this purpose, and the distinction may not be
relevant at all."

:-) !!

When you are looking at converting a clipper app to <anything else>, the
distinctions between a compiler and an interpreter, between InPrise and
Microsoft, really do not have any relevance(!!) at all.  What matters,
and all that matters, is how closely the environment-of-choice maps to
the Clipper environment, if indeed it does at all.

(And it probably doesn't.)

Clipper is, of course, an interpreted or psudo-interpreted environment,
optimized (in the manner of all programs-of-its-era) for the purpose it
is designed to achieve.  Neither VB nor Delphi are particularly
optimized in this way.  It may be that some other "4GL" might actually
be more suitable.

The original poster of this thread may well be advised to stop and
think, "why did I select VB and Delphi as my candiates, and is this
choice actually defensible?"

Also, "why did I limit my choices to VB and Delphi?"

In article <35b7d587.363807...@news.ipswich.gil.com.au>, opti...@gil.com.au (Jim Ferguson) writes:
> To the very many respondents who offered opinion by direct email and
> here in these NG's....  thank you very much.
> Had it been a marketing survey or a poll, the result, if you are
> interested was -
> an overwhelming yes for Delphi with a major add on vote for Apollo as
> dBase engine.

Perhaps the Delphites are merely more rabid?

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jfos...@ricochet.net> Spam is irrelevant. Assimilate this:
<ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/softlib/index.txt> Microsoft's master patch list