How share a one BDE and one config file to all network users

Hi,

How I can Instaling a one BDE and one config file on a
server and share these uniques files with all users at
network ?

Fanklin Fontes mailto:fr...@fmbr.com

Re:How share a one BDE and one config file to all network users

Install the BDE like you want it on a shared drive. Setup aliases, network
control dir and so forth. Store you're config file with the BDE. (You'll
have to figure out what rights (RWXC etc) are needed)

Start regedit, dump all keys with something like the BDE in it to a file,
and import them on every workstation. You may want to do this in a login
script every time you're users login so everyone has the same settings. I
have done this with the KIX toolset on an NT server once (long ago).

Bart

Franklin V Fontes heeft geschreven in bericht <38ef55b2@dnews>...

>Hi,

>How I can Instaling a one BDE and one config file on a
>server and share these uniques files with all users at
>network ?

>Fanklin Fontes mailto:fr...@fmbr.com

Re:How share a one BDE and one config file to all network users

There was an article in Delphi Informant a few months back that
explained this.  Basically you just copy the BDE to your server and then
change some registry entries to point to the server instead of the
workstation.  You also have the change the config version key from win32
to win31.

What I did is after I got the first workstation working, I exported the
borland tree in the registry and then I import it on new workstations I
have to setup.

John

--
John C. Noland
(949) 643-8328

Get paid to surf the Web.  Or put another way,
Would you be willing to rent in inch of your screen?
http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=HSJ945

Re:How share a one BDE and one config file to all network users

Basically, you don't.  For one, having the .DLL files local will help
performance.  For another, the BDE likes to stick its hands into the
registry.

On Sat, 8 Apr 2000 13:01:43 -0300, "Franklin V Fontes"

<fr...@fmbr.com> wrote:
>Hi,

>How I can Instaling a one BDE and one config file on a
>server and share these uniques files with all users at
>network ?

>Fanklin Fontes mailto:fr...@fmbr.com

Re:How share a one BDE and one config file to all network users

Well, BDE should be installed on each machine but in fact you -can- and
often -should- share one configuration file.

I typically create applications which start with a script.  The script
checks to see if an alias is defined; if not we immediately know that
the wrong config-file is used.  Then we check to make sure that the
directories defined by those aliases do exist -- are visible from the
user's machine.  If all is well, the application main form is opened.
If not, appropriate error-messages are generated.