Board index » delphi » Programming serial ports under Win95 / Delphi 4.0

Programming serial ports under Win95 / Delphi 4.0

Hello,

is here anobody who has ever programmed the serial ports under Delphi
4.0 and Win95?
At the moment I experiment with a component called SMPort, but I have
some problems using it. Any experiencies?
I also experiment with another piece of code called TComport. Also
some questions. Any experiencies?
A third component called DLPortIO I found but I didnt use it up to
now. Any experiencies??
Or does anybody knows a better way of programming the serials.
Assembler is not my way :). And using the Win32API can also be
frustrating.

Any suggestions, help would he appreciated.

Thanks Chris

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Christian Trefz |                             | s_tr...@ira.uka.de
Berliner Str.5  | "Best life is cabrio drive" | www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~un3r
68775 Ketsch    |                             | Voice: +49 6202 61385

 

Re:Programming serial ports under Win95 / Delphi 4.0


On Sat, 26 Jun 1999 15:56:28 GMT, s_tr...@ira.uka.de (Christian Trefz)
wrote:

Quote
>>is here anobody who has ever programmed the serial ports under Delphi
>>4.0 and Win95?

Extensively, Christian.

I tried most/all of the Shareware and Freeware and finally spent the
bucks on TurboPower's AsynchPro.

While the learning curve is steep and the manual and help files are
poor the toolbox is rock solid and bullet proof. It handles a bunch of
stuff that would take weeks to code and stuff I have not found in any
of the freeware or shareware stuff.

If you are doing this for more than a hobby then don't mess with
anything else.

I have no connection to TurboPower other than being a customer since
about 1986. Thier stuff has always been very very good, and their
manuals and documentation consistantly poor as they assume you already
know a lot about the toolboxes.

Once you become familiar with the functions of the toolbox then the
manuals make more sense but they certainly don't start you off that
way.

Regards,

Peter Nolan
CEO Nolan Innovation Inc.
*********************************
http://aluminator.tierranet.com
Ph:   (520) 772-9730
Cellular: (520) 713-7016
Fax:  (520) 772-9839
*********************************

Re:Programming serial ports under Win95 / Delphi 4.0


On 26.06.99 Cristian Trefz wrote:

Quote
>   Hello,

>   is here anobody who has ever programmed the serial ports under Delphi
>   4.0 and Win95?
>   At the moment I experiment with a component called SMPort, but I have
>   some problems using it. Any experiencies?
>   I also experiment with another piece of code called TComport. Also
>   some questions. Any experiencies?
>   A third component called DLPortIO I found but I didnt use it up to
>   now. Any experiencies??
>   Or does anybody knows a better way of programming the serials.
>   Assembler is not my way :). And using the Win32API can also be
>   frustrating.

>   Any suggestions, help would he appreciated.

I tested some free comport components from the Net too. All had bugs :(
AFAIK the best comport component set is the library Async Pro.
Is available on the Net (sorry, I have no URL around, you can find it
with any search machine). But it's a commercial soft and is not so cheap :(
But it works :) It contains a lot of components from a simple communication
to dialing, faxing etc. But if you need a simple communication, it's easier
to write some sobroutines with API functions CreateFile, GetCommState,
SetCommState and WriteFile. It works too :) If you needed, I could send
my subroutines.
                            Regards
                                     Sergei

Re:Programming serial ports under Win95 / Delphi 4.0


Hello,

I'm currently using Async32 from Varian Software (found on DSP)
It's great and easy to use (sources included) for several serial devices.

Hubert

Christian Trefz a crit :

Quote
> Hello,

> is here anobody who has ever programmed the serial ports under Delphi
> 4.0 and Win95?
> At the moment I experiment with a component called SMPort, but I have
> some problems using it. Any experiencies?
> I also experiment with another piece of code called TComport. Also
> some questions. Any experiencies?
> A third component called DLPortIO I found but I didnt use it up to
> now. Any experiencies??
> Or does anybody knows a better way of programming the serials.
> Assembler is not my way :). And using the Win32API can also be
> frustrating.

> Any suggestions, help would he appreciated.

> Thanks Chris

> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Christian Trefz |                             | s_tr...@ira.uka.de
> Berliner Str.5  | "Best life is cabrio drive" | www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~un3r
> 68775 Ketsch    |                             | Voice: +49 6202 61385

Re:Programming serial ports under Win95 / Delphi 4.0


Try using Tcomm32 - works fine
Quote
"Sergei M. Komarov" wrote:
> On 26.06.99 Cristian Trefz wrote:

> >   Hello,

> >   is here anobody who has ever programmed the serial ports under Delphi
> >   4.0 and Win95?
> >   At the moment I experiment with a component called SMPort, but I have
> >   some problems using it. Any experiencies?
> >   I also experiment with another piece of code called TComport. Also
> >   some questions. Any experiencies?
> >   A third component called DLPortIO I found but I didnt use it up to
> >   now. Any experiencies??
> >   Or does anybody knows a better way of programming the serials.
> >   Assembler is not my way :). And using the Win32API can also be
> >   frustrating.

> >   Any suggestions, help would he appreciated.

> I tested some free comport components from the Net too. All had bugs :(
> AFAIK the best comport component set is the library Async Pro.
> Is available on the Net (sorry, I have no URL around, you can find it
> with any search machine). But it's a commercial soft and is not so cheap :(
> But it works :) It contains a lot of components from a simple communication
> to dialing, faxing etc. But if you need a simple communication, it's easier
> to write some sobroutines with API functions CreateFile, GetCommState,
> SetCommState and WriteFile. It works too :) If you needed, I could send
> my subroutines.
>                             Regards
>                                      Sergei

Re:Programming serial ports under Win95 / Delphi 4.0


In article <AC11yTt...@mailcom.lviv.ua>,

Quote
  koma...@mailcom.lviv.ua wrote:
> On 26.06.99 Cristian Trefz wrote:

> >   Hello,

> >   is here anobody who has ever programmed the serial ports under
Delphi
> >   4.0 and Win95?
> >   At the moment I experiment with a component called SMPort, but I
have
> >   some problems using it. Any experiencies?
> >   I also experiment with another piece of code called TComport. Also
> >   some questions. Any experiencies?
> >   A third component called DLPortIO I found but I didnt use it up
to
> >   now. Any experiencies??
> >   Or does anybody knows a better way of programming the serials.
> >   Assembler is not my way :). And using the Win32API can also be
> >   frustrating.

> >   Any suggestions, help would he appreciated.

> I tested some free comport components from the Net too. All had bugs
:(
> AFAIK the best comport component set is the library Async Pro.
> Is available on the Net (sorry, I have no URL around, you can find it
> with any search machine). But it's a commercial soft and is not so
cheap :(
> But it works :) It contains a lot of components from a simple
communication
> to dialing, faxing etc. But if you need a simple communication, it's
easier
> to write some sobroutines with API functions CreateFile, GetCommState,
> SetCommState and WriteFile. It works too :) If you needed, I could
send
> my subroutines.
>                             Regards
>                                      Sergei

i'd be very interresting to get examples of subroutines concerning API
function,i m trying to include a modem in my application,and i don't
know how...
Could you helb me?
thanks.
bertrand

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

Re:Programming serial ports under Win95 / Delphi 4.0


You can use MSCOMM32
It's include in the VC++ or VB or V...

Re:Programming serial ports under Win95 / Delphi 4.0


Quote
>   i'd be very interresting to get examples of subroutines concerning API
>   function,i m trying to include a modem in my application,and i don't
>   know how...
>   Could you helb me?
>   thanks.
>   bertrand

>   Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>   Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

Hi Bertran,
please send me a message direct to koma...@mailcom.lviv.ua,
and I'll answer you.
                           Regards
                                   Sergei

Re:Programming serial ports under Win95 / Delphi 4.0


If you want a damn good introduction to basic serial communication in
Delphi.. Then goto:

www.oop.com/white_papers/delphi/serial-communication.htm

Hope this may help you...

Regards Frode Jensen

On 28 Jun 1999 23:23:51 +0300, "Sergei M. Komarov"

Quote
<koma...@mailcom.lviv.ua> wrote:
>On 26.06.99 Cristian Trefz wrote:

>>   Hello,

>>   is here anobody who has ever programmed the serial ports under Delphi
>>   4.0 and Win95?
>>   At the moment I experiment with a component called SMPort, but I have
>>   some problems using it. Any experiencies?
>>   I also experiment with another piece of code called TComport. Also
>>   some questions. Any experiencies?
>>   A third component called DLPortIO I found but I didnt use it up to
>>   now. Any experiencies??
>>   Or does anybody knows a better way of programming the serials.
>>   Assembler is not my way :). And using the Win32API can also be
>>   frustrating.

>>   Any suggestions, help would he appreciated.

>I tested some free comport components from the Net too. All had bugs :(
>AFAIK the best comport component set is the library Async Pro.
>Is available on the Net (sorry, I have no URL around, you can find it
>with any search machine). But it's a commercial soft and is not so cheap :(
>But it works :) It contains a lot of components from a simple communication
>to dialing, faxing etc. But if you need a simple communication, it's easier
>to write some sobroutines with API functions CreateFile, GetCommState,
>SetCommState and WriteFile. It works too :) If you needed, I could send
>my subroutines.
>                            Regards
>                                     Sergei

Re:Programming serial ports under Win95 / Delphi 4.0


Hi

or visit my homepage to download a component for serial ports communication
--

*****************************************
 Michael Insberg
 ICQ: 11162908
 m...@scp.de
 http://home.scp.de/~michael
*****************************************

Frode jensen <fro...@c2i.net> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
3794648d.706...@news.online.no...

Quote
> If you want a damn good introduction to basic serial communication in
> Delphi.. Then goto:

> www.oop.com/white_papers/delphi/serial-communication.htm

> Hope this may help you...

> Regards Frode Jensen

> On 28 Jun 1999 23:23:51 +0300, "Sergei M. Komarov"
> <koma...@mailcom.lviv.ua> wrote:

> >On 26.06.99 Cristian Trefz wrote:

> >>   Hello,

> >>   is here anobody who has ever programmed the serial ports under Delphi
> >>   4.0 and Win95?
> >>   At the moment I experiment with a component called SMPort, but I have
> >>   some problems using it. Any experiencies?
> >>   I also experiment with another piece of code called TComport. Also
> >>   some questions. Any experiencies?
> >>   A third component called DLPortIO I found but I didnt use it up to
> >>   now. Any experiencies??
> >>   Or does anybody knows a better way of programming the serials.
> >>   Assembler is not my way :). And using the Win32API can also be
> >>   frustrating.

> >>   Any suggestions, help would he appreciated.

> >I tested some free comport components from the Net too. All had bugs :(
> >AFAIK the best comport component set is the library Async Pro.
> >Is available on the Net (sorry, I have no URL around, you can find it
> >with any search machine). But it's a commercial soft and is not so cheap
:(
> >But it works :) It contains a lot of components from a simple
communication
> >to dialing, faxing etc. But if you need a simple communication, it's
easier
> >to write some sobroutines with API functions CreateFile, GetCommState,
> >SetCommState and WriteFile. It works too :) If you needed, I could send
> >my subroutines.
> >                            Regards
> >                                     Sergei

Re:Programming serial ports under Win95 / Delphi 4.0


Windows Print Spooler
 (love it - hate it)
I am trying to control the windows print spooler.  I need to pause all
current print jobs, increase the print priority, and send a new job to
the top of the list.  (the ultimate in print priority)  Delphi does not
seem to be very helpful with my problems TPrinter only offers so much
and I am having trouble using the win api instructions.  Can anyone
help?  I have found free components to do the job but I would really
like some code so I can learn who it should be properly done.  
Than-x in advance, Jim

mailto:j...@canada.com
ps any help on this and Ill send you the best dam print object ever
made, (parallel, serial, direct, spooled etc)

Re:Programming serial ports under Win95 / Delphi 4.0


Quote
Bitte Baxter <bi...@home.com> wrote:
>Windows Print Spooler
> (love it - hate it)
>I am trying to control the windows print spooler.  I need to pause all
>current print jobs, increase the print priority, and send a new job to
>the top of the list.  (the ultimate in print priority)  Delphi does not
>seem to be very helpful with my problems TPrinter only offers so much
>and I am having trouble using the win api instructions.  Can anyone
>help?  I have found free components to do the job but I would really
>like some code so I can learn who it should be properly done.  

I can't help you with your problem but could you point me to the
components you found? I am looking for something to change the
default printer from within a Delphi program (and had the same
problems with the limited functionality of TPrinter you
mentioned).

Kind regards,

Kees Pijnenburg - P.O. Box 84   5374 ZG Schayk   The Netherlands
                  kpijn...@xs4all.nl

Other Threads