Local SQL -> SQL

I have Applications with DBase DB's, (Delphi Professional 3)
Maybe I will change to Sybase SQL.
Now I changed a little application (with my DBase-DB's) to local SQL and
almost everything is working.
Now I don't understand some things:
- What does the (expensive) upgrade to Delphi Client/Server deliver for me ?
Are there new components ? Or is it only the driver for the SQL-Server I
need (Sybase) ?
- Do I have to change something or does everything run with local SQL.
- What's about the performance ? Is it much better when I change it from
Local SQL to SQL.

Thanks for tips

wkueh...@bluewin.ch

Re:Local SQL -> SQL

Local SQL currently does not cover SQL92 completely. It is fairly robust in the
data retrieval area, but in the table creation arena, you can't honestly create
a set of tables that meet 2nd normal(or maybe that's 3rd??)!!!

As far as what comes with Delphi CS, I think the only difference is you get SQL
Links??? and a license for interbase, as well as drivers for other big DB's, but
don't take my word for it, because I don't remember what I have :)

As far as performance goes, can't answer that, but SQL has tons more
functionality, than LocalSQL.

But, I'll tell you what we did, we bought Delphi Pro, and Oracle 8 licenses, and
a set of cheap components to let delphi directly use Oracle, without BDE, or SQL
Links... Just plop the component down, specify where of the network the Oracle
table is, by aliases, and send it SQL*Plus code. It works with all of the data
aware components too.

--

          ///         Brett W. Fleming
        / ^ \         Software Engineer II

Re:Local SQL -> SQL

Brett W. Fleming wrote in message <34F57DA2.CBA16...@vtls.com>...
>As far as what comes with Delphi CS, I think the only difference is you get
SQL
>Links??? and a license for interbase, as well as drivers for other big
DB's, but
>don't take my word for it, because I don't remember what I have :)

SQL Links is one. The other things are the MIDAS connectivity and the
ability to create web-enabled applications (ISAPI/NSAPI/CGI/etc.) along with
components for creating HTML tables from queries and/or other custom Delphi
events. There may be more, but I'm not sure.

The MIDAS includes a component called TClientDataSet, which is quite useful
as a temporary, in-memory table. In fact, it will even read and write its
recordset to/from a file or a TStream object. Very cool.

Dave Prothero

Other Threads