How to obtain group-information from ProgMan?

I've asked this question before, but since I haven't got any good
solutions, I ask it again:

I'm working on improving my installation-program. In the new version
I'd like to give the user the possibility to choose if the new program
should be placed in an existing group in Windows Program Manager or if
an new group should be created.

Therefore I need a hint about how to obtain group-information from
ProgMan via DDE. Is there any command that could be sent along with
wm_DDE_Request or...?

(I know a bit about DDE-programming and to create new groups and items
etc is no problem).

The documentation from Borland about this only tells "that it's
possible" to get this information from ProgMan, but it doesn't say
*how*.

I have also thought about reading the information from ProgMans
*-grp-files, but that would most ceartainly not work with newer
Windows versions.

I'm programming in Turbo Pascal ver 1.5 but a solution in any language
would be appreciated.

Kind Regards,

P?r Abrahamsson

e-mail: infob...@algonet.se

Re:How to obtain group-information from ProgMan?

:
: I'm working on improving my installation-program. In the new version
: I'd like to give the user the possibility to choose if the new program
: should be placed in an existing group in Windows Program Manager or if
: an new group should be created.
:
: Therefore I need a hint about how to obtain group-information from
: ProgMan via DDE. Is there any command that could be sent along with
: wm_DDE_Request or...?
:
I just did a quick search on the word ProgMan and this is what I came
up with:

   File: Windows 3.1 SDK

   Shell Dynamic-Data Exchange Interface Overview (3.1)

   This topic describes the dynamic data exchange (DDE) interface of
   Windows Program Manager (PROGMAN.EXE). Program Manager is an
   application that lets users group, ........

This may be what you are after. Note this help file is part of the
Windows SDK that comes with most C/C++ compilers for windows.

Jussi Jumppanen (jus...@ca.com.au)
Author of: Hardware Digital Logic Analyers for Windows
           Zeus for Windows, Win32 (Brief, WordStar, Emacs clone) Editor
"The ultimate programmers editor and development environment"
Home Page: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jussi

Re:How to obtain group-information from ProgMan?

In article <540219$...@epimetheus.algonet.se>,

Svenska InfoByte <infob...@algonet.se> wrote:
>I've asked this question before, but since I haven't got any good
>solutions, I ask it again:

>Therefore I need a hint about how to obtain group-information from
>ProgMan via DDE. Is there any command that could be sent along with
>wm_DDE_Request or...?

>The documentation from Borland about this only tells "that it's
>possible" to get this information from ProgMan, but it doesn't say
>*how*.

    Delphi Super Page:
        http://sunsite.unc.edu.pl/archive/delphi/

    Download the source code to the program "COOLDDE", it obtains
    the group info from ProgMan, including the group names and
    their contents.

    The code is in Delphi (Object Pascal), so it should translate
    to TP 7 with ease.

--
    Shaun        flisa...@cs.wisc.edu
    http://www.laserpoint.com/    - Shareware Games for Windows & Macs