Working with ACCESS Databases

Hello

I'm totally new at Database programming. I want to create an application
that uses an Access Database. If I am correct, I have to define an alias
for the Database. I've created it, but when I try to access it through
the BDE Admin it asks me a password, and when I leave everyting blank I
get an error.

Am I doing anything wrong? Do I require some other files?

Many thanks,

Gali Drudis
galidru...@redestb.es

Re:Working with ACCESS Databases

What version of Access? Access 97? When does it ask you for the password?
What is the exact text of the error message? What version of Delphi are you
using? What version of the BDE are you using?

--
Bill Todd

Re:Working with ACCESS Databases

>I'm totally new at Database programming. I want to create an application
>that uses an Access Database. If I am correct, I have to define an alias

Either that or connect through a Tdatabase

>for the Database. I've created it, but when I try to access it through
>the BDE Admin it asks me a password, and when I leave everyting blank I
>get an error.

BDE expects you to provide a vaid user name and password that you have set up in
access.    If you have not changed it the Access default is Admin for a username
and no password

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@DataGuidance.com

Re:Working with ACCESS Databases

Just create a TDataBase component, connect it to the alias, and set
LoginPrompt to false. Then connect your tables to this new database in the
databasename property.

Bill Todd (TeamB) wrote:
> What version of Access? Access 97? When does it ask you for the password?
> What is the exact text of the error message? What version of Delphi are you
> using? What version of the BDE are you using?

I'm using Delphi 3 Standard Edition. The BDE is v. 4.00, and the Access is
Access 97. It asks me the password when I try to open the Database in the BDE.
I tried the Admin as Username and nothing as password, but it wouldn't work.

Somewhere in the Group, I've seen some messages saying that I have to change
the DLL32 property of the ACCESS driver, but I CAN'T change it. Do I miss any
file?

Re:Working with ACCESS Databases

I don't understand what you mean by, "open the database in the BDE." Do you
get the message when you set the Connected property of the TDatabase
component in your program to True? If so, just set the LoginPrompt property
of the TDatabase component to False and you will not see the prompt.

If this is happening in the BDE Administrator please explain exactly what
you are doing step by step.

You do need to change the DLL32 parameter of the MSACCESS driver to
IDDA3532.DLL to use Access 97 databases.

--
Bill Todd

Re:Working with ACCESS Databases

On Thu, 08 Oct 1998 20:36:01 +0200, Gali Drudis

<galidru...@redestb.es> wrote:

>I'm using Delphi 3 Standard Edition. The BDE is v. 4.00, and the Access is
>Access 97. It asks me the password when I try to open the Database in the BDE.
>I tried the Admin as Username and nothing as password, but it wouldn't work.

As far as I remember BDE 4.0 will not work with Access 97...

em...@unacs.bg (E.T.) wrote:
>On Thu, 08 Oct 1998 20:36:01 +0200, Gali Drudis
><galidru...@redestb.es> wrote:

>>I'm using Delphi 3 Standard Edition. The BDE is v. 4.00, and the Access is
>>Access 97. It asks me the password when I try to open the Database in the BDE.
>>I tried the Admin as Username and nothing as password, but it wouldn't work.

>As far as I remember BDE 4.0 will not work with Access 97...

    I agree, but I'd also like to note that (at least on Bde 5) it
always asks for a password - just press Enter or click on Ok to skip
it. Should work, if there isn't a password.

Luiz Marques                       s...@nospam.stg.com.br
[Remove nospam]
Starglider Systems