Unusual characters in alias database path

Hi.
I just fell over a little problem with the BDE aliases.

On a french system, the personal application data folder contains the
character ' , single quote.

When I try to access a table in such a directory, I only get the
error message : Unknown Filename.

Is there any known workaround or bugfix ?

Thanks,
Thomas Minor

Re:Unusual characters in alias database path

Hi Thomas,
I encountered the same problem when trying to open an address book located
in a subfolder of the personal application data folder ( system folder:
CSIDL_APPDATA ) on french Windows NT4 SP5 (or SP6a) systems.

This is normally a path like this: "c:\WinNT\profiles\dummyuser.001\Donne
d'Application".

This is very painful because you have to place your data there if you want
to get the Windows 2000 certification from Microsoft for your product :-((.

Generally you can't open a database table located in a path that contains an
apostroph ( >'< ) independant from the operation system or installed
language.

Is there anyone out there ( hi TeamB ;-) who can help?

CU

Peter Tuente

Peter Tuente wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
> I encountered the same problem when trying to open an address book located
> in a subfolder of the personal application data folder ( system folder:
> CSIDL_APPDATA ) on french Windows NT4 SP5 (or SP6a) systems.

> This is normally a path like this: "c:\WinNT\profiles\dummyuser.001\Donne
> d'Application".

> This is very painful because you have to place your data there if you want
> to get the Windows 2000 certification from Microsoft for your product :-((.

> Generally you can't open a database table located in a path that contains an
> apostroph ( >'< ) independant from the operation system or installed
> language.

> Is there anyone out there ( hi TeamB ;-) who can help?

> CU

> Peter Tuente

> "Thomas Minor" <Thomas.Mi...@REMOVE.THIS.materna.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > Hi.
> > I just fell over a little problem with the BDE aliases.

> > On a french system, the personal application data folder contains the
> > character ' , single quote.

> > When I try to access a table in such a directory, I only get the
> > error message : Unknown Filename.

> > Is there any known workaround or bugfix ?

> > Thanks,
> > Thomas Minor

A year (or so) ago I submitted a bug report on the fact that you can't
use paths that include German umlauts. The reply I got stated that this
isn't considered a bug. Which means it will not be fixed. I think this
also applies to your problems. The best bet would be to use short path
names, but I didn't try it myself.

Martin

> Hi.
> I just fell over a little problem with the BDE aliases.

> On a french system, the personal application data folder contains the
> character ' , single quote.

> When I try to access a table in such a directory, I only get the
> error message : Unknown Filename.

> Is there any known workaround or bugfix ?

> Thanks,
> Thomas Minor

now I finally know the answer to your problem ;-)
It all has to do with the file system the BDE is installed at.

When BDE is on a FAT partition (FAT16 / FAT32) everything works just fine.
When BDE is on a NTFS partition the stated errors occur.

Formerly I had the BDE installed at drive E ( NTFS ) , now I moved the BDE
folder to drive C ( FAT16 ) and everything
works just fine again ( needless to say that I had to export
"HKLM\Software\Borland\BLW32" and  "HKLM\Software\Borland\Database Engine" ,
change all occurences of "E:\\BDE" to "C:\\BDE" and then
had to import the settings again B-)

This solution is not satisfying at all because most of our customers won't
have a FAT partition anymore - but maybe one can use
a RAM disk under NT ( FAT ) and copy the needed files to it patch needed
system settings ...  - so I have to expore further ;-)

PiT

Re:Unusual characters in alias database path

Hi Thomas,
after reviewing everything I must revise my statements:

> now I finally know the answer to your problem ;-)
> It all has to do with the file system the BDE is installed at.

> When BDE is on a FAT partition (FAT16 / FAT32) everything works just fine.
> When BDE is on a NTFS partition the stated errors occur.

> Formerly I had the BDE installed at drive E ( NTFS ) , now I moved the BDE
> folder to drive C ( FAT16 ) and everything
> works just fine again ( needless to say that I had to export
> "HKLM\Software\Borland\BLW32" and  "HKLM\Software\Borland\Database Engine"
,
> change all occurences of "E:\\BDE" to "C:\\BDE" and then
> had to import the settings again B-)

> This solution is not satisfying at all because most of our customers won't
> have a FAT partition anymore - but maybe one can use
> a RAM disk under NT ( FAT ) and copy the needed files to it patch needed
> system settings ...  - so I have to expore further ;-)

The problem isn't the location of the BDE, but the location of the database
( dBASE ) tables.

When the dBASE tables reside on a FAT drive (FAT16 / FAT32) everything works
OK
When they ly on a NTFS drive the described problems occur ( but only when
the path contains
a / some >'< (apostroph[s]).

The BDE can without problems reside on a NTFS drive.

PiT

Other Threads