Dialer project - some very basic help wanted

I want to write a custom dialer in Pascal for running on a windows
95/98 machine. It won't have any user interface at runtime, so there
are no screen graphics involved. Can anyone tell me if Borland is the
best Pascal compiler for this purpose or are there more suitable ones
?

I am thinking of how difficult it will be to set up the serial port in
W98 and dial out from it. To start with I don't want to send or
receive data with the modem, I just want to be able to dial out
satisfactorily and get used to the basic modem handling with AT
commands etc. Can anyone help with suggestions, or even point to
existing source code that I can use to get started ?

All comments very very welcome.