Cheap SQL Database?

Hi

Does anyone know of a VERY cheap SQL database (accessible from Delphi of
course) which I can use instead of interbase to distribute with a shareware
app I am writing? It must be cheap to keep the cost of the app down.

Thanks

Re:Cheap SQL Database?

Try :
    MySQL (for Win32 or Linux)
    or
    Postgresql (for Linux)
    or
    MiniSQL (for Linux)

SETI Software Pty Ltd wrote in message <3634f58...@139.134.5.33>...

>Hi

>Does anyone know of a VERY cheap SQL database (accessible from Delphi of
>course) which I can use instead of interbase to distribute with a shareware
>app I am writing? It must be cheap to keep the cost of the app down.

>Thanks

Re:Cheap SQL Database?

I see the other reply gave a list of Linux-based SQL servers. This is about
the only platform that you will get free or cheap servers for. I really
think that limiting your app to such a server would seriously shrink your
audience, perhaps even to zero.

Firstly, you are requiring a Linux system as database server - widely used,
but nowhere near as popular as NT or more traditional Unix servers. Also,
remember that Oracle and other well-known DB vendors have recently started
bringing out Linux versions of their products, and these will get the lion's
share of the Linux DB server market.

My advice: Make the software as generic as possible, using only standard
features where  you can. If you don't NEED an SQL server (specifically
multiple connections), use Paradox or Access. If you do need an SQL server,
go for a well-known one, but don't include it in the cost of your program.
List it in your requirements.

An alternative that is still in the making, is a little component that I
have been working on, and should be completed by the end of the week. You
basically set up a list of words that must be replaced for a specific
driver, and call one function for every query before you execute it. It then
adapts the SQL for the driver you are using. I will soon start working on a
BDE-tracing version.

Drop me an email if you're interested.

Kind Regards,
Cobus Kruger

SETI Software Pty Ltd wrote in message <3634f58...@139.134.5.33>...

>Hi

>Does anyone know of a VERY cheap SQL database (accessible from Delphi of
>course) which I can use instead of interbase to distribute with a shareware
>app I am writing? It must be cheap to keep the cost of the app down.

>Thanks

Other Threads