ALERT: BDE Error $2303 on WinNT/Tutility, and DB-file deleted

I have run into a situation where I am using DBRestructure and both
versions of the BDE - 3.5 and 4.01 deleted my table.

We keep our own data dictionary and have a product called dictmakr and
another called rebuilding utility called DBTools. The purpose is to
update our clients databases on version change.

The crazyness is as follows:
Since we have a record of indexes our strategy is to delete indexes,
rename our table to become the eventual backup copy and then restructure
from our table creating indexes, violation tables problem tables and end
up with our original table name.

As it turns out we can prepend anything we want (bak*.* to denote backup
etc.) but if our original table name has 8 characters in the base name
and we postpend (*bak.* for sorting reasons) the BDE deletes our table
and tells us that dBASE is busy or paradox has some form of open
violation. We can use a base name of 1 to 7 or 9 and larger without
problems.

My guess is a one off pointer error in the BDE???

Garry Kernan

Sundial Services wrote:

> We recently encountered an error-code from BDE (ERRCAT_IO + 3) being returned
> from Tutility (repair function) on a shared drive with an NT network.  In the
> same conditions, Paradox-7 hung while calling the "FillCrTblDesc" function to
> populate information about tables (any) in that directory; it did not get to
> the point where it would perform either a verify or a repair but had to be
> restarted.

> Most disturbingly, the error-code was apparently also accompanied by the
> deletion(!!) of the DB file.  No other files related to the table were altered
> or removed.  BDE version was 3.01 (32-bit).

> This is an isolated incident but the _cause of the incident remains unsolved.
> Any insights welcomed.

Re:ALERT: BDE Error $2303 on WinNT/Tutility, and DB-file deleted

In article <news-reply.6437.00AD9...@sundialservices.com> news-re...@sundialservices.com (Sundial Services) writes:

>We recently encountered an error-code from BDE (ERRCAT_IO + 3) being returned
>from Tutility (repair function) on a shared drive with an NT network.  In the
>same conditions, Paradox-7 hung while calling the "FillCrTblDesc" function to
>populate information about tables (any) in that directory; it did not get to
>the point where it would perform either a verify or a repair but had to be
>restarted.
>Most disturbingly, the error-code was apparently also accompanied by the
>deletion(!!) of the DB file.  No other files related to the table were altered
>or removed.  BDE version was 3.01 (32-bit).
>This is an isolated incident but the _cause of the incident remains unsolved.
>Any insights welcomed.

Additional information is that it is an NT 3.5 network and the locking
mechanism apparently malfunctioned.  Tables affected were in use at the moment
the operation was attempted and presumably should have been locked out.

In article <344EA207.1...@sasknet.sk.ca> Garry Kernan <traxs...@sasknet.sk.ca> writes:
>I have run into a situation where I am using DBRestructure and both
>versions of the BDE - 3.5 and 4.01 deleted my table.
>We keep our own data dictionary and have a product called dictmakr and
>another called rebuilding utility called DBTools. The purpose is to
>update our clients databases on version change.
>The crazyness is as follows:
>Since we have a record of indexes our strategy is to delete indexes,
>rename our table to become the eventual backup copy and then restructure
>from our table creating indexes, violation tables problem tables and end
>up with our original table name.
>As it turns out we can prepend anything we want (bak*.* to denote backup
>etc.) but if our original table name has 8 characters in the base name
>and we postpend (*bak.* for sorting reasons) the BDE deletes our table
>and tells us that dBASE is busy or paradox has some form of open
>violation. We can use a base name of 1 to 7 or 9 and larger without
>problems.
>My guess is a one off pointer error in the BDE???

I think you're on to something, Garry, although in this case none of the table
names were 8 characters long.  Obviously when some of these routines encounter
errors they throw up their hands, which they should not do.

However... I am also quite interested in hearing more about this "strategy" of
yours.  You are doing automatic version-updates in a most interesting way and
many of us would like to know more.

Other Threads