BDE vs Direct Access to DAO

Hi !

I hv am evaluating Timur Islamov's DAO objects to access 'mdb' files.
and generally found this to be quite simple and easy to use. The
downside being that some BDE features are not avaibale.

Is there any real benefits of switching to a BDE alternative such as
above.

Does anybody have experience with Timur's product or such simillar
components.

I hv also donloaded Adonis component suit, but unable to use since no
ADO installed. Where do I get ADO and how to install.

rgrds

Milind Phadke
qual...@giasbm01.vsnl.net.in

Re:BDE vs Direct Access to DAO

I recomend Diamond Access, above all other DAO replacements.

--
Chad Z. Hower - Church Hill, TN
http://www.pbe.com/Kudzu/ - Free Delphi and other stuff - Free articles now

Milind Phadke <qual...@giasbm01.vsnl.net.in> wrote in message

: Hi !
:

> We are in mid of converting an application from  dbase4 files to ???. This
is
> mainly due to heavier demands from the user causing a new version of the
in
> house system.  To keep costs minimum , we can not opt for a 'true' client
> server system, so someone suggested to use Access as the next best thing.

Given a choice between Access, DBase, or Paradox, Access would be my last
choice. Even Microsoft states that Access was never designed for multi-user
systems and may corrupt. DBase and Paradox aren't perfect either but in my
experience, and a general sense from many posts in these newsgroups, they
are at least somewhat better than Access.

Are you sure you can't afford a C/S system? Check out Interbase's prices.
Compare that to the *cost* of regularly corrupted data that is lost or has
to be fixed, the downtime involved and the frustration, etc. An SQL system
just might be cost effective in the long run.

Another alternative is to create a 3-tier system where only a single
"appserver" talks to the Access database, and all client apps talk to the
appserver. This is what MIDAS is all about in the Delphi C/S version.

--
Wayne Niddery - WinWright Consulting
Delphi, C++Builder, JBuilder, InterDev --

Re:BDE vs Direct Access to DAO

Thanks Chad !

We are in mid of converting an application from  dbase4 files to ???. This is
mainly due to heavier demands from the user causing a new version of the in
house system.  To keep costs minimum , we can not opt for a 'true' client
server system, so someone suggested to use Access as the next best thing.

With Diamond Access + Delpi this has been relatively easy, but is Access really
suitable for such task. We have a relatively small system, max table is about
25000 records, and the most active or master table has about 3500 records. The
number of concurrrent active users may be max 10. But during trials hv
repeatdly been facing 'corrupted mdb' file , that we can not even open again to
repair or compact.

Hv you any suggestion re this.

Thanks again,

Milind Phadke
qual...@giasbm01.vsnl.net.in

Chad Z. Hower wrote:
> I recomend Diamond Access, above all other DAO replacements.

> --
> Chad Z. Hower - Church Hill, TN
> http://www.pbe.com/Kudzu/ - Free Delphi and other stuff - Free articles now
> also online
> http://www.pbe.com/Winshoes/ - Free internet components w source

> Milind Phadke <qual...@giasbm01.vsnl.net.in> wrote in message
> : Hi !
> :
> : I hv am evaluating Timur Islamov's DAO objects to access 'mdb' files.
> : and generally found this to be quite simple and easy to use. The
> : downside being that some BDE features are not avaibale.
> :
> : Is there any real benefits of switching to a BDE alternative such as
> : above.
> :
> : Does anybody have experience with Timur's product or such simillar
> : components.
> :
> : I hv also donloaded Adonis component suit, but unable to use since no
> : ADO installed. Where do I get ADO and how to install.
> :
> : rgrds
> :
> : Milind Phadke
> : qual...@giasbm01.vsnl.net.in
> :
> :

Re:BDE vs Direct Access to DAO

You may want to check out FlashFiler by Turbopower (www.turbopower.com).  I
have only used it for creating self-contained (i.e. no BDE) database apps,
but it is in fact a true client-server database.  Native Delphi components,
nothing extra to distribute with your apps, no royalties or per-seat fees.
There are issues to be aware of, but a number of people have reported great
success using it in its client-server mode.  Check Turbopower's newsgroups
for lots more info.

Jack Johnson

> [...]

> > : I hv also donloaded Adonis component suit, but unable to use since no
> > : ADO installed. Where do I get ADO and how to install.
> > :
> > : rgrds
> > :
> > : Milind Phadke
> > : qual...@giasbm01.vsnl.net.in
> > :
> > :

Re:BDE vs Direct Access to DAO

Milind Phadke <qual...@giasbm01.vsnl.net.in> wrote in message

: We are in mid of converting an application from  dbase4 files to ???. This
is
: mainly due to heavier demands from the user causing a new version of the
in
: house system.  To keep costs minimum , we can not opt for a 'true' client
: server system, so someone suggested to use Access as the next best thing.

Too bad you can't go to Interbase.

: With Diamond Access + Delpi this has been relatively easy, but is Access
really
: suitable for such task. We have a relatively small system, max table is
about
: 25000 records, and the most active or master table has about 3500 records.
The
: number of concurrrent active users may be max 10. But during trials hv

Should be ok - expect a lot of network traffic though.

: repeatdly been facing 'corrupted mdb' file , that we can not even open
again to
: repair or compact.

Upgrade to Access 97. This was a VERY frequent problem with Access 2.0. And
Access 95 was just plain buggy....

--
Chad Z. Hower - Church Hill, TN
http://www.pbe.com/Kudzu/ - Free Delphi and other stuff - Free articles now
also online
http://www.pbe.com/Winshoes/ - Free internet components w source

Re:BDE vs Direct Access to DAO

Thanks Jack !

Hv you had any experience with FlashFiler on Novell + Win 95 client ! From the
demo down load it seems like it is only NT based solution ?

Qould appreciate in general your comments re FlashFiler since can not really
'try' any demo/evaluation stuff other than the precompiled demo.

TIA,

Milind
qual...@giasbm01.vsnl.net.in

Jack V. Johnson wrote:
> [...]

> > > http://www.pbe.com/Winshoes/ - Free internet components w source

> > > Milind Phadke <qual...@giasbm01.vsnl.net.in> wrote in message
> > > : Hi !
> > > :
> > > : I hv am evaluating Timur Islamov's DAO objects to access 'mdb' files.
> > > : and generally found this to be quite simple and easy to use. The
> > > : downside being that some BDE features are not avaibale.
> > > :
> > > : Is there any real benefits of switching to a BDE alternative such as
> > > : above.
> > > :
> > > : Does anybody have experience with Timur's product or such simillar
> > > : components.
> > > :
> > > : I hv also donloaded Adonis component suit, but unable to use since no
> > > : ADO installed. Where do I get ADO and how to install.

Not personally - a number of posters to the Turbopower newsgroups report
success.  You have 2 choices, as I understand it:
1) Run the FlashFiler engine on a Win32 (NT or 95/98) PC & point it at data
files residing on the Netware server.  This is reported to be slow due to
the increased network traffic, but your data is on the server.

2) Run the FF engine and store the data on a Win32 (NT or 95/98) PC.
Reported to be much faster, but now you have potentially critical data on
another machine to worry about.

You might want to lurk &/or post questions in the TP newsgroups - the users
are very helpful & happy to answer questions.

Jack Johnson

Milind Phadke wrote:
> Where do I get ADO and how to install.

DAO 2.5 is on the Excel 95 or Office Prof. 95 CD. You find it under Data
Access witn Visual Basic (I dont know the exact Point, because my
version is German :-))
DAO 3.0 is on Excel 97 and Office Prof 97 but i dont have expirence in
this DAO
Best Regards
Ekkehard
--
DomIS Internet Solution - Ekkehard Domning
Spahner Str. 11 - D-49751 S?gel

Other Threads