Restart Computer

Hy out there.

Is there any1 who can help me out.

I'm writeing a program for a computer with mostly only games on.  That some
kids out here can play on.  But I one to be able to check what they were
doing while i was gone.  End who was on it.  So that's why i've put a
password protected login on it.  But in order to be completly save I want
the computer to restart or hang after 3 incorect try's.

So is there anybody who can find out how you can restart the computer or
make ik hang so you only can reset.  A endless loop wont do. Tryed that
already!

Thnx

Bart

Re:Restart Computer

Bart Seresia heeft geschreven in bericht ...
>So is there anybody who can find out how you can restart the computer
or
>make ik hang so you only can reset.

>Bart

If you own a 486 or better:
Press DEL when you see the first screen, just after you have the
computer turned on. You now have entered the BIOS-setup program.

You should see two rows of items.
On the right side there are: SUPERVISOR PASSWORD and USER PASSWORD.
USER PASSWORD is used to protect the computer, and SUPERVISOR is used
to protect the BIOS-parameters. That is: a USER who doesn't know the
SUPERVISOR PASSWORD can not change his USER PASSWORD.
Select the one you want to set and type in a password.
(Remember it well or you cannot access your computer any more [without
opening the casing])
Use <Esc> to go back to the main screen.
Press: (F10) Save and Exit and answer Yes to save the settings.
Your computer now restarts, and everytime it is restarted or turned on
it begins with asking for a password.
Note: There are no ways to circumvent this password.
By pressing DEL as described above, the SUPERVISOR PASSWORD is needed
to enter the BIOS-setup again.

Hope this helps. Huub.

On Sun 18 Jun 2000 08:39:43p,  In article <8ijpka$eu...@news.IAEhv.nl>,
hvdoo...@iae.nl (Huub van Dooren) wrote:

>Bart Seresia heeft geschreven in bericht ...
>>So is there anybody who can find out how you can restart the computer
>or
>>make ik hang so you only can reset.

>>Bart

Bart,

Beware of advice you get any person who posts the identical message
three times.

<8ijp93$e9...@news.IAEhv.nl>
<8ijq2d$fe...@news.IAEhv.nl>
<8ijpka$eu...@news.IAEhv.nl>

Re:Restart Computer

Huub van Dooren wrote in <8ijpka$eu...@news.IAEhv.nl>...

>Hope this helps. Huub.

You've done it again.  Three times now.  Increase your timeouts yet.

--
Raimo Suonio, Helsinki, Finland
http://www.dlc.fi/%7Eexp-1/suonio/

Re:Restart Computer

Howdy.

>I'm writeing a program for a computer with mostly only games on.  That some
>kids out here can play on.  But I one to be able to check what they were
>doing while i was gone.  End who was on it.  So that's why i've put a
>password protected login on it.  But in order to be completly save I want
>the computer to restart or hang after 3 incorect try's.

>So is there anybody who can find out how you can restart the computer or
>make ik hang so you only can reset.  A endless loop wont do. Tryed that
>already!

After you have checked, and confirmed, that three incorrect passwords have
been entered you could call the following procedure:

Procedure WarmBoot; assembler;
Asm
        mov ax, 0040
        mov ds, ax
        mov ax, 1234
        mov [0072], ax
        jmp FFFF:0000
End; {Procedure WarmBoot}

Make sure you flush and close any open files before you do this.  Also, if
you have using something like QEMM, that little bit of code has been known
to lock a machine up.  QEMM 7.5+ traps the reboot sequence.

Good luck!

-Adam

--

Raimo Suonio heeft geschreven in bericht <8il6t8$c2...@tron.sci.fi>...

>You've done it again.
>--
>Raimo Suonio, Helsinki, Finland

Now set to 3 min 30 secs (as suggested).

Huub.

Re:Restart Computer

On Sun 18 Jun 2000 04:36:51p,  In article
<newscache$k2bdwf$k5...@news.freegates.be>,  bart.sere...@planetinternet.be

(Bart Seresia) wrote:

>Hy out there.

>Is there any1 who can help me out.

Sure.  Which way did you come in?

Re:Restart Computer

In article <8ILV9I$Q3...@news.iaehv.nl>,
Huub van Dooren <hvdoo...@iae.nl> wrote:

>Note: There are no ways to circumvent this password.

Actually there are. One could reset the BIOS, or one could simply remove
the hard disk and put it into a machine without the protection.

>By pressing DEL as described above, the SUPERVISOR PASSWORD is needed
>to enter the BIOS-setup again.

Using a different password is not advisable. One most probably will
forget the supervisor password and then one is out of luck. Btw
passwords are even on 386 machines.

Osmo

Re:Restart Computer

Osmo Ronkanen wrote:
> Huub van Dooren <hvdoo...@iae.nl> wrote:
>>Note: There are no ways to circumvent this password.

> Actually there are. One could reset the BIOS, or one could simply remove
> the hard disk and put it into a machine without the protection.

Both possibilities can be prevented with a simple mechanism and some
fast paint.

 - Sebastian

Re:Restart Computer

Bart Seresia wrote in message ...
>Hy out there.

>Is there any1 who can help me out.

>I'm writeing a program for a computer with mostly only games on.  That some
>kids out here can play on.  But I one to be able to check what they were
>doing while i was gone.  End who was on it.  So that's why i've put a
>password protected login on it.  But in order to be completly save I want
>the computer to restart or hang after 3 incorect try's.

>So is there anybody who can find out how you can restart the computer or
>make ik hang so you only can reset.  A endless loop wont do. Tryed that
>already!

>Thnx

>Bart

Try this:

uses dos;
var reg: registers;
begin
intr( $19, reg );
end.

Re:Restart Computer

Osmo Ronkanen heeft geschreven in bericht
<8j5vud$6d...@kruuna.Helsinki.FI>...
>In article <8ILV9I$Q3...@news.iaehv.nl>,
>Huub van Dooren <hvdoo...@iae.nl> wrote:
>>Note: There are no ways to circumvent this password.

>Actually there are. One could reset the BIOS, or one could simply
remove
>the hard disk and put it into a machine without the protection.

>Osmo

True. But I don't see the posters kids be able to do that.
Therefore irrelevant to elaborate on that issue.

I also wrote (irrc) some lines before:
(Remember it well or you will not be able to access your computer
[without opening the casing])

Happy nitpicking. Huub.

Other Threads