HUGE HUGE HUGE problems

Hi,

We've a IB 5.6 database running at a Novell 4.11 server of a customer of us.

What happend:

The IB process take suddenly 98% of the CPU and won't stop anymore. So the
customer called us about this.

We said: you better swich to a NT version of IB. Send us you GDB file and we
convert it for you to NT format. Normally the GDB file is about 15 Mb. Very
small thus.

When my customer looked at the filesize it was 4 GigaByte!

We could not copy it, store it to CD or something, so the only solution was
to try to backup.

That worked (hurray)! Only 14,5 Mb left after restoring the file.

After that the complete server had the be rebooted(CPU utilization upto
98%), about 50 people pissed off and we bought Oracle for the customer.

Have anybody had this problem too???

Bye,

Rob

Re:HUGE HUGE HUGE problems

Was the client doing regular backups/restores?

Rob van der Leer <rl...@lnm.nl> wrote in message news:3b40809b$1_1@dnews...

> Hi,

> We've a IB 5.6 database running at a Novell 4.11 server of a customer of
us.

> What happend:

> The IB process take suddenly 98% of the CPU and won't stop anymore. So the
> customer called us about this.

> We said: you better swich to a NT version of IB. Send us you GDB file and
we
> convert it for you to NT format. Normally the GDB file is about 15 Mb.
Very
> small thus.

> When my customer looked at the filesize it was 4 GigaByte!

> We could not copy it, store it to CD or something, so the only solution
was
> to try to backup.

> That worked (hurray)! Only 14,5 Mb left after restoring the file.

> After that the complete server had the be rebooted(CPU utilization upto
> 98%), about 50 people pissed off and we bought Oracle for the customer.

> Have anybody had this problem too???

> Bye,

> Rob

Re:HUGE HUGE HUGE problems

Don't use IB on Netware. 15 Mb database is very small and this isn't the
source of your problems. By the way, Oracle has discountinued the Netware
support varios months ago. Check what you buy becuase hasn't future (Oracle
on Netware).

--
Sergio Samayoa
Lgica Software

"Rob van der Leer" <rl...@lnm.nl> escribi en el mensaje

> Hi,

> We've a IB 5.6 database running at a Novell 4.11 server of a customer of
us.

> What happend:

> The IB process take suddenly 98% of the CPU and won't stop anymore. So the
> customer called us about this.

> We said: you better swich to a NT version of IB. Send us you GDB file and
we
> convert it for you to NT format. Normally the GDB file is about 15 Mb.
Very
> small thus.

> When my customer looked at the filesize it was 4 GigaByte!

> We could not copy it, store it to CD or something, so the only solution
was
> to try to backup.

> That worked (hurray)! Only 14,5 Mb left after restoring the file.

> After that the complete server had the be rebooted(CPU utilization upto
> 98%), about 50 people pissed off and we bought Oracle for the customer.

> Have anybody had this problem too???

> Bye,

> Rob

Re:HUGE HUGE HUGE problems

Rob van der Leer wrote:

> When my customer looked at the filesize it was 4 GigaByte!

        You cannot allow an individual IB file to get this large.  It will
corrupt the DB.  You must add additional files to the DB before it
becomes this large.

        HTH,

        -Craig

Re:HUGE HUGE HUGE problems

> When my customer looked at the filesize it was 4 GigaByte!

My suggestion would be to contact Ann Harrison at IBPhoenix
(www.ibphoenix.com) and see if they might be able to help you.  Given
the level of inexperience of the Borland IB support staff with the
NetWare version, I'd say that if Ann can't help you recover the
database, nobody can.

David R.

Other Threads