Borland Interbase Server vs MS SQL Server

I have been told they are similar, but would appreciate more
information about pros and cons.

Email me. I reply to every email.
Matthew

Re:Borland Interbase Server vs MS SQL Server

 Not even close! I like IB much better, and I have worked with both.

Go Dunston-Thomas page for a good white paper on comparing IB with other
servers.

http://www.interbase.dthomas.co.uk/

Matthew J. Brock - m...@azstarnet.com
Computer Solutions:AZ
Tucson, AZ

TVisualBasic:=class(None);

Matthew wrote in article <33ec682...@news.power.net.uk>...

In article <5skc9t$...@news.azstarnet.com> "Matthew J. Brock" <m...@azstarnet.com> writes:

> Not even close! I like IB much better, and I have worked with both.
>Go Dunston-Thomas page for a good white paper on comparing IB with other
>servers.
>http://www.interbase.dthomas.co.uk/
>Matthew wrote in article <33ec682...@news.power.net.uk>...
>>I have been told they are similar, but would appreciate more
>>information about pros and cons.

The products really *are* quite different, and IB has some very interesting
ideas (like "multi-generational architecture") which I am surprised other
vendors have not adopted.  I'm still ramping-up on IB at this point but this
product does appear to be "99% DBA-free."

Now, if the database in question were truly huge and the transaction load was
truly enormous, I don't know but that I would want more knobs, but it seems to
me from experience with other servers that they have *too many* knobs.  And
knobs do not equal functionality.

news-re...@sundialservices.com (Sundial Services) wrote:
>In article <5skc9t$...@news.azstarnet.com> "Matthew J. Brock" <m...@azstarnet.com> writes:
>> Not even close! I like IB much better, and I have worked with both.
>>Go Dunston-Thomas page for a good white paper on comparing IB with other
>>servers.
>>http://www.interbase.dthomas.co.uk/
>>Matthew wrote in article <33ec682...@news.power.net.uk>...
>>>I have been told they are similar, but would appreciate more
>>>information about pros and cons.
>The products really *are* quite different, and IB has some very interesting
>ideas (like "multi-generational architecture") which I am surprised other
>vendors have not adopted.  I'm still ramping-up on IB at this point but this
>product does appear to be "99% DBA-free."
>Now, if the database in question were truly huge and the transaction load was
>truly enormous, I don't know but that I would want more knobs, but it seems to
>me from experience with other servers that they have *too many* knobs.  And
>knobs do not equal functionality.

That's espacially true from Oracle servers. Informix' SE engine has
almost no knobs to twitch.

   Frederic G. MARAND
  Agorus SA / OSI SARL
  mailto: f...@soon.com