HELP TPascal 7 under Windows 98/512M RAM/P3-900

HellooOOoo...

    I've needed to resurrect a stack of applications I wrote under Turbo
Pascal 7 for DOS.

    However, I cannot run programs under the IDE from DOS or Windows 98
SE, nor can I run my applications from the DOS prompt.  (doing a safe
command prompt too).

    Why won't these programs run on my computer any more?  How do I
recompile them for DOS so that they run?

    Also, has anybody written a Turbo Pascal program to play MP3 files
to a Sound Blaster 16/32/64/128?  It would need to stream and do other
things at the same time...

Thanks for any help!

Doogie

Re:HELP TPascal 7 under Windows 98/512M RAM/P3-900

What do you mean "They Don't Run."????????????????

The #1 (by far) most common reason for "They Don't Run" is the RTE200
problem.  (Division by zero in CRT unit).   It happens because usually
the user who has this problem not only upgraded their OS, but also
their COMPUTER, which is the problem because normal Turbo
Pascal has a bug that only manifests itself on higher-speed hardware.

Now that I look at your subject line, I see you have 900Mhz hardware.
You upgraded your computer, right?

Is this your category?  Then go to groups.google.com and search
for RTE200

Rufus

default user <u...@default.user> said the following:

>    I've needed to resurrect a stack of applications I wrote under Turbo
>Pascal 7 for DOS.

>    However, I cannot run programs under the IDE from DOS or Windows 98
>SE, nor can I run my applications from the DOS prompt.  (doing a safe
>command prompt too).

>    Why won't these programs run on my computer any more?  How do I
>recompile them for DOS so that they run?

You do not say what error you might be getting but I guess RTE200. See
mFAQ, location in my .sig or see mFAQ posting here 2002-01-20
--
Information on this newsgroup is posted weekly - read before writing!
Contains links to    |  http://www.pedt.serve.net.uk/faq/clpb-faq.txt

Re:HELP TPascal 7 under Windows 98/512M RAM/P3-900

JRS:  In article <3C50F37D.C779E...@default.user>, seen in
news:comp.lang.pascal.borland, default user <u...@default.user> wrote at
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 15:56:13 :-

>    I've needed to resurrect a stack of applications I wrote under Turbo
>Pascal 7 for DOS.

>    However, I cannot run programs under the IDE from DOS or Windows 98
>SE, nor can I run my applications from the DOS prompt.  (doing a safe
>command prompt too).

Well, if you were to tell us exactly in what way they do not work, we
might be able to tell you exactly why.  You have, one hopes, read the
c.l.p.b mFAQ (last posted here on Sunday) with care?  Can it possibly be
that this is the first time you've tried these old programs on your new
computer, with its fast CPU and over 64MB of RAM?

Re:HELP TPascal 7 under Windows 98/512M RAM/P3-900

"default user" <u...@default.user> wrote in message

> HellooOOoo...

>     I've needed to resurrect a stack of applications I wrote under Turbo
> Pascal 7 for DOS.

>     However, I cannot run programs under the IDE from DOS or Windows 98
> SE, nor can I run my applications from the DOS prompt.  (doing a safe
> command prompt too).

>     Why won't these programs run on my computer any more?  How do I
> recompile them for DOS so that they run?

>     Also, has anybody written a Turbo Pascal program to play MP3 files
> to a Sound Blaster 16/32/64/128?  It would need to stream and do other
> things at the same time...

> Thanks for any help!

> Doogie

Let me guess- are you getting a run-time error 200 at some address with an
offset of 0091? That would be a VFAQ (except maybe people are asking less
frequently these days). I have pasted (with an a) the relevant section of
the mini-FAQ below. The "large number" mentioned there is the number of
times the CPU can execute a certain loop in 55 milliseconds (the DOS timer
is updated every 55 milliseconds). The mini-FAQ gets looked after by Pedt
Scragg and he posts it (with an o) periodically in c.l.p.b, you may like
to google for it.

Cheers

FP

From Pedt Scragg's mini-FAQ:

3) Very Frequently Asked Questions.

* Fast CPUs (Celeron, Pentium II, and >200MHz) give problems with Crt.Delay.

   A problem may occur with a PP-200 (or better) CPU in that Runtime Error
   no. 200 is generated by the start-up code of the CRT unit. There is a
   division of a large number by 55 whose result won't fit into a 16 bit
   register; the CPU generates an 'overflow' exception/interrupt which is
   interpreted by the system library as "divide by zero"
exception/interrupt.

   See Timo Salmi's FAQ #124 for details.

   Frank Heckenbach's remedy, for TP/BP 7.00/7.01, is
   available at
           http://fjf.gnu.de/programs.html#NewDelay

   Or Roger Donais's remedy : Those without source, compiling DOS real mode
   programs may find RDELAY.ZIP useful
           http://users.southeast.net/~rdonais/tpascal.html
           ftp://users.southeast.net/~rdonais/tpascal/rdelay.zip
   It contains source for a Turbo 4.0 through 7.0 compatible unit designed
   to prevent the "Divide by 0" error encountered on fast machines.

   Osmo Ronkanen has produced a Loader program for those programs that
cannot
   be patched. His newsgroup posting is available from
           ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/PC/turbopa7/tfix.zip

   There was a related problem in earlier TP version when the initialisation
   code calibrated the delay to be too short without generating an error.
Frank
   Heckenbach's page has a fix and also see Timo Salmi's FAQ, article #67.
The
   replacement CRT unit from Pedt Scragg also addresses the problems with
the
   incorrect delay on processors >200MHz for TP V5.0, V5.5 and V6.

   Franz Glaser has collected a large number of patches for this and they
can
   be found via http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/2926/tp.html

   Andreas Bauer has produced a patch for an executeable program. Available
from
   ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/PC/turbopa7/tppatch.zip
   This program can be installed as a tool in the Pascal IDE:
     ~B~auer's TPPATCH / TPPATCH / $EXENAME
   You can check by compiling to disk and running a program using Alt-R R
that
   uses a non-fixed CRT unit. After the RTE200, use Alt-T B then run the
program
   again - the error will be fixed.

   Further discussions of timing and delays can be found in Prof. Salmi's
   TurboPascal FAQ, in Kris Heidenstrom's Timing FAQ, in the newsgroup
   comp.lang.pascal.borland - *read previous posts first*, and at
           http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/pas-time.htm#Delay

   There has been a tentative suggestion that >450MHz CPU's could give
problems
   with *some* of the fixes available. This seems to be, at the time of
writing,
   affecting the programs that have used c't magazine fix and related ones
which
   patched the code to set the divisor to 126 instead of 55.
   C't have now released a new patch that will work above 450MHz. Obtainable
from
   ftp://ftp.heise.de/pub/ct/ctsi/ctbppat.zip

   If you do use a fix for this error which does not work then please post
*which* fix
   with the file datestamp and place obtained, your CPU / OS / Error Message
returned.

   See Section 4.1 for a replacement CRT unit available for download.

#  Frank Heckenbach's fix is provided with the French TP7.01 free download

Re:HELP TPascal 7 under Windows 98/512M RAM/P3-900

The Borland France TP 7 download is noted as 'Haypo' and might be a patched
version.

Other Threads